New to Tractor 4wd Question ?

/ New to Tractor 4wd Question ? #11  
Actually, both wheels on both ends drive [even] thru an open differential. Its just that, on each end, you only get twice the driving force of the wheel with the lesser traction.
larry

Quote Ductape:"The front differential is 'open', so the wheel with the least traction will spin. With your tractor in four wheel drive, it's really only two wheel drive..... one rear and one front. In four wheel drive with the differential locked, you have three wheel drive ........ both rears and one front."
I had wondered about that but never checked it..
Often I have seen 1 of front tires spin and the other not..

[[thanks! now I feel better!]]

thanks,
J
I have to wonder why. It is incorrect.
larry

/ New to Tractor 4wd Question ? #12  
Could the last wheel leaving the ground be the last one with traction, thereby causing the speed differences? Realizing it could have appeared that both wheels left the ground at the same time, but split seconds make a difference. David from jax

/ New to Tractor 4wd Question ? #13  
I have to wonder why. It is incorrect.
larry

I'm with RadarTech on this one.

If you have both wheels off the ground on the same axle, you should be able to stop one of them from spinning with your bare hands.

If you've ever taken an open differential apart, you'll see that there is no mechanism for transferring torque from one side to the other.

/ New to Tractor 4wd Question ? #14  
I'm with RadarTech on this one.

If you have both wheels off the ground on the same axle, you should be able to stop one of them from spinning with your bare hands.

If you've ever taken an open differential apart, you'll see that there is no mechanism for transferring torque from one side to the other.
Yes. Neither wheel has any traction, so you can stop either one easily by hand. An open differential lets wheels turn at different speeds and delivers the same torque to each.
larry