New to the hay game

/ New to the hay game #1  

Steppenwolfe

Tractor
Kubota MX5400, 1140 RTV
Hey guys, we just bought a farm property that has about 30 open acres of prime farmland currently in orchard grass. I am not a farmer. We bought the property because it also has 25 acres of nice woods and a 1900 brick farmhouse. I am a General Contractor and want to renovate the house and enjoy the country life. I am hoping to find someone who will take the hay off. What should I be looking for? And what are the pro's and con's? Thanks for any help.

/ New to the hay game #2  
Was the land used by the previous owner? If not, you may already have the person using before wanting to stay on it.

If it's just marginal land, you might be fortunate just to having someone cut and bale it for free to save you the hassle of cutting it yourself.

If it's really good hayland, you could always charge per bale, example $5 for every round bale made, the doing all the work and machinery ownership has the biggest $$$ into any haying operation.

/ New to the hay game #3  
Is there a healthy barn on the property?

/ New to the hay game
Was the land used by the previous owner? If not, you may already have the person using before wanting to stay on it.

If it's just marginal land, you might be fortunate just to having someone cut and bale it for free to save you the hassle of cutting it yourself.

If it's really good hayland, you could always charge per bale, example $5 for every round bale made, the doing all the work and machinery ownership has the biggest $$$ into any haying operation.

Supposedly it was in hay production till the owner died 2 years ago, then went uncut. My son and I just spent 3 days bush hogging 30 acres of 18 inch tall dormant grasses and I guess some weeds. It is classified as prime farmland by the US Soil Survey. This land has been in various production for probably the better part of 200 years, mostly in tobacco. I have a friend of a friend coming by tomorrow to look at cutting the hay.

/ New to the hay game #6  
   / New to the hay game #7  
Supposedly it was in hay production till the owner died 2 years ago, then went uncut. My son and I just spent 3 days bush hogging 30 acres of 18 inch tall dormant grasses and I guess some weeds. It is classified as prime farmland by the US Soil Survey. This land has been in various production for probably the better part of 200 years, mostly in tobacco. I have a friend of a friend coming by tomorrow to look at cutting the hay.

Sounds promising, if it's good productive hay land you might be able to do shares and make some $ an no effort.

/ New to the hay game
Sounds promising, if it's good productive hay land you might be able to do shares and make some $ an no effort.

Honestly, I'm not interested in shares or making extra $ off it. I just want someone to keep it in good shape so I don't have to keep bush hogging it 2 or 3 times a year.

/ New to the hay game #10  

Yep. My guy does mine on shares. He does all the work and I get 50% of the hay. Then he buys my 50% at current market value.

Keeps the fields clean and I don't have to mess with it.