New (used) IH 7500 Dump Truck purchase, modification & fix up

/ New (used) IH 7500 Dump Truck purchase, modification & fix up
You must of been working it hard the transmission is hot. My international with Allison transmission has never got that hot even in 100 degree summer loaded pulling big hills. Normally mine stays at 150 or less.
Mine will normally run 170. So does my Aisin in my Ram. Tow or haul with them and they’ll go to 180-190.

I haven’t serviced the transmission in mine since I bought it. Fluid looked OK, but changing fluid & filter is next on my to-do list for the truck.

Still chugging.
Almost 2000 miles put on it since January haulin logs.

Nothing to report except a “Check AC“ light, which actually went away and a popping metal sound which I haven’t had time to investigate!

1708468550378.jpeg

Dump bed holding up well. Not bad for $3,500 bucks. I like that it already was a little beat up. Nothing worse than that first dent. This one’s got plenty of ‘em.

1708468574632.jpeg

End of day. Back at it again tomorrow.
I’ve logged about 2,000 miles of log hauling.

1708468743385.jpeg

Did some stone to the entrance of one of my fields, too. Can’t forget that. lol

1708469012232.jpeg

Last edited:
Found source of popping noise.
Cab mount bushing

1708883510647.jpeg

Up to 40 loads of logs now.

1708906636254.jpeg

Monday and Tuesday we are going to haul again and that should get us fairly close to the end of the logs. I will probably take it in for April PA state inspection, fix cab mount and a few other things that need attention.

I’m really torn on the Allison trans fluid. It will cost about $500 to have the truck shop do it. He says “don’t bother, I’ve seen these trucks got 500,000 miles and never change the fluid”.

When I pull the dipstick, the fluid is mostly cherry kool aid red with a slight tinge of tan. I’m assuming the tan could be a little rust, old fluid, water or ?????

1708906877036.jpeg

That sounds strange because my RAM/Aisin requires pretty frequent transmission fluid changes, especially under “severe service”.

Last edited:
   / New (used) IH 7500 Dump Truck purchase, modification & fix up #486  
Up to 40 loads of logs now.
Monday and Tuesday we are going to haul again and that should get us fairly close to the end of the logs. I will probably take it in for April PA state inspection, fix cab mount and a few other things that need attention.

I’m really torn on the Allison trans fluid. It will cost about $500 to have the truck shop do it. He says “don’t bother, I’ve seen these trucks got 500,000 miles and never change the fluid”
My international with Allison has about 225k and I've never changed the fluid it's still kinda red but I'm about to change mine. I'm scared to keep running it.

My international with Allison has about 225k and I've never changed the fluid it's still kinda red but I'm about to change mine. I'm scared to keep running it.
That’s kind of where I am, but I have 92,000 miles.
It does not smell burnt.

/ New (used) IH 7500 Dump Truck purchase, modification & fix up #488  
If I remember correctly, we rarely if ever changed the fluid in ours.
If it were mine, I'd be changing it but then I'm a bit **** about changing fluids, attested to by the fact I'm about to change the diff fluids on my Ram with only 70k kms on it, trans is next.
We never had any major common problem with the transmission other than there was a part of the aluminum casting on top about the size of a quarter that housed a small valve spool. Being in a salt spreading application, the aluminum casting would get caked in salt as they'd never get cleaned off and this particular part of the casting was thin and would rot off and allow the small spool to fly out which would allow the fluid to pump out. The casting was toast when this happened. I remember one of the mechanics came up with a clamp type affair that would repair it and allow you to keep using the truck.
There was however a constant problem with the wiring harnesses than connected the engine, MP8's to the Allison RDS 4500 (if I remember correctly) . Mack would say the harness was Allisons problem, Allison would say it was Macks problem and we'd be stuck in the middle having to pay for supposedly warranty repairs.

Another thing I’d like to do is find an Allison programmer and get the “mode” button to give me a second function.