new to tractors...please help

/ new to tractors...please help #21  
HST has been around for a while now, even on the compact tractors since around 1990... so the 10-year old models with thousands of hours are in fact out there. Overall reliability problems with HST would be heard loud and clear... the fact is the companies who developed these transmissions put a lot into the development...

As for the larger tractors, we're starting to see them bigger and bigger with the HST. The latest bad boy with HST is the L48 TLB/monster. A ton of weight (7760lbs, to be exact /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif) and an intended use that promises to be rough on the tractor and transmission... the development of HST has come a long way for sure. It wouldn't surprise me to see 50+ HP tractors with HST in the future. If you're thinking about long (LONG) term reliability (like, 50 years) ... who knows! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif Very few owners of tractors in the HP range that have HST options will keep them 50 years anyway... I would compare it to the automatic/manual transmission reliability comparison in cars, although tractor transmissions are probably much more reliable overall.

msig.gif

/ new to tractors...please help #22  
I had to jump in on this one. I grew up on an old Wheel Horse yard/garden tractor with hydro in the mid 60's, I think they called it an auto then, and it was as tough as they come.... My father finally trashed the tractor sometime in the 80's when the Kohler engine finally wasn't worth rebuilding. The transmission never, to my knowledge, needed repairs and someone bought it when the tractor was retired, for what I don't remember. I do remember that the same transaxle was used in airport machinery when Wheel Horse adapted/used it for their tractors. It leaked fluid like crazy, but never gave out, and we dogged it bad. I would do wheelies as a kid with it and the ole man would jerk stumps to the point of lifting the rear tires off the ground at the end of the chain at full speed... My uncle sold it to us as a demo with the caveate that we put it thru whatever we could and Wheel Horse would back it up if damaged. They never had to touch the transmission. So, I've been sold on hydro for years....

Kinda long, but was just reading and reminiscing...

The Crowes

/ new to tractors...please help #23  
<font color=blue>jerk stumps to the point of lifting the rear tires off the ground at the end of the chain at full speed</font color=blue>

Well, that sounds interesting... /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif Perhaps not the safest thing to do with a tractor (in other words... please don't try this!!!) but interesting that the HST stood up to it!

msig.gif

/ new to tractors...please help #25  
I could be wrong about this but I think Cat loaders have used HST or something like it for several years. Larger size? How about the 992 that is about the size of a small house.

Ernie
"At the Rio Grande; the weather moderates; thermometer 46 degrees" Diary entry Feb 14, 1836
Col. Juan N. Almonte

/ new to tractors...please help #26  
ERNIEB,
Wasn't the HST setup one of the selling features for the JD dozer 750 than the 850,and dozer operator love it mostly loggers building the roads thru the woods.

Thomas..NH /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ new to tractors...please help #27  
Hi All,

Fruit lady.....Nice to see a woman on a tractor board with a sense of humor /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif!

Actually HST has been around for long time. John Deere has used it in their garden tractors for years and Combines have been equipped with it for years as well. If you talk to any ag mechanics ask them how many HST's they have replaced, not many! Usually the only way to tear one up is through pure neglect and abuse. Heat and dirt are the main enemy of an HST. One thing they do is lower overall h.p. rating because they require more h.p., fluid vs. direct engagement (gear). Overall they are hard to beat and I think the resale value is greater or a compact equipped with the hst.

2-31714-Cliffsig.gif

/ new to tractors...please help #28  
The best advise I can offer is do your reasearch talk to some owners of the types of tractors you are intrested in and then try them out. Most dealers will let you test them out if they think your a serious buyer....some will even deliver one to your place for a trial run. The bottom line is you have to find what suits you, your needs and pocketbook $$. Tractors are
alot like cars in the respect of prefrences and needs...there are folks that say this brand is best or that one is best....you just have to find what suits you best overall.
I bought a Kubota and have no regrets at all so far.

/ new to tractors...please help #29  
I don't know if you have purchased your tractor yet but if you haven't I just bought a Kioti DK35 and really like it. I looked at all and I mean all the others from chinese to american and chose Kioti. See my other posts. I don't care where a tractor comes form as long as the quality, durability and price is there. I found the chinese tractors to be about 30 years behind all the rest in quality. The japanese tractors that are renamed and sold are good quality and durability but cost too much. And when I say cost too much I mean for the same features not some econo model. Kubota is a really good tractor and actually uses it real name. Of all Kubota would be my next choice after Kioti. Kioti really impressed me with Quality, Durability and Cost. Now I know the renames and even Kubota have higher resale right now but I think when Kioti gets going you will find all us that bought them now will be reselling them for what we paid for them or more. I don't even care about resale because I plan to keep mine for a long time. Kioti Power!

JB