New Tractor Owner and questions

/ New Tractor Owner and questions #1  

montyhp

Bronze Member
Tractor
Mahindra 3316g
All,

I am about to make the jump from an 11 year old Craftsman rider to a Mahindra 3316 gear. I have 3 Acres with goats and chickens. I mow about 1.5 acres (currently). That may change when mowing and chores become easier.

I also have dirtwork, landscaping, and round bales to move.

I believe I really did my homework. I narrowed in on the 3316 because it will take a hay spike. I know this is the minimal tractor for round bales and I will be buying the smallest I can find. I am also considering some other options for moving the round bales besides the skid loader spike.

I looked at JD and Kubota, but I have a mahindra dealer just a few miles away, the JD dealer is more like 30 and because I don't currently have a trailer for it, I am going to have to depend on dealer pick up if I need service.
The kubota dealer is closer, but I bought a Stihl chainsaw from them several years ago, took it back for routine maintenance, and the kept it for a month and said they had no plans to get to it any time soon (cmon, new spark plug, true the bar, and sharpen the chain, etc). I took it to the local mahindra dealer and they had it done in less than a week (could have been sooner if I pressed them).

Now some questions:

1. I am getting a rear finish mower, but I have toyed with the idea of trying a belly mower. However, the dealer said the mid PTO kit is no longer available, anyone know why? Anyone have a mid PTO kit laying around they want to sell? Just want to preserve my options for the future.

2. I am assembling a tool kit to go with the tractor, socket set (metric I assume) and grease gun. Also looking at drag chains, etc. Any other very important tools?

3. Anything else I should think about or any advice on this model?

I have been trying to make the jump to a tractor for about 5 years.

/ New Tractor Owner and questions
Sorry, forgot to sign my post:

Montyhp
South Texas

/ New Tractor Owner and questions #3  
All,

I am about to make the jump from an 11 year old Craftsman rider to a Mahindra 3316 gear. I have 3 Acres with goats and chickens. I mow about 1.5 acres (currently). That may change when mowing and chores become easier.

I also have dirtwork, landscaping, and round bales to move.

I believe I really did my homework. I narrowed in on the 3316 because it will take a hay spike. I know this is the minimal tractor for round bales and I will be buying the smallest I can find. I am also considering some other options for moving the round bales besides the skid loader spike.

I looked at JD and Kubota, but I have a mahindra dealer just a few miles away, the JD dealer is more like 30 and because I don't currently have a trailer for it, I am going to have to depend on dealer pick up if I need service.
The kubota dealer is closer, but I bought a Stihl chainsaw from them several years ago, took it back for routine maintenance, and the kept it for a month and said they had no plans to get to it any time soon (cmon, new spark plug, true the bar, and sharpen the chain, etc). I took it to the local mahindra dealer and they had it done in less than a week (could have been sooner if I pressed them).

Now some questions:

1. I am getting a rear finish mower, but I have toyed with the idea of trying a belly mower. However, the dealer said the mid PTO kit is no longer available, anyone know why? Anyone have a mid PTO kit laying around they want to sell? Just want to preserve my options for the future.

2. I am assembling a tool kit to go with the tractor, socket set (metric I assume) and grease gun. Also looking at drag chains, etc. Any other very important tools?

3. Anything else I should think about or any advice on this model?

I have been trying to make the jump to a tractor for about 5 years.

Keep a supply of hitch pins and linch pins handy for your 3pt hitch.

I assume you're getting a front end loader (FEL). Have the dealer weld chain hooks onto the FEL bucket. Here's what they look like on my Mahindra 5525.

DSCF0110 (Small).JPG

I also highly recommend Mahindra's skid steer quick attach option for your FEL, as shown in the photo above.

Also, get 2 or 3 hydraulic remote connections for your tractor.

DSCF0066 (Small).JPG DSCF0067 (Small).JPG

I added a metal safety shield to the ROPS on the 5525 to protect my backside when using my brush hog rotary mower.

DSCF0083 (Small).JPG DSCF0084 (Small).JPG

It's a piece of expanded metal (from Home Depot or a local weld shop) held onto the ROPS via metal hose clamps. It's not a good idea to drill holes in or weld stuff to the ROPS.

Have fun with your new tractor--and drive safely.

Keep a supply of hitch pins and linch pins handy for your 3pt hitch.

I assume you're getting a front end loader (FEL). Have the dealer weld chain hooks onto the FEL bucket. Here's what they look like on my Mahindra 5525.

View attachment 166246

I also highly recommend Mahindra's skid steer quick attach option for your FEL, as shown in the photo above.

Also, get 2 or 3 hydraulic remote connections for your tractor.

View attachment 166252 View attachment 166253

I added a metal safety shield to the ROPS on the 5525 to protect my backside when using my brush hog rotary mower.

View attachment 166254 View attachment 166255

It's a piece of expanded metal (from Home Depot or a local weld shop) held onto the ROPS via metal hose clamps. It's not a good idea to drill holes in or weld stuff to the ROPS.

Have fun with your new tractor--and drive safely.

Thanks for the post. I will get extra pins.

I am getting the skid loader bucket. I hadn't thought to ask the dealer to weld the hooks. Hopefully I can get them to do it for almost free with the purchase.

I also have to look into the remote hydraulics. I will probably need a 3pt log splitter before too long.

Thanks again for the great ideas.

Montyhp

/ New Tractor Owner and questions #5  
It's a good idea to beef up the std bucket, especially if you are going to put some hooks on. The metal is just to thin to take much stress. I put 2x2x3/8 angle on the top along with some 3/8" plate on the sides of my 3215 loader bucket. Here is a link to some of the improvements that I did to my 3215HST.

Good luck with the new tractor, they are a very good machine.

Attachments

• P1180004.JPG
    P1180004.JPG
    370.1 KB · Views: 186
  • P1180003.JPG
    P1180003.JPG
    384.9 KB · Views: 185
  • P1180002.JPG
    P1180002.JPG
    365.3 KB · Views: 211
  • P1180005.JPG
    P1180005.JPG
    367.4 KB · Views: 170
   / New Tractor Owner and questions #6  
It's a good idea to beef up the std bucket, especially if you are going to put some hooks on. The metal is just to thin to take much stress. I put 2x2x3/8 angle on the top along with some 3/8" plate on the sides of my 3215 loader bucket. Here is a link to some of the improvements that I did to my 3215HST.

Give it a little more lip and you could use it on the 7520. :D
larry

/ New Tractor Owner and questions #7  
Give it a little more lip and you could use it on the 7520. :D
larry

I'll pass, but one of these days I need to get some posed pics using the 78" digging bucket on the 3215. :laughing:

Attachments

• PC220026.JPG
    PC220026.JPG
    412.3 KB · Views: 198

Thanks, great ideas.

Montyhp

/ New Tractor Owner and questions #9  
I'll pass, but one of these days I need to get some posed pics using the 78" digging bucket on the 3215. :laughing:
Wear your seatbelt and counterweight. ;)
larry

/ New Tractor Owner and questions #10  
I am looking at a 3316 too and would really like to see photos when you get it delivered! :thumbsup: