New welder... probably multimatic 215 but not sure

/ New welder... probably multimatic 215 but not sure #21  
   / New welder... probably multimatic 215 but not sure #22  
Looks to me like the 215 might have a bit more "grunt" than the 211 (one of my wire machines) - if you're ANYTHING like me, do NOT let 'em "toss in" a 10' gun - the feed on BOTH the new machines can handle a 15' one, to me that's the MINIMUM I'd want. My mm252 has a 15' gun and a 30A spool gun (30 feet), and there are times when I'll put a 2# spool of hard wire in the 30A just for the reach.

When I bought the mm211 I had to take it "as is", which is ONLY shipped with a 10' gun - so I paid extra for a M150 gun/15'. Just my $.02, I'd definitely let 'em gimme a 15" Bernard over the Miller guns... Steve

I agree with the gun. Also a thing about Bernard...I just found out. They seem to have constantly changed part numbers and parts so often that in the tech school where I teach part-time as an instructor, Airgas had to actually send someone out to inspect the Bernard Gun I inherited in my classroom as a "pass me down" to get the right part and it wasn't all that old...and they still didn't/couldn't get the exact same part.

/ New welder... probably multimatic 215 but not sure #23  
Offer 850 for the used 215.

Order your own 15ft gun

/ New welder... probably multimatic 215 but not sure #24  
I watch a number of welding videos on youtube. I have seen Jodi welding with a green welder before. I see Bob from weld.com using green welders in his classrooms. I have seen another few guys using the green Everlast wleders in their classrooms. I may have seen green welders at the nyccnc training lab, but it might have been one of the guys out in Arizona that has tig classes. These are guys who also love the blue and red welders that sometime run green welders.

I have run some sticks with my green welder and it was a fun experience. Tig functions better than my skill level. I occasionally get something good looking from tig but I dove in attempting some aluminum and stainless steel. Not the easiest beginner metals to work with. Stainless steel is a beast requiring some skills I have not mastered. I really should spend an hour a day practicing the tig stuff.

/ New welder... probably multimatic 215 but not sure #25  
Gents, There are no secrets out ther any longer. No-One makes a USA welder any longer and have not for years.. i wish i had a beer for every time i have posted that. The asians own the market. They have ruled the auto darkening world since the 80's too. Miller hasn't built a welder in the USA for at least 6 years. Don't believe it? go to your LWS and ask to look at the box it came in. Says Assembled in USA. 115v - Bobcat and more. My 35 years of being a Rep says to look at the new Everlast Twin Pulsed mig unit. If you want cutting edge you got it for an incredible price. What I own in that class costs 8K. You can also as Mark, We are not affiliates. We have been competitors for many years and yes we have had words but we have never met. I'm a technical guy and I wish someone would bring in one of these new rigs and invite me over to run it.

/ New welder... probably multimatic 215 but not sure #26  
Here's a LINK to an ESAB publication with an explanation of inductance.

My ESAB 300i provides inductance control. I have only used it to tweak inductance for welding tubing. For material 11-gauge and thicker, I use the machine's automatic settings. The 300i is a very early (1997) semi-synergic machine where you pick the metal type, thickness, wire size, and shielding gas and the machine adjusts the welder to the recommended settings. If you want to tweak the recommended settings you go back into the program and manually change the settings.

Unless you're doing a lot of thin material at low settings, I'm not sure you'd find inductance control to be all that important.

/ New welder... probably multimatic 215 but not sure #27  
Thosd youtube channels make money look at the esab plugs everlast plugs.
Its also easy to see all the welders they use weld metal together.

Kinda comes down to a ford and chevy debate. All drive down the road they all make more power then we can use all are over priced and all break down.

I honestly am in the market to buy a plasma ive looked into everlast just slighly hypotherm i have experince running so theyre my go to choice but that is 1800 bucks .ill keep researching

/ New welder... probably multimatic 215 but not sure #28  
My latest welder purchase was an ESAB Rebel 235, went with it over the miller or everlast offerings. It is more expensive than the 215 class offerings but I have put it through it's paces and I will say it's an awesome package. It has all the controls you're looking for, has enough power to run .045 wire, weld thick materials, and do spray transfer, it runs 6010 like a champ, and despite what people say (calling it noob mode or whatever) the Smig function is great, even for an experienced welder, for quick projects or weird welding situations, it will compensate on the fly for a lot of things and produce decent looking, and structurally sound welds without having to even really think about settings. As far as tig goes with it, it's nice, this class machine actually has a separate gas solenoid for Tig instead of a gas valve torch. I have done some stainless pipe and sheet metal work with it and I was very pleased. This machine also has plenty of power to do aluminum either DC Tig with helium or with the spool gun. The other thing I like about it over everlast is that with esab your dealing with name brand guns, parts, and consumables that you can get at almost any local welding store and warranty issues can be handled locally by airgas. The miller is a great machine, and you get the local support, but it just not as well featured as the esab and to get into a 250 amp machine in Miller you're talking big bucks. Everlast, I've heard mostly good things, I've tried a couple of their machines that a buddy of mine has and they seem to weld great, but you are dealing with shipping the machine back if there is a problem and if you walk into your local welding store and ask if they have any consumables that will fit your everlast you will get the eye roll. Until everlast steps up their game with a dealer network and more local support I can't say I'd be a confident buyer of their equipment, although I have had my eye on some of their machines, especially the new multiprocess that does ac tig.

/ New welder... probably multimatic 215 but not sure #29  
jgriffin,

Sorry you've been terribly misinformed about availability of consumables. Consumables on the TIG torch are 100% interchangeable with any other brand of TIG torch with the same series. As for MIG, Binzel and Trafimet are available from nearly everywhere, even airgas...and are used on many different brand machines and have been or years, even Miller used one on their old "cricket" MIG. Tell them Binzel, and they'll immediately recognize it. Companies like HTP, and others carry them as OEM on their machines as well as some tool company MIGs and many high end units as well.

IF they give you an eyeroll, it's either 1) Prejudice based off of plain ignorance 2) Willful ignorance or lack of training to go out of their way to even bother to help all potential customers 3) They don't get a "kick back" to push our brand (often called a spiff). Many regional airgas stores are distributors for our products. 4.) They just aren't trustworthy.

And on service, most local welding stores don't service ESAB. So you still have to ship to the nearest service center.

Last edited:
   / New welder... probably multimatic 215 but not sure
The esab distributor near me said they have an in-house repair guy that can do majority of miller work. But he also later said that they can't do much of anything with esab as most parts aren't serviceable. Said they once has a unit delivered with a cracked plastic face plate and they couldn't even get that part and had to just send in whole welder for replacement. Seems that's how they handle much of their warranty work... just replace with new. I guess it's nice in a way but not exactly convenient.

But who knows... he was a sales guy afterall