New tractor: how many hours usage acceptable?

/ New tractor: how many hours usage acceptable? #31  
the_sandman_454 said:
Wouldn't that be 2600*60 (Revolutions/Minute * 60 Minutes/Hour), or 156,000 revolutions
per hour?

I think it's a better indicator of usage without having the ability to monitor how much load the engine is under. Theoretically if it's rotating faster, more wear is being put on everything just due to the forces involved (increased speed of everything in there, quicker direction changes for the various parts).

Forgot to mention my JD3520 had about 1.5-2 hours on it if I recall correctly.

I also prefer meters that vary with engine speed. I think it is better to change your oil and filters more often when you are doing high speed work and less often with low speed work. A meter that is linked to engine speed gives a very accurate mesure of this. I think most tractors have this sort.

/ New tractor: how many hours usage acceptable? #32  
I'm going out on a limb here but I believe that most (All) older tractors measure 'work' hours on the hour meter, which was an equivlent hour of work @ pto speed. Run the engine over rated speed, and you would clock hours faster than 60 mins, below, slower. This was done to give accurate wear rates on the motor. Now here is the 'out on a limb' part. With the advent of the New Generation Deeres (30xx, 40xx) Deere started using real clock hours, claiming longer intervals between rebuilds. Simply if a tractor would typicaly require a rebuild @ 3000 hours, John Deere could claim a 4,200 hour rebuild (assuming 60% of rated speed) schedule ( we all know how good Deere MARKETING is ). Now because of electronics, Its probably just easier to toss a clock in, key on = hours counted, dont even use oil psi to say dont clock hours because the motor is not running.

My Massey had 4hrs on it, was two years old on dealers lot, got a heck of a deal. I wouldnt worry about hours (< 40 +-). simply means tractor has been pre checked. If it did have around 40 hours, I would request that all fluids be changed per 50 hour breakin schedule. Getting that done alone is a pretty good discount.

DuaneW.

/ New tractor: how many hours usage acceptable? #33  
I think some of the tractor finance companies figure a tractor is new with 15 hours or less. I think if it has been putted around the yard, shown at the county fair, etc., we still have a new tractor. If the owner has taken it home for the summer to mow his yard, the term "demo" might still work, but it will be at a discount.

I put 25 hours on a new tractor this summer. I'll sell it at a discount and include a free 50 hour service. Someone will get a bargain, and 5 years from now when they have 800 hours on it, who will care?

/ New tractor: how many hours usage acceptable? #34  
DavesTractor said:
I think some of the tractor finance companies figure a tractor is new with 15 hours or less. I think if it has been putted around the yard, shown at the county fair, etc., we still have a new tractor. If the owner has taken it home for the summer to mow his yard, the term "demo" might still work, but it will be at a discount.

I put 25 hours on a new tractor this summer. I'll sell it at a discount and include a free 50 hour service. Someone will get a bargain, and 5 years from now when they have 800 hours on it, who will care?

How big of a discount? Is it a 3215? I'm about 10-12 hrs away. It does't even have to be painted blue. I could be there Monday morning.;)

/ New tractor: how many hours usage acceptable? #35  
MtnViewRanch said:
How big of a discount? Is it a 3215? I'm about 10-12 hrs away. It does't even have to be painted blue. I could be there Monday morning.;)

1815HST, MMM, ML102.

Email me or Rob on the 3215, huge sale on them in September. No joke.

/ New tractor: how many hours usage acceptable? #36  
AndyMA said:
Many of you say to get the dealer to let you demo one, even at your house and then say, I wouldn't buy that tractor it has too many hours.

My tractor had 4.2 hours on it when delivered, and I put on about a half hour of that while demoing at the dealer. Matter of fact, the demo is the biggest reason I bought red. I went to the NH dealer who wouldn't let me kick on the PTO (on a tractor that already had mowed based on the grass on the deck.) Went to the Case dealer and he not only asked if I wanted to try it, but when I said my yard was pretty much all weeds, he pointed me to a area of pasture up to my waist and said "give 'er a whirl". I did, and signed the papers the next day... :D

I still like my dealer... kind of feels like the place my grandpa went when I was growing up. :cool:

/ New tractor: how many hours usage acceptable? #37  
the_sandman_454 said:
Wouldn't that be 2600*60 (Revolutions/Minute * 60 Minutes/Hour), or 156,000 revolutions
per hour?

I think it's a better indicator of usage without having the ability to monitor how much load the engine is under. Theoretically if it's rotating faster, more wear is being put on everything just due to the forces involved (increased speed of everything in there, quicker direction changes for the various parts).

Forgot to mention my JD3520 had about 1.5-2 hours on it if I recall correctly.

Hey hey hey hey now!

Pointing out my mistakes will only earn you respect and admiration from the rest of the board!

J (math challenged) B

On edit.

I like the fuel total used gauge idea. Not as an only indicator, but it would be a cool addition to a time indexed revolution counter. Probably pretty easy to do with a simple rotary flow meter and a bit of compute power.

/ New tractor: how many hours usage acceptable? #38  
Getting in late here. My 2520 had 1.6 hours on the clock when delivered to me. They put about 40 minutes on it loading the attachements at the dealer and unloading them at my home. The nubs had not been worn off the tires yet.

/ New tractor: how many hours usage acceptable? #39  
Mine had just over 1 hr. The dealer said he likes to run the unit for a while to make sure everything operates up to "snuff".