New use for backhoe

/ New use for backhoe #1  

jmc

Elite Member
Tractor
Ford 1920 4x4 (traded in on Kubota). Case 480F TLB w/4 in 1 bucket, 4x4. Gehl CTL60 tracked loader, Kubota L4330 GST
Hi All,

I've got literally two laundry baskets full of financial and personal paperwork that needs to be destroyed. Doubt if it will burn very well, thickly stacked as it is. Could try to find a commercial shredder, then haul it and pay for it. But what about just burying it about 6 feet deep? Think it would totally decompose in a few years?

Yeah, I'm ****.

John

/ New use for backhoe #2  
I don't know if it would rot. I know that stumps and log that are buried don't rot. Lack of oxygen needed to make then decompose.

/ New use for backhoe #3  
I usually just use mine to start the fireplace. If I were going to bury it, I would dump it in and fill the hole full of water along with a bucketfull of manure or top of it; if you don't have that, maybe 20 or 30 pounds of Ammonium Sulfate fertilizer or some such.

/ New use for backhoe #4  
Sorry can't do that.

Signed,
IRS
co signed;
NSA

/ New use for backhoe #5  
Hi All,

I've got literally two laundry baskets full of financial and personal paperwork that needs to be destroyed. Doubt if it will burn very well, thickly stacked as it is. Could try to find a commercial shredder, then haul it and pay for it. But what about just burying it about 6 feet deep? Think it would totally decompose in a few years?

Yeah, I'm ****.

John

Burying them six inches deep they will decompose much faster than six feet deep. Also separating them Vs packed tightly will aide in the decomposing process. I just burn mine in the fire pit. Throw some papers in and stir them to get them separated. I also have a covered burn pit which helps prevent flaming pieces flying around.

/ New use for backhoe #6  
They are finding newspapers from 50 years ago buried in New York landfills still intact and legible.

/ New use for backhoe #9  
Get into vermiculture (raising worms for castings) feed your paper to the worms and sell the results. Don't tell the IRS. :laughing:

/ New use for backhoe #10  
If you want to destroy them then I wouldn't do that. I would burn them, I burned a stack about a foot thick last week and just had to put it in a good hot fire and use a poker to move it around and that took care of it. You coould also feed it in a chunk at a time and dispose of it over a couple of hours. I don't know if you could feed them into a chipper or not (maybe I'll try that next time!).