New tractor

/ New tractor #12  
There is a certain ratio of weight to horsepower to job that is ideal. Saying a heavier or lighter tractor will give you better traction and is therefore a better tractor is overly simplistic. One must keep in mind which wheels are driven and how the weight is distributed and what job you are trying to perform. A MFWD tractor will need the weight displaced differently then a 2wd model. A tractor that is mowing will not need the weight of a tractor that is plowing. Ballasting a tractor is more often a good thing, not a bad thing.

Here is link with good info:
Article

Here is some info that has been shamelessly lifted from the Ropin' Web (I'm giving credit where credit is due). There is also some good advice on tire pressures, etc.

Ballasting for efficiency

Most farmers reach the upper limits of their tractor's power only 15 to 20 percent of the time. With this in mind, weighting the tractor for typical conditions rather than maximum needs will reduce fuel costs.

Farmers usually look at ballasting from a worst-case scenario, says Turner. "If they need to pull 20,000-pound loads for two weeks of the year, they ballast their tractors for that load 52 weeks a year. They might be better off to ballast their tractors for 15,000-pound loads. While that means they could struggle a bit for those two weeks a year, it's more efficient than carrying the weight for the other 50 weeks," he says.

Ideally, farmers should ballast their tractors for specific loads, but it can be a hassle, says Turner. "The key to ballasting is to decide the speed necessary for an operation and the amount of the load. Then set the tractor weight just heavy enough to pull that load at that speed and at an acceptable slip level. The total tractor weight should wind up being 2.5 to 3 times the load being pulled."

When a tractor is over-ballasted, excessive torque can be transmitted through the drivetrain and tires to the ground, he says. That can cause overloads, wear and drivetrain failures. As well, fuel costs are increased from carrying the extra weight and from the inefficient power transfer.

"Over-ballasting is a common farmer error," says Turner. "An over-ballasted tractor will probably feel sluggish, and on top of burning more fuel than it should, may experience premature drivetrain problems."

An under-ballasted tractor wears tire tread at a faster pace because of excessive slip, while never delivering full horsepower to the drawbar, he says. Fuel is wasted because of the extra wheel revolutions to travel the same distance.

When fine-tuning ballast distribution, it's important to consider wheel slip, horsepower and speed. The total ballasted weight for drawn implements should balance as follows:

Front Back
2WD 25% 75%
FWD 40% 60%
4WD 55% 45%

For further information, see Research Update 725, from the AgTech Centre.

/ New tractor #13  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Don't know if the lesser known brands use "cheaper metal", but I do believe their technology is older than Kubota's. As technology advances, tractor engineers are able to design out excess weight. Better use of advanced metallurgy is probably used by the lighter, more sophisticated tractors.

A better engineered and lighter tractor has the benefit of meeting the needs of customers who require a less massive tractor, and those who require more mass because weight can be added where needed. A heavy tractor is always heavy.

As a former engineer, just my 2 cents.

OrangeGuy )</font>

I don't know about cheap steal or metallurgucal advancements making for lighter steel; but I do know that plastic weighs less than metal and that is what makes some of the tractors weigh less.

/ New tractor #14  
You may wish to check out the DK35 it should outweigh the ck30, making it a better choice for the work you outlined.

/ New tractor
"ANy of these tractor will do the work for you. Get a list together on what your buying the tractor for and list by importance. Mowing is big on my list, a heavier tractor is not a good thing for me. ALso check each dealer, how is there service, how long have they been in service and were is the next closest dealer Kubota, branson ect.

KC <font color="blue"> </font>

Hoping to buy soon:) "

Well if there is anything I have learned on this site it is this.

1. Good dealer means a lot.
2. Like newer trucks, top brands of tractors all have good quality.
3. Lighter tractors are better for mowing and driving on lawn, heavier for dirtwork.
4. Can always add weight to a tractor if needed

So I think I will feel more comfortable going with Kubota as we have two long time established dealers close by.

We have two local family owned Kubota dealers who have been around for years. I was not impressed with local Branson/Kioti dealer.

/ New tractor #16  
<font color="blue">A lot of my friends own Kubota and I have no concerns there. But whenever I mention Kioti or Branson, people haven't heard of them. I will be looking at the CK 30 or Branson 2910. </font>

we share(d) the same concerns. i had $ down on a kubota before i settled on a new Kioti DK55. after 1 year and nearly 400 hours, i have nothing but praise for this machine. this is my first tractor, and i've been using to restore a farm, logging, etc.

the machine is very well built and has exceeded all expectations on fit/finish/reliability.

as for the cheaper medal comment - i'll avoid a brand war here, suffice to say the kioti tractor is VERY heavy duty.

on a side note, the branson's are good tractors, but IMHO, not the same level of quality found in a kioti.

good luck
pf

/ New tractor #17  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Thanks, Vince. I am quite sure I will like what I see when I go to look at the Branson and Kioti. It's just that I had some slight concerns about quality just because the brands aren't as well known as John Deere and Kubota. That certainly doesn't mean they arent't just as good. We had a local dealer here who used to sell Rhino's /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif They had a little bit of a quality problem so I just wanted to make sure. )</font>
`````````````````
Something to consider on the off brands.
Dealer support
Resale value.
Re sale turn over rate.

/ New tractor
I'm currently looking at this baby.

Kubota
L2950DT
710 hrs
$12,350.00
26 PTO HP, 4WD w/Loader, Low Hours

/ New tractor
Pic

Attachments

• 708110-L2950DT-13.jpg
    708110-L2950DT-13.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 271
   / New tractor #20  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( they didn't want to come down in price if I paid cash.. )</font>

I just wanted to comment on this line.

Paying all cash isn't always the best way to make a deal.
In many instances a company will make more money if you finance a purchase through them. Paying all cash brings them less overall profit.