New vs. Almost New

/ New vs. Almost New #1  

holzboat

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 4110, JD X595, JD 4100
There seem to be quite a few "almost new" tractors for sale. If you were looking at $10,000 - 15,000 one, how much would you have to save to make it worthwhile to buy used. New comes with free/cheap financing with insurance, and a warranty. Used usually means cash up front, no warranty and no sales tax. I've seen 2-4 year old garage kept tractors with very few hours but they often ask almost new prices. What's your cutoff point?

/ New vs. Almost New #2  
For the CUT market, where say we're talking in a $15,000 to $25,000 for a "new" price, for me the breaking point is about $5,000 - $6,000. Of course, all of that is extremely situationally dependent. New, as you mentioned, is more or less a known quantity that in a lot of senses is "easier" to buy and has better peace of mind than buying used or nearly new. So anytime someone compares buying new vs. used, it really depends alot on what the used tractor is - hours, conditions, past history, how much do you believe what the seller is telling you, etc.

The only reason I say all of this is because I just went through this decision. At first I was looking for a larger tractor than I currently have, then decided to go for one a little smaller than what I have, and ended up with one about the same size as I have now. I priced new tractors in the same size that I eventually found a used one, and it was about a $10,000 difference with what I ended up buying. However, in the course of the search, as I looked at different tractors, that $5,000-$6,000 range of difference seemed to be what made a used tractor more attractive than a new one, and the greater that number got, the more attractive used tractors looked.

Obviously, the used tractor I bought comes with more risk than a new one, but for the difference that I saved, I can do a lot of repairs, and in my situation, it is a 2nd tractor, so I can afford some downtime.

Anyway, that's my thought, for new vs. used. For new vs. almost new, if the difference is only a couple thousand, I would probably go new....

Good luck and take care.

/ New vs. Almost New #3  
The last two I bought were new. Both times when searching for used tractors the better the prices were on the used ones, the worse the condition. There are screaming deals on used tractors if you have a lot of patience or are lucky. After a few months of looking I surrendered both times.

/ New vs. Almost New #4  
My first two were new. One develops a sense of the quality of the these machines and that may provide confidence is buying a select, prime, used one the next time.

My most recent "used" tractor was clocked at 24 hours and I saved almost 30%. No brainer for me. It was just the planets lining up and it was a really good move, for me, at the time. It was a very painless decision.

/ New vs. Almost New #5  
Hi Holzboat,the big killer is the interest Rate. IF you are within a few thousand of a new tractor it doesn't pay.
I usually show my customers on paper the payment difference so they at least see how close it is.

/ New vs. Almost New #6  
I saved 4k on my 'used like new' 14 hr L3800DT 2 years ago.

I will always go for the 'like new used' if the savings are good.

I don't finance...

/ New vs. Almost New #7  
I saved 4k on my 'used like new' 14 hr L3800DT 2 years ago.

I will always go for the 'like new used' if the savings are good.

I don't finance...

What happened to the Great resale value that Kubota supposedly has? I thought so.:D:laughing:

/ New vs. Almost New #8  
What happened to the Great resale value that Kubota supposedly has?
I still believe in the "great resale value". Not all buyers are as well informed as those on TBN. Someone buys those "used like new" for near new prices not knowing any better, just seeing it is less than MSRP.

/ New vs. Almost New #10  
i couldn't touch anything that close to new for much less than a new tractor. I normally don't finance either, but when they're giving you money for free, you take it. It just doesn't make sense to lose warranty coverage etc etc for such a little bit of money off. I'm in NY too and I went out of state for mine, nobody local wanted to play the game.