New Tractor DX40, New Member!

/ New Tractor DX40, New Member! #21  
rayh76 said:
If anyone has any good thoughts on a type of trailer for this tractor and my Chevy 1500 Z71 please let me know. I think I will be right up to my max trailer weight of 7,800 lbs if I go with a 2 5200# axled trailer. Anyone out there with a DX40 pulling with a 1/2 ton? I do live in Kansas and don't plan on taking this into the mountains. Thanks.

I think if you are primarily going to stay in the Hutch area, you will be fine with the dual 5200# axles. Even with a backhoe, you'll probably not top that maximum weight. Most of the time, even with loaded tires, you will be under 6500# with the tractor.

/ New Tractor DX40, New Member! #22  
rayh76 said:
Well guys, the hour meter on my tractor is having problems!!! Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't! Anyone else had this problem?? Thanks.

Are you watching the meter while the tractor is idling or working hard?

/ New Tractor DX40, New Member!
Thanks for the reply Jinman. I have appreciated many of your posts as I have been learning. The DX40 is 2860 lbs, loader=750lbs, bucket=260lbs, wheel weights=420lbs, grill gaurd~50lbs, FOPS~50lbs, LP quick hitch~50lbs equals ~4440lbs. Not sure what a backhoe weighs but my tiller should be ~800lbs. That would total 5240 lbs. A 10,000 lb trailer should be ~2500lbs. That total would be 7740 lbs. That is just under the 7,800 lbs max trailer weight of the chevy. Throw in some chains, full tank of gas, and I am over. This is the reason for me asking the question. The farthest I plan on hauling is ~160 miles one way.

I was watching the hour meter when working and it was not moving at all. I shutdown the tractor for while, then went back to work and it immediately started working and did so the remaining of the day.

Again thanks everyone!

/ New Tractor DX40, New Member! #24  
a few things I discovered on my DX

1. remove those lights from the ROPS and store in a safe place as they are
easily broken off by stray branches.

2. if you notice that the tractor backs up painfully slow, there is a stopper
bolt by the underneath the reverse pedal that can be adjusted to allow
faster backup speeds

3. I found that inverted "U" style quick hitch to be of little benefit with
the deluxe style side arms. It actually slowed down implement changes.
(my experience might be skewed due to a hydraulic top link that makes it
even easier)

4. One relatively inexpensive implement that is of great use is a set of
QA pallet forks. If you don't have a set already get them asap, probably
can be acquired for under $500. It will greatly expand the utility
of the front loader

happy tractoring!!

Rich

Thanks for the tips, ideas, and comments! Keep them coming!
Ray

/ New Tractor DX40, New Member! #26  
rayh76 said:
The DX40 is 2860 lbs, loader=750lbs, bucket=260lbs, wheel weights=420lbs, grill gaurd~50lbs, FOPS~50lbs, LP quick hitch~50lbs equals ~4440lbs. Not sure what a backhoe weighs but my tiller should be ~800lbs. That would total 5240 lbs. A 10,000 lb trailer should be ~2500lbs. That total would be 7740 lbs. That is just under the 7,800 lbs max trailer weight of the chevy. Throw in some chains, full tank of gas, and I am over. This is the reason for me asking the question. The farthest I plan on hauling is ~160 miles one way.

Ray, I'm no hauling expert, but there are several issues I've found to be considered. Tongue weight is critical in a half-ton pickup. You can put heavy-duty shocks on the rear, but in standard form the truck will be prone to squat. Also, be sure to put brakes on both axles of any trailer you tow. Those half-ton brakes are just not made to stop that load behind you. With attention to tongue weight and trailer brakes, I'd bet that 160 mile trip will go very easy except for the thirsty engine doing the pulling.;)

jinman said:
Ray, I'm no hauling expert, but there are several issues I've found to be considered. Tongue weight is critical in a half-ton pickup. You can put heavy-duty shocks on the rear, but in standard form the truck will be prone to squat. Also, be sure to put brakes on both axles of any trailer you tow. Those half-ton brakes are just not made to stop that load behind you. With attention to tongue weight and trailer brakes, I'd bet that 160 mile trip will go very easy except for the thirsty engine doing the pulling.;)

Thanks Jim. I am feeling more confident that sometime soon I can pick me up a trailer.

I am surprised no one had a comment about the price I paid for the tractor. Was hoping that you all thought that I got a good deal. I was told by the dealer that if I had to order the machine, it would have cost around $27,000!

Again thanks everyone!

/ New Tractor DX40, New Member! #28  
rayh76 said:
I am surprised no one had a comment about the price I paid for the tractor. Was hoping that you all thought that I got a good deal. I was told by the dealer that if I had to order the machine, it would have cost around $27,000!

Again thanks everyone!

$27,000? Well...don't let that dealer balance your checkbook.:eek: :rolleyes:

I think you got a very good deal, but you didn't "steal" it. You got about $2500 worth of options and a 2-year old tractor with full warranty. You have to consider what that tractor sold for about 2 years ago rather than the ordering price of a new DX40. I'd expect to pay about $24,000 for a new DX40 with LX116 loader. Your options would add about $2200, so you'd be at about $26,200 on a brand new tractor.

So, your dealer didn't fib, but he pushed the price up a little. You can be very comfortable that you got a very good deal, just be aware that your tractor may have condensation in bad places from sitting out in the open for two years. I'd be really attentive to the fuel tank and the hydraulic reservoir. I think I'd change the fuel filter pretty soon and check the hydraulic fluid after using the tractor to make sure it's not milky in color.

I wonder if I'm the only one who has ever noticed that dealers can pull a number out of the air on the cost of a tractor they don't have, but when you ask them what the price of a particular tractor is on their lot, they have to sit down with a pricing book and go through every detail? Why can't they quote it off the top of their head like they do about the tractor they don't have? I think it's a little hype and salesmanship. Nothin' wrong with that, but I tend to take "broadcast" statements with a grain of salt.:)

Jim,

Thanks for your reply and honesty. In response to your comment on dealers and pricing...I actually have asked my dealer about 3 different tractors and he told me the approximate price off the top of his head. He had them on the lot. The reason he quoted me the new DX40 price is b/c he said that he quoted this to another guy just the other day.

Well the dealer emailed me today and they are going to replace the "dash" to correct the hour meter problem I am having. He didn't even look at the tractor to determine the problem. I just told him what was going on, he ordered the parts, and now they just need to come get it. I guess this is good?