New to owning acreage

/ New to owning acreage
Kevin, your theory is probably better than my wife's untrained, tractor-judging eye. I wish I had seen it. I would not have been able to judge it back then either, but I would have taken a picture.

/ New to owning acreage #22  
You need something low to the ground, and wide so it doesn't tip over sideways.

/ New to owning acreage #23  
I recommend you see if your Deere dealer can get you an x749 that would be an ideal mower for your lawn. I would go for the 62" deck and mow the lawn at about four inches height. I live in the mountains in New Mexico and find this works well on out steep slopes. The 4ws is much better for turning uphill and the K92 transaxle setup with 4x4 can hold up to the steep hills you have.

/ New to owning acreage #24  
Have you given thought to a 4 wheel drive tractor? Mahindra makes the Max 22/25 series that is 4x4 that will slow you down on those hills, and it is over 50 inches wide which will aid in stability on those hills. With 7 acres, a machine like that would help you a lot.

/ New to owning acreage
I just looked at those, Don. They look waaay out of my price range. I might have to get goats and call it a day.

/ New to owning acreage #27  
I just looked at those, Don. They look waaay out of my price range. I might have to get goats and call it a day.
With the price of milk nowadays, that might not be such a bad idea:thumbsup:

But in all seriousness..........my backside is puckering just looking at your slopes. That 4x4 would help you a bunch. I've slid down dry slopes as easy as wet ones with a lawn tractor. With the 4x4 locked in, it's almost the same as 4 wheel braking with one of these machines.

/ New to owning acreage #28  
We used to live at a place with slopes like this. I would think a tractor would be scary on these hills. We used a Gravely 8163 on slopes like this.The engine is under the seat and it has a very low center of gravity. Unfortunately Gravely doesn't make riding tractors anymore.

/ New to owning acreage
I see a used Deere 425 (1,260 hours) for $3,500 locally on Craigslist. Should that be a contender?