New Wheel Motors - PT-425 (2002 Vintage)

/ New Wheel Motors - PT-425 (2002 Vintage) #11  
Is there a reason one could not just plug the case drain return on the PT to use these with a PT that originally had case drains?

Ken

/ New Wheel Motors - PT-425 (2002 Vintage) #12  
I think you could, Ken, but you'd lose the benefit of having those case drains in the first place. I understand that case drains allow a wheel motor to run both cooler and cleaner, but I have no first=hand experience with them...

/ New Wheel Motors - PT-425 (2002 Vintage) #13  
It my understanding that gear type hydraulic motors with drains use some of the oil to lubricate the bearings. The oil is supposed to seep through ports in the bearings to lubricate it and then drain out the other side. Its high pressure on one side of the bearing, forcing the oil through the bearing, lubricating it, then coming out the low pressure side of the bearing and drained back to the tank. If you plug the drain port, it would seem you would pressurize the other side of the bearing and stop the flow of lubrication inside the bearing, thus possibly shortening the life of the motor. At least that's how I understand how it works if you have a drain port.

/ New Wheel Motors - PT-425 (2002 Vintage) #14  
Hi Moss,

Just to be clear, I was referring to using motors without case drains on a PT equipped with case drain return lines. I did not know if this fluid loss was important for filtration and cooling in a semi closed circuit such as this. If it was, I suppose one could add a tiny bleed port to a case drain return line.

Ken

/ New Wheel Motors - PT-425 (2002 Vintage) #15  
MR has it right. The case drain motors require the bleed through for cooling and lubrication. Non-case drain motors don't. If you look at the specs, the amount bleeding through isn't large. Certainly, the motors on my 1845 get toasty warm during use. So, if your motors have case drains, they need to be used. If they don't have case drains, they were designed not to need them.

Whether case drain motors are essential for use as tractor drives would seem to be moot: the 4XX series work, and the 18XX series work. Whether one design is intrinsically better, I am not qualified to opine on.

All the best,

Peter

/ New Wheel Motors - PT-425 (2002 Vintage) #16  
Yes the motors kent got for his 425 I used for my post hole digger. Other than e British pipe fitting the motors rock for me. I would say I have over 409 holes dug with that bad boy.