Buying Advice New Tractor

/ New Tractor #1  

Aelfwin

I'm going to buy a tractor in the spring of 2011. I have 8 acres, semi woodland and hilly. There are three tractors that I think might be worth looking at. Mahindra, Massey Ferguson and Kubota. I will be clearing woods, moving logs, digging post holes and general landscape work. At this point I think a 50 hp with a front loader, 4 wheel drive, a backhoe and a bush hog should be more than enough. Anyone have any suggestions or pointers? Am I missing anything? I think I can use the backhoe to put in fence posts so I didn't include a post hole digger.

/ New Tractor #2  
Welcome :welcome:

I think you are missing a grapple for the log/woods clearing. That would be very handy. MIght consider getting the FEL set up with the needed hydraulics for a grapple as a start.
Dave.

/ New Tractor #3  
Welcome to TBN!

My first thought is if you could provide a bit more info it would be helpful....will you be removing numerous whole trees...stumping...or just thinning and hogging....do you want it to be done quickly, or pick away at it....

a 50 HP tractor w/backhoe will not be cheap, particularly if you are looking at a new machine. In my opinion, perhaps a bit overkill for the 8 acres, and possibly a bit big for "landscape" work, depending on your definition.
Is the backhoe primarily for the postholes? BH's are expensive options, a PHD is much less expensive.
Are you moving whole logs or pieces? I use my forks on my 32 HP CUT to move multiple 8' logs around versus whole trees, easier to maneuver/stack.
For getting the job done quickly, you could consider renting equipment to remove trees, again, if there are a lot to remove. An excavator is ideal for this, you can push the tree over, fill the hole in, and move the tree to wherever you want for processing. Much Much quicker than a backhoe on a tractor....trust me!

Having said all that, if you're retired with plenty of time and want to play, you could certainly do it all with a tractor/BH.
I would think a 30-40 HP machine would work well for your application...again, jmho!

I'm sure you'll get some great feedback from more TBN'ers....

Good luck!

/ New Tractor #4  
All three make really good tractors, so you will get a good tractor either way you go. I personally like the Grand L Series for the type of work described, but my advice would be to make your list of needs and then spend time on the tractors to see which one fits you best. Features or ergonomics that work well for one will be an annoyance to others.

As far as grapples, great but $$$$$$$ so if you use one a lot go for it. I don't so I don't have one.

/ New Tractor #5  
I'm going to buy a tractor in the spring of 2011. I have 8 acres, semi woodland and hilly. There are three tractors that I think might be worth looking at. Mahindra, Massey Ferguson and Kubota. I will be clearing woods, moving logs, digging post holes and general landscape work. At this point I think a 50 hp with a front loader, 4 wheel drive, a backhoe and a bush hog should be more than enough. Anyone have any suggestions or pointers? Am I missing anything? I think I can use the backhoe to put in fence posts so I didn't include a post hole digger.

I would add a Deere 110tlb to the list to consider. This is a good choice for operating things like grapples since it has a front auxillary circuit. Four post rops, good 10ft hoe, skid plate and 3pt hitch with three rear outlets to name just a few things that are a plus.

Last edited:
   / New Tractor #6  
I have a Kioti DK45SC which I use on my 250 ac of mixed fields and woods. I think I could probably get by with a DK40 or even DK35, though it might slow me down a tiny bit on a few jobs. I bought a grapple rake from Markham/Gatormade in the spring and it makes it a LOT easier to do cleanup work in the woods and old fields; at $1K, I thought it was really affordable (though running hydraulic lines from the rear remotes to the FEL for the grapple was costly!).
If I were doing primarily summertime woods work, I might prefer not having the cab, but I also blow snow...and the tractor is parked outside year round... so the cab is worth it for me.
Unless you have a special colour preference, shop on features and price, once you figure out what horsepower and attachments you want.
Having said this, 50 hp sounds like a lot of tractor for 8 ac, but maybe you're planning jobs that need the weight and lift capacity.
BOB

/ New Tractor #7  
Hi ! You have mentioned MF in your list. I have a MF 1643 (43 hp) hst and love it. In the 50 hp there are the 1648 and the 1652 model. Go see your other tractor dealers also, make a list of what you have as standard equipment on all off your machine, an compare one to each other.....and the most important try all of them.....this is a must. On a tractor you might not be confortable, not enough room, the pedal and arms position.... what is fine for me could be desastrous for you... but think that 8 acres is not a big lot ( for some yes for others no, sorry) so maybe 50 hp is too big for your real needs ( more hp more $$). For mowing, landscaping , plowing Hst is great because very precise. But it is your choice maybe you will love a shuttle or a stick tranny....Look at all the specs ( lift capacity, hydraulic flow, what is standard and what is an option...) Good luck and take your time, you will have your tractor for a long time...Roger

/ New Tractor #8  
Look at the new Kubota L3700SU. Std. w/quick connect loader, hydro, 38hp, 30hp pto. (18K) Kubota priced it to beat all their tractors in size range to compete w/Deere's 3038E (lots of flimsy plastic, aluminum rear end, 500# lighter, and NH.
I love KIOTI's extra bells and whistles and really wanted one, but instead, I bought the new L3700SU. Why? My fourth Kubota. Each one with 7 to 10 years
before I bought new. Except for normal maintenance, I have never had to take one to the shop for any work. period. When I get on mine, I'm ready to work, and they consistently perform.
If you only need a backhoe occassionally, rent a small Kubota or Bobcat excavator. It's much faster than a backhoe. A small excavator can outperform a full size backhoe for many tasks. (I own and use all of these) They are SIMPLE to use.