New use for repaired carryall

/ New use for repaired carryall #11  
Jerry:

How do you get 12 volt power to the sprayer?

Do you have a way to switch it on and off from the tractor seat or do you use the switch on the pump?

Does it actually put out 3.5 gpm or is the actual volume less? At 3.5 GPM, it would be empty in just over 7 minutes.

It looks great by the way.

Joe

/ New use for repaired carryall
Good questions /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I tapped into the alternator output and installed a cigarette lighter outlet so that I have power for the sprayer or other electrical items. I installed a fuse holder and 15 amp fuse a few inches from the alternator. The pump draws 11 amps at load.

(Yes GatorBoy, you could use the cigarette lighter outlet to light your stogie)

The cord running from the pump has a rocker switch that I keep in my hand as I drive along. The switch stops the spraying action almost instantly.

Some of the output of the 3.5gpm is restricted. This is how the pressure is developed. There is a valve that allows fluid to be bypassed back into the tank. Adjusting this valve controls the pressure and flow rate. I have found 15 psi to be optimal while using the boom nozzles. I use about 35 psi while using the spray wand.

/ New use for repaired carryall #13  
Thanks Jerry:

I'm in the process of doing something similar. I wanted a permanent mount and will put a fused line to a switch on the dash and then run off that to a two prong male/female plug under the seat. I'll then hook the pump female/male plug to that. There is also an inline fuse that came with the pump.

I also wanted a quick remove "extension cord" with battery clips on one end, an inline fuse and the male/female plug as well so I can use it on a different trackor, or set it on top of a small trailer behind a garden tractor as well. I like the inline rocker switch idea. I installed one in a Coleman emergency tire pump and it works well.

I didn't have a broken carry all to use, but had a rack built to mount the tank, and it will sit on a 3 pt set of forks in back. It's got stubby legs to keep it from sliding sideways and I will probably try tieing it to the uprights on the forks with shock cords. This way I can use the forks when the pump's not needed. I'll be moving a lot of plants and paving materials on a pallet aroundthe property.

My rack is John Deere green of course to match my 770.

Thanks

Joe

/ New use for repaired carryall #14  
I want to be like Jerry when I grow up!! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Nice job! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

But how come you didn't paint it NH blue????????????? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

</font><font color="blue" class="small">(
But how come you didn't paint it NH blue????????????? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif )</font>

Cuz, you never know.......

(ok, I didn't have enough blue paint and I knew that I would be forgiven and no one would mention it)

/ New use for repaired carryall #16  
And I thought your response would be that it matches the 3 Pt and the ROPS.

/ New use for repaired carryall #17  
This will show my ignorance of electricity: One more question. By pulling power off the alternator output rather than the battery, are you getting consistent power (amperage) or does it vary with the engine RPM enough to be a concern. I guess as long as it exceeds the pump requirements then it's OK.

Well, I guess you've reached the limits of my knowledge. I choose the alternator output because it was convenient and easy to tap into /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

My battery requires unbolting some covers and removing the air cleaner to get to it.

Although, I do know that the ouput pole on the alternator has 12 volts even when the engine is not running.

/ New use for repaired carryall #19  
That's an excellent reason. Thanks.

Joe