new to tractors...please help

/ new to tractors...please help #1  

doublez

Hello all,

I am not new to operating tractors, but am new to owning one and I am ready to purcase one for my new residence. I plan on mostly grading my driveway, pushing snow, light debris removal, etc....

I have considered either a Kioti (mistake) or the equivalent Kubota. The main differences are $4,000 and the Kubota is a hydrostatic. How much of a difference will the hydro make? Do you folks think the Kioti is a mistake?

Thanks for taking the time to help,

ZZ

/ new to tractors...please help #2  
doublez, I don't know anything bad about a Kioti, or maybe I should say I haven't heard anything bad about them. I have no personal experience, so really don't know anything one way or the other. I do believe resale would be better on Kubota, John Deere, or New Holland. And if you search through the old messages, you'll find some people who prefer geared tractors, but I think the vast majority of us have a strong preference for the HST. With compact tractors, and especially if you intend to do a lot of maneuvering and changing directions, the HST will let you work faster, easier, and safer. I can certainly understand wanting to save $4k, but personally, I'd give $4k more for a Kubota with HST than a Kioti without it.

Bird

/ new to tractors...please help #3  
I certainly agree with Bird - go with a Kubota or any other brand name Japanese make.(when I first started looking at tractors I ignored Kubota because I didn't want a japanese tractor, I wanted an American one, like John Deere. Imagine my surprise when I opened up the hood on the first 4100 I saw and read the name "Yanmar"!) I looked at the Kioti, as well as several Chinese tractors, before settling in on my Kubota, and I never, ever regret the extra money spent. The quality difference is night and day, and that can only mean better function and longer life of the machine. Add in the superior ergonomics and features on the more modern design machines, and unless you absolutely positively can not scrape up the added money, your only logical choice is a name brand product.As far as hydro versus gear, funny you should ask right now. Just 10 minutes ago I finished spreading manure in 6 inches of snow, and as I was backing the spreader back into place I thought how dangerous this would be with a gear transmission, knowing that sooner or later my icy boot would slip off of the clutch pedal, sending my tractor somewhere it shouldn't go. If for no other reason than SAFETY, get a hydro no matter what it costs over a gear, in my opinion.

/ new to tractors...please help #4  
PaulB, were you remembering my message a long time ago about my brother-in-law letting his wet foot slip off the clutch and poking his brush hog right through the back wall of his storage shed?/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

Bird

/ new to tractors...please help #5  
I know a contractor who uses a Kioti for small jobs, and it seems to be working well for him. He has only had it for about a year, so it's kind of early to say.
On the hst, I have to agree with Bird. Especially if you plan to do a lot of fel work. It's faster, and a lot easier on the operator.

ErnieB
"Who will go with old Ben Milam into San Antonio?"
Ben Milam 1835

/ new to tractors...please help #6  
It sure is hard to get a word in edge-wise around here. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

There's not much left for me to say except "ditto". I'd avoid the Kioti if for no other reason than you'll take a terrible beating on it if you ever decide to upgrade, which is more likely than you might now suspect, especially when you consider the fact that you can usually trade in a good quality name-brand tractor without losing much of your original investment.

As for the HST, I'd consider that a prerequisite to any tractor purchase, unless you know you have some special application that requires a gear transmission. This issue has been thoroughly flogged on this forum, so try doing a search sometime when you've got a few hours to spare - you'll be amazed at what you turn up. For starters, though, as has already been mentioned in the responses to your question, the major reasons in favor of HST are: Safety, productivity, safety, ease-of-use, and safety. I've also found they're more economical to run than other transmissions for most Compact Utility Tractor uses. And let's not forget to mention the other major advantage of HST, either: safety.

MarkC
ChalkleySig2.gif

/ new to tractors...please help #7  
doulbez,
First of all welcome. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

This much I can tell you about Kioti tractors in my area.
The dealers are far and few between and 99% of tractor owners go with the top 3 name brands,for services and sales.

Yes four grand just as good in your pocket than a dealers,but like the old Fram oil counter man say's "you can pay me now or pay me later $$$" I would spend the extra $$ for things aren't getting cheaper.

HST..you just can't beat it if you plan useing FEL or mowing.

Just take your time and ask questions,for you are making a long term investment.

Thomas..NH /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ new to tractors...please help #8  
Big Three? What about Big Four? My advice, Massey Ferguson. I don't know what size(Hp) you are looking at, but they have a range that covers 16-40Hp. I have had a 1020-f.w.a. with loader, brush cutter, 5-ft finish mower, grader blade, and a tiller. It has been absolutly trouble free.
The new models are even better. Check out the operators platform. You can actually get on and off them.
The Masseys are made by Isiki in Japan(as are all compact diesels) who was, and may still be owned by MF.
My two cents.

/ new to tractors...please help #9  
If you want to compare price with a kioti you will find that both Kubota and John Deere have non hydro models that have an excellent reputation that are very close in price. I would highly recommend a hydro trans, I never used one before but after having it I would never go back, the time savings is amazing at times. You can do things with smaller implements in a timely fasion because you can change direction so quickly and you have a free hand to operate with. I bought a 4 wheel drive compact called Power-Trac.
25 hp but not diesel. It is entirely made in the USA (the motor is a kohler), and I would put it up against any machine that was under $20,000 with FEL. (www.power-trac.com)
I have not found anybody else in the forum that has on yet, sometimes I feel like I have to realy wave my flag hard to be heard.

/ new to tractors...please help #10  
Yeah I know the gear/HST subject has been discussed ad nauseum already, but I don't recall seeing anyone's opinion of how well HST will last compared to gears. I don't know anything about how HST works but it seems like switching momentum so fast, repeatedly, has to be hard on something? And why don't tractors in the 40 hp range come with it?