New tractor - preventing rust in a coastal environment

/ New tractor - preventing rust in a coastal environment #31  
Regarding Fluid Film - I bought a can of the same sort of stuff (Lanox in Australia) and sprayed a test patch. After a week it is still wet. Is it meant to remain wet? If so, I expect it will attract dust.....will this be a problem?
I use Lanox and, yes, the lanolin oil will still be 'wet'... that's what it's meant to do = provide a long lasting barrier/lubricant. Mind you, I use it exclusively as a lubricant on anything that moves but doesn't have a dedicated grease nipple.
I live approximately 7km from the coast and, when the wind is from the East, can receive some salt air. I've really not experienced any rust or aluminium corrosion. For me, excessive dust has not been a problem.

/ New tractor - preventing rust in a coastal environment #32  
Regarding Fluid Film - I bought a can of the same sort of stuff (Lanox in Australia) and sprayed a test patch. After a week it is still wet. Is it meant to remain wet? If so, I expect it will attract dust.....will this be a problem?

If you look at different aviation corrosion compounds they come in a few different versions ranging from a thin stays wet formula to one that forms a thicker semi solid film.

/ New tractor - preventing rust in a coastal environment
I use Lanox and, yes, the lanolin oil will still be 'wet'... that's what it's meant to do = provide a long lasting barrier/lubricant. Mind you, I use it exclusively as a lubricant on anything that moves but doesn't have a dedicated grease nipple.
I live approximately 7km from the coast and, when the wind is from the East, can receive some salt air. I've really not experienced any rust or aluminium corrosion. For me, excessive dust has not been a problem.
Ok thanks for clearing that up Wagtail.
I'm just 1km from the coast, so we get pretty hammered by salty air.

/ New tractor - preventing rust in a coastal environment #34  
Geez - I thought in Australia you'd just wipe your equipment down with live sheep :)

/ New tractor - preventing rust in a coastal environment #35  
Geez - I thought in Australia you'd just wipe your equipment down with live sheep :)
Sheep would be great for wiping off dust, but how well does Lanolin prevent rust?

Last edited:
   / New tractor - preventing rust in a coastal environment #36  
I live ON the saltwater but we do not seem to get salty air here. I have a second property also on the saltwater, that one has a tractor as well. Same thing, no salty air even though we are suppose to Per the link below. Lots of wind off the water at both places, however. Fortunate.

/ New tractor - preventing rust in a coastal environment #37  
If you have bare metal use a light coat of WD40. You will be able to wipe the bare metal off with easy.

As a fun fact, high visibility sockets (the ones that have the size laser marked) use a coating of WD40 to keep the socket from rusting.
WD-40 is far from being adequately viscous to offer any meaningful/lasting outdoor protection.