New to tractors ford 1700 question.

/ New to tractors ford 1700 question. #111  
Help! My husband and I just bought a 1700. My first time on anything bigger than a lawnmower. Anyways, how does the cold start aid work? I'm pretty sure mine isn't. Of course I'm not really doing anything to actually turn it on either...Do you have to turn it on? Don't laugh, I mean to tackle this sucker even if it kills me. So like I said before.....HELP?!

/ New to tractors ford 1700 question. #112  
Welcome to TBN Blue :)

1700 is great little tractor with much potential if it is in good working condition. I have never had a hard time starting mine in cold but I always summer or winter use the glow plug for at least 15-20 second or till the wire timer indicator glows red. You want to make sure if you have voltage at the glow plugs. give us a bit more info about age, condition of your machine and what problem if any you have to get it going. Remember you have to have fuel available for combustion and compression for it to start. what is your mechanical experience along with your husband as a tag team?

Help! My husband and I just bought a 1700. My first time on anything bigger than a lawnmower. Anyways, how does the cold start aid work? I'm pretty sure mine isn't. Of course I'm not really doing anything to actually turn it on either...Do you have to turn it on? Don't laugh, I mean to tackle this sucker even if it kills me. So like I said before.....HELP?!

/ New to tractors ford 1700 question. #113  
If you have Glo Plugs, turn the Key to the left for about 20 seconds.

/ New to tractors ford 1700 question. #114  
I just recieved an All States AG Parts Catalog and WoW! 1700 parts are as rare as Hen's Teeth and of course what they do have are pricey.
I finally got my new solenoid installed and drove the tractor around for awhile but the alternator light is still on. The glow plug light has gone off, finally, but not so with the alternator. I need to run a bunch of tests before I install my new voltage regulator but I can't get enough juice to get it started. Using the key the engine barely turns over and with it hot-wired I get the same results. I've jumped the battery, and installed a fully charged battery but get no umpf to the starter. It turns but not fast enough nor long enough to start. I've cleaned the posts and wires but again nothing. Next, I'll replace the +/- wire leads to the battery but beyond that I'm at a loss. When I had it started the last time it was just after I had replaced the starter and alternator wires so I know what I did has worked. I didn't have a dual wire clip to connect to the alternator (solenoid and starter wires) so I used two seperate clips. Could that be a problem? I don't think so, because it did start after I made that adjustment. What next? The extra wire on the positive battery wire is only for exterior solenoids (not attached to the starter), correct?

Last edited:
   / New to tractors ford 1700 question. #115  
Also my glo plug coil does not heat up and glow. How come?

/ New to tractors ford 1700 question. #116  
Also my glo plug coil does not heat up and glow. How come?

Have you made any voltage measurement? there is no timer or relay with the glow plug. The glow indicator is just a piece of resistive wire that will glow red in many seconds indicating flow to the circuit and time required for the preheat. Need to see if you have juice in the battery side of the glow indicator. If glow indicator is open (burnt) then you can use may a 18 gauge wire to short the contact. it will kind of act like a slow fuse and completes the circuit if you have your key in pre-heat position. Give it 10 to 20 seconds for proper pre heat. You might measure voltage right at the glow plug for verification. You can take out the glow plug and put 12 volt on and measure the heat with IR thermometer. What is the output of the alternator and how that change with varying rpm?

JC,

/ New to tractors ford 1700 question. #117  
Thank you. As directed I'll check the juice to both the glo plug and the indicator coil. I can't start my tractor at the moment because of lack of juice to the starter. I've tried to clean up the wires to the battery but in starting all I get is a slow turn. I had spliced new wires to the solenoid, alternator, and voltage regular, it started the first time, but now all it does is drag. I've recharged the battery and tried jumping it but get the same results! Must be a week positive or negative lead to the battery. Yes, or maybe?

/ New to tractors ford 1700 question. #118  
Hey, do you have pictures of the equipment you've manufactured? I would like to find or have made a rock comb to attach to my front loader to pick up river rock. The comb would seperate the rock from the dirt, leave the dirt and allow me to load the rock for dumping on my rock pile. Any leads or ideas? If possible, I want a loader attachment and not a pull behind.

/ New to tractors ford 1700 question. #119  
Thank you. As directed I'll check the juice to both the glo plug and the indicator coil. I can't start my tractor at the moment because of lack of juice to the starter. I've tried to clean up the wires to the battery but in starting all I get is a slow turn. I had spliced new wires to the solenoid, alternator, and voltage regular, it started the first time, but now all it does is drag. I've recharged the battery and tried jumping it but get the same results! Must be a week positive or negative lead to the battery. Yes, or maybe?
have you checked the starter??

/ New to tractors ford 1700 question. #120  
Thanks for the advice. I'll try the differnet steps once I get the tractor restarted. I can't get enough juice to the starter. I installed a new solenoid and it started super the first time but hasn't started since. I've have several volt meters and learn something new each time I use one. My glo plug light in the dash goes off after starting but the alternator light stays on and is not charging. I see that I've written to you on several different pages and it may seem like I'm repeating myself. If I am, please just ignore my repetativity, much like stupidity, both can come with age I just don't know which came first..