Tiller New to tractors and new tiller

/ New to tractors and new tiller #11  
If the ground is really hard, by all means water it and let the water soak in to loosen it up. Doesn't need a lot of water but enough the soil will be moist for a few inches. Even with a slip clutch it can be hard on the tiller gearbox to till really hard ground. If the slip clutch is a little loose, you'll end up burning it out. If it's a little too tight you could break teeth in the gearbox. Why take a chance if it's easy to water or wait till after it rains.

/ New to tractors and new tiller #12  
As gwdixon said, tilling very wet ground will ruin the soil structure. I did such a thing this spring on ground that had good tilth this past 40 years. It was worked with a walk behind those past years.

But new to a Kubota PTO tiller, I was anxious to get into garden this spring. It was too late when I noted that the subsoil was really wet.
Now I have these hardened
clods to deal with all summer.

My question is.......will it every get back to good tilth again???....assuming I don't do something dumb again.

Cheers,
Mike

/ New to tractors and new tiller #13  
As gwdixon said, tilling very wet ground will ruin the soil structure. I did such a thing this spring on ground that had good tilth this past 40 years. It was worked with a walk behind those past years.

But new to a Kubota PTO tiller, I was anxious to get into garden this spring. It was too late when I noted that the subsoil was really wet.
Now I have these hardened
clods to deal with all summer.

My question is.......will it every get back to good tilth again???....assuming I don't do something dumb again.

Cheers,
Mike

Yes, you can restore the soil. Get a hold of some mulch...wood chips are great. Then when the garden is done and the soil is slightly moist the mulch can be worked in while the tiller breaks up those clods. It will all be fine.

As far a acidic soil, most plants much prefer acidic soil. There are some that don't but, in general, the garden will do better with slightly acidic soil.

I had some topsoil dumped on my garden and I didn't check the PH. It was very alkaline and the garden that year was a total disaster. This year I started out by adding sulpher, which over time turns into sulfuric acid by the action of bacteria. Much, much better growing conditions. Point of the story...test that soil as others have said.

/ New to tractors and new tiller #14  
Thanks, gwdixon. We have had an unusual number of downpour rains this year. My fancy garden had three foot paths along the deer fence sides and a main path up the middle that is four feet wide.

These paths have had shredded tree limb mulch from my chipper/shredder over the past few years. But this year the many downpours keep floating the mulch off and filling the paths with mud. I keep it nice so the DIL, grandkids and neighbor kids can get in there to pick the stuff.

Thus, I think I'll just scoop up the mess and scatter it all into the garden and start over with the paths....as well as rejuvenate the soil tilth.
Cheers,
Mike

/ New to tractors and new tiller
Thanks for the info. All the ph and acid testing, I will leave my wife. She loves that Earth science stuff. I read on another thread about storing attachments on dollies. I have a workshop with the cement floor that was planning to store attachments ins. I went to Harbor freight and bought some dollies those things broke on the first try. Do any of you try this method, if so what brand or do you make your own dollars for attachments

/ New to tractors and new tiller #16  
You have to build your own. I buy the metal casters at TSC- nothing safety related from Harbor Freight. Steel came with the backhoe. Your tiller likely weighs well over 500lbs.

backhoe dolly03.jpg