Tractor Sizing New to tractors, could use some advice

/ New to tractors, could use some advice #1  

iamandy

Tractor
In the Market
My wife and I recently bought a house with some land and we plan on growing and raising some animals on the property. With that, the wife suggested I purchase a tractor. After I recovered from the shock, I realized I didn't know anything about tractors or what size we should get. For the use, We have a 2400 soft garden, we are planing on clearing more of our property in the next year or two, and possibly plowing our driveway. I'm looking at either a Kioti or Kubota unless someone can convince me otherwise. So, I'm looking for suggestions on sizing if you have any

/ New to tractors, could use some advice #2  
Consider the size of the attachments you will be wanting to use...sounds like you will be wanting a tiller and probably, hiller/bedder discs maybe, then the grading tools etc...The bigger /heavier the implements the heavier more powerful tractor needed...
Good Luck...

/ New to tractors, could use some advice #3  
We need to know more about your budget, and more about what you want to do with it. Clearing land could mean mowing back some weeds or bulldozing a hillside. Also, when you talk about plowing the driveway, is that a 200' driveway or half a mile? How much snow do you get in a year, and how much usually comes down at once?

/ New to tractors, could use some advice #4  
Buy green if possible!

This should get the discussion moving!

/ New to tractors, could use some advice #5  
Ignore the troll.

Give us some idea of acreage and dreams. For example a small plot like 10 or 20 acres might be handled by a 30HP tractor fairly well, unless you have limiting factors.

Do you have a massive stone gate 5 feet wide to get through? limiting factor
A garage with a 6' high door? limiting factor
A bridge that will only support 3,000 lbs? limiting factor
A need to lift a 10' log that weighs a ton to put it on your sawmill? limiting factor

What type of "animals"? Chickens and rabbits, no problem. Horses and pigs you'll need more lift capacity.

Can you read manuals and repair a tractor? That will let you get used with more confidence.

And what is often the most limiting factor is the size of your tractor budget.

Try and look into your future and envision what you may be doing 5 years later.

/ New to tractors, could use some advice
I'd call my driveway more of an almost 10,000sqft parking lot. Up here in NH we get anywhere from a dusting to I've seen a couple feet per storm in recent years. For land clearing, I have some young trees that need to be cleared out and eventually turned into farmable land.

/ New to tractors, could use some advice
Ignore the troll.

Give us some idea of acreage and dreams. For example a small plot like 10 or 20 acres might be handled by a 30HP tractor fairly well, unless you have limiting factors.

Do you have a massive stone gate 5 feet wide to get through? limiting factor
A garage with a 6' high door? limiting factor
A bridge that will only support 3,000 lbs? limiting factor
A need to lift a 10' log that weighs a ton to put it on your sawmill? limiting factor

What type of "animals"? Chickens and rabbits, no problem. Horses and pigs you'll need more lift capacity.

Can you read manuals and repair a tractor? That will let you get used with more confidence.

And what is often the most limiting factor is the size of your tractor budget.

Try and look into your future and envision what you may be doing 5 years later.

I have about 3 acres currently. There aren't any limiting factors, as far as size or weight are concerned, except the fact that you just put a sawmill into my head. Thanks for that. ;) I can read manuals and I have some engine and mechanical knowledge. I'm still talking the wife into a horse or two. For now, we are looking at adding pigs and goats to our chickens.

/ New to tractors, could use some advice #8  
Could things to consider...
What type of transmission...HST or Gear shift,Tire thread,Cab,Attachments,Your land flat or hilly,Wet or Dry.
Starting around 30hp good.

/ New to tractors, could use some advice #9  
I have about 3 acres currently. There aren't any limiting factors, as far as size or weight are concerned, except the fact that you just put a sawmill into my head. Thanks for that. ;) I can read manuals and I have some engine and mechanical knowledge. I'm still talking the wife into a horse or two. For now, we are looking at adding pigs and goats to our chickens.
If your primary tractor usage isn't mowing lawns, the CK series Kioti's or L series Kubota's would be my suggestion.

/ New to tractors, could use some advice #10  
Make sure your wife enjoys using it- pays dividends all around- and it lets her do her projects as well. Rochester, NH has some cold winters. I'd suggest a cab/heat and a plug in block heater. Good for snow removal and winter use.

I have a 30 hp and that does fine for me, Everyone always says bigger is better, but too big is less maneuverable. Get the tires filled - better traction. Avoid calcium chloride- corrodes. Beet juice/Rim guard is good. Plan on a set of chains for winter. There is always equipment for sale on craigslist - no need to rush out and buy it.

I like New Holland. Used or new- that depends on how you want to handle the cost - cash, financed, etc. Just like a car- you'll be expected to insure a financed tractor.

Read the reviews on the tractor forums on this site- a lot of info, Name brands like Deere, Kubota tend to run more expensive. Less common brands are cheaper. Chinese tractors are the cheapest - (Northern Tool, etc) and some love them, some scorn them. - Read the forums, worth it.

Many people do well with under 30 hp - depends on your needs. But look for a FEL- front end loader, and 4 wheel drive. You tube has videos of everything, Tractordata.com gives you a quick summary. TractorData.com - information on all makes and models of tractors
HP of the tractor is different than pto shaft hp (hp running implements , tillers etc. that need power).
Good luck.