New (used) IH 7500 Dump Truck purchase, modification & fix up

/ New (used) IH 7500 Dump Truck purchase, modification & fix up #11  
How much is the new body ? Wonder if a truck upfitter would be interested in working a swap?

/ New (used) IH 7500 Dump Truck purchase, modification & fix up #12  
You can pick those type trucks up at the auctions around home for a song. I just saw a couple sold last Saturday. Of course they are all plain dump bodies. No salt in SC.

/ New (used) IH 7500 Dump Truck purchase, modification & fix up
You can pick those type trucks up at the auctions around home for a song. I just saw a couple sold last Saturday. Of course they are all plain dump bodies. No salt in SC.

Really?
Show me a class 8 4x4 dump with over 300HP & automatic for ”a song”.

Last edited:
How much is the new body ? Wonder if a truck upfitter would be interested in working a swap?

There’s a guy nearby that’s pretty reasonable and has done dump bodies for me in the past that might be interested in this one. That would be the easiest way to do it.
Will be looking for 12’ body soon. I have a couple body companies around here I can work with. I would think 20k + for new with hoist & installation. Prices from inflation are so high now that nothing would surprise me.
Removing this one won’t be super easy. Lots of hydraulics to disconnect & cap-off. Plenty of rusty nuts & bolts to break free.

/ New (used) IH 7500 Dump Truck purchase, modification & fix up #15  
Had one offer of $11,000 for bed & salt equipment. Would like to get $15,000 if possible.
For a S/S body in good shape and the plow gear it's well worth it. Get rid of the front drive pump (i assume its a variable displacement piston pump?) as well and go with a conventional pto pump as long as the trans is set up to run it. It would allow you to get rid of the cow catcher on the front and a far sight cheaper when it breaks down.

How much is the new body ?
Guessing, I'd say a new S/S spreader body now days would be worth CAN$ 40K+ at least. Last time I was involved with purchasing, a conventional 14yd steel body with cylinder and tip hinge was CAN$22K, no install. The hydraulics to run the plow, wing, salt and dump body was CAN $22K

Wonder if a truck upfitter would be interested in working a swap?
You'd have to find one with a sale for it so it wouldn't be hanging around, it'd be a lot of $$$ to keep on spec.

Last edited:
For a S/S body in good shape and the plow gear it's well worth it. Get rid of the front drive pump (i assume its a variable displacement piston pump?) as well and go with a conventional pto pump as long as the trans is set up to run it. It would allow you to get rid of the cow catcher on the front.
Pretty much my plan.
I was thinking about keeping the pump, but it does run off the engine via PTO shaft.
Its all kind of up in the air right now. I don‘t know if the allison has a PTO provision feature. Would think it wouldnt since theres a engine driven pump, but I will find out. Havent even had the truck 24 hours yet and worked past dark last night.

I just want a heavy 12’ steel dump with a thick floor and an air tailgate.

Last edited:
Trying to put together an initial list of fix ups and repairs.
One thing I know is the truck needs an exhaust manifold gasket. I would also like to replace the rims as they look pretty nasty.

Next week is PA truck inspection. That will reveal a lot.

/ New (used) IH 7500 Dump Truck purchase, modification & fix up #18  
Really?
Show me a class 8 4x4 with over 300HP & automatic for ”a song”.
I'll let you know. Heavy equipment sales are usually once a month at home or in Georgia. Next farm sale is in Feb. They always have some trucks.

/ New (used) IH 7500 Dump Truck purchase, modification & fix up #19  
I was thinking about keeping the pump, but it does run off the engine via PTO shaft.
If it's a load sense pump, don't forget you'll need a closed center valve with the extra plumbing of the load sense lines. As well, if it's electric over there's the expense of the electronic controls.

I was thinking about keeping the pump, but it does run off the engine via PTO shaft
Worst thing about those, if the drive shaft decides to head south, it usually takes the rad with it. Or when the joints start wearing out, it'll beat the harmonic balancer up. You've also got the hydraulic hoses running under the engine/transmission which depending on how they've been run can be awkward to work around. Not only that but changing belts is a royal PIA.

Me, if I were gearing up a dump truck, I'd go for a pto pump and either air over or cable controls. The acronym KISS plays in my mind :).
Be sure to let us know what the outcome is

If it's a load sense pump, don't forget you'll need a closed center valve with the extra plumbing of the load sense lines. As well, if it's electric over there's the expense of the electronic controls.

Worst thing about those, if the drive shaft decides to head south, it usually takes the rad with it. Or when the joints start wearing out, it'll beat the harmonic balancer up. 1. You've also got the hydraulic hoses running under the engine/transmission which depending on how they've been run can be awkward to work around. Not only that but changing belts is a royal PIA.

2. Me, if I were gearing up a dump truck, I'd go for a pto pump and either air over or cable controls. The acronym KISS plays in my mind :).
Be sure to let us know what the outcome is

1. Yep they’re hangin down.

1667766841822.jpeg

2. Agree 100%. I had an older version of this truck, an IH4800. Had a simple 7 speed manual trans with PTO driven hydraulic pump and a reservoir for hydraulic fluid. Very simple.
I’d like to sell off the complexity of this system and trade it for the simplicity of a 12’ PTO driven dump.