New Tractor Purchase

/ New Tractor Purchase #11  
WHATEVER YOU DO, <font color="red"> </font> DON'T GIVE UP THE LOADER. <font color="red"> </font> U WILL FIND IT THE MOST USEFUL

/ New Tractor Purchase #12  
Nokesville,

I only have 5 acres and my 24 HP JD is as small as I'd possibly go. I'd recommend looking at say a TC30 New Holland "economy" line vs. boomers. That's a nice tractor and I had several good prices quoted to me on that unit. I was dead set on purchasing the Kubota B7500 (quoted about $14,000 for the tractor, PHD and Box Blade) but somehow was able to come up with a slightly used machine (JD 855) for quite a bit less and some attachments on top of that. I'm very happy with my used machine although some folks won't try that route.

One piece of advice (you'll probably hear this again and again) do not give up the loader. That is by far the most used implement for those of us that have them. Check out one of the discussions by doing a search on "most used implement" or something along those lines. I think Hazmat started it /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif The loader not only moves dirt, gravel, compost, plants, etc. but it also completely replaces your need for a wheelbarrow /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ New Tractor Purchase #13  
others have said it, the loader is the most useful & backsaving of all the implements.

I have a TC18 (Same size as the TC21D but a little less HP). I think it is a bit small for what you plan to do. See Kodiak's post.

Check out the TC30 (hydro & gear available) Kubota B7800 (Hydro only?) and JD 770 (gear). They are "economy" tractors for those on a budget. If you want hydro, get it. It is a personal choice, but for a rookie operator get what you are comfortable with.

You mention a $14K budget. What about financing? The mfg's have decent rates available. Some have "no interest for a year" so maybe you could save the extra couple grand up by then.

A 20 HP tractor is suitable (although on the small side) for maintaining a property of your size. For landscaping tasks it will take a bit longer than a bigger tractor. Your time is worth money!

Have you test driven any of the machines? If not give them a good workout. Also try a 30HP tractor. You'll see a difference.

Happy shopping.

/ New Tractor Purchase #14  
I'll add my opinion. I have a JD 4115 HST w/FEL, 60"MMM, 54" front hydraulic blade and 48" tiller. It has a few more HP than the 4100 or the 4110. My manicured lawn area is about 5+ acres and the pasture is 6+ acres. I use the 60"MMM for both with no problems. Like previously stated you only need to mow the pasture once or twice a year to keep down the unwanted brush growth. The front hydraulic blade has performed perfectly this winter on my 140' of driveway with over 60" of snow this winter (the last storm was 22"). By the way keep the FEL its one of the best utility implements around.

/ New Tractor Purchase
Surfacewave,

Thanks for the post. You mentioned your mid-mount mower is used to mow your pasture field. How often do you mow your pasture field on an annual basis? I am trying to decide if I need to purchase a bush hog. I plan to mow my pasture area once a month. Bsed on your post, it appears as though the mid mount mower will do the trick.

/ New Tractor Purchase #16  
Nokesville,

I use my finish mower for non manicured areas now that I have gotten it cleared of rocks, large brush or anything else that might ruin my fairly expensive mower. If you just have a field with grass that isn't full of other things then you'd be fine. I have found that the finish mower (mine's a rear pull) works far better than the brush hog anyway by virtue of its "float" as opposed to my brush hog with a rear wheel.

/ New Tractor Purchase #17  
Probaly the BX would do all this.I have one that the wife drives. She mows about 5 acres a week. She all ready has almost 500 hours on a 2 year old tractor.On any tractor I would get a MMM.Don't have to take it off to use the 3pt hitch.I would be concern about that 60 inch rear blade.Seems kinda big,but I guess you have to use some common sense when you use it.But for only having one tractor I think you might be better off with something that is set up more like a tractor instead of a sub-compact.We bought this for the wife,she has a bad left knee.Works great for her,only use the right foot and it's low to the ground.I have a 40HP Ford for the big jobs.I think you might be better off with a JD or NH.I do plan on getting a Frail mower for the BX.We have pasture too and I think this would work better or hold up better with all the rocks and stumps.I want the wife to do it.She loves that BX.

/ New Tractor Purchase #18  
Keep in mind that if you mow say every week, and keep the blades sharp... a bushhog can make -almost- a cut like a riding lawnmower...

This way you could put off getting the finish mower for a year.. etc...

Soundguy

/ New Tractor Purchase #19  
thefarm,

The 5 foot finish mower that I have is not one blade but three. Not quite as much torque developed form three blades. If I was going to mow as often as you guys do I too would probably use a belly mower so I could use the 3PH for other things. Either that or get a quick hitch so taking off the finish mower and putting somethig else on would be very simple.

/ New Tractor Purchase #20  
I think you will out grow these tractors and end up buying a larger one soon.