New Welding/Shop Table Ideas

/ New Welding/Shop Table Ideas #11  
The table I have at work is 4' X 8' X 5/8" plate. The frame supporting it is 3" X 3" X 1/4 angle (built like a honeycomb underneath) and the legs are 2" schd 80 black pipe. The shelf (18" below the top) railing underneath is 2 1/2" X 3 1/2" angle notched and welded to the pipe legs.
I believe the **** thing was taken out of an old aircraft carrier and had been built on board.
Even as heavy as this thing is, it had to be bolted to the floor when we mounted a pipe bender to it.

Adding casters to roll the table out into a bay for larger projects like bending tubing.

/ New Welding/Shop Table Ideas #12  
a table idea.
with removable pieces for clamping odd shapes and setup
made with c-channel laying on top. and a smaller c-channel bolted under so it cant move side to side. this way any top piece can be removed for the things that might need to drop past the top of the tables for better clamping and spaced apart for clamps to be able to go between the channels
here is a drawing or kinda what i'm talking about
View attachment 143701
tell me what you think ..
gary...

Gary,

I have seen pictures and details of a table built very similar to your idea. Take a look at this table:

/ New Welding/Shop Table Ideas #13  
IMG_1548.JPG

This is what I ended up with. I have a high lift pallet jack thing that I move it with.

/ New Welding/Shop Table Ideas #14  
you guys are making me feel bad, I use my picnic table in the back.:eek:

/ New Welding/Shop Table Ideas #15  
picked up a 6ftx6ft 1/2 steel sheet along with some thick wall 2x2 angle.

Oh in keeping with my cheap canopy project,so far i have less than 80bucks in the table.

Lucky fails to describe this. :)

/ New Welding/Shop Table Ideas #16  
Another thing he talked me into was making legs on one end shorter, I then put 8" hard plastic casters that do not spin around under those shorter legs. I just slide a floor jack under the end with full length legs and raise it to move the table around to where I need it.

Nothing like having a good solid bench to fabricate and weld on and not worry about it moving around or collapsing.

Topstrap

Now that is an excellent idea. My first table had no wheels and I was always wanting to move it. Then I welded on rigids on one end and swivels on the other end. Moving it was great but chasing it around when working got real old.

/ New Welding/Shop Table Ideas
This weekend looks to be free so I will be starting on the table. I will post a pic so you all can point out were I went wrong.
Thanks for all the input I like to sit when I weld so a swing out stool will be incorperated into the design and I like the 2 inch receiver vise idea too. table height should be around 38in tall. No casters yet maybe later. I am planning on electrical outlets in the center since the table is so big and I hate triping on all the cords that get strung out during a project.
Thanks again for the input and all the pics. The removable slat table is very nice but dosen't fit my uses.

/ New Welding/Shop Table Ideas #18  
I sure would not put any electrical into the top, cords aren't that short. I'd rather have it off to the side since projects come in all sizes. Also seems like you'd be protecting the receptical all the time.
My table is a 5/8 top about 3x5 and is big enough for me. I added a tab on one end about 1" x 2" to clamp the welder ground onto when welding up small pieces. I like the 2" receiver vise idea too.
Jim

/ New Welding/Shop Table Ideas #19  
I have a small trailer I made with just cross bars (need a few more) I think it's a 4' X 8'. When I made it, I made as flat as I could. I just pull that in when I do welding. It's aways clean and ready to go. Can leave my job on it until done just pull out at night, the shop is clean to put my tractor in at night. Takes up no room in the shop so that a lot of junk gets put on it.

/ New Welding/Shop Table Ideas #20  
Here's mine. The top is a floor drain grate from local school bus shop that closed up.. $15.00, 3" pipe legs from scrap pile, casters $40.00.
I built it the same height as my permanent mount work benches, works good for longer items. The grate is nice cuz all the slag and metal shavings fall thru and I always have a clean top to work on. The 2" reciever setup is nice to allow my vise or metal shear to be used and then stored out of the way when not needed.

Attachments

• 100_2549.jpg
    100_2549.jpg
    483.8 KB · Views: 1,900
  • 100_2551.jpg
    100_2551.jpg
    677.8 KB · Views: 1,531
  • 100_2552.jpg
    100_2552.jpg
    611 KB · Views: 943
  • 100_2555.jpg
    100_2555.jpg