new wildkat grapple comin this way ?

/ new wildkat grapple comin this way ? #101  
I know. Everyone seems to have to call them and remind them it is one of their models (the entry level). Read through the beginning of the thread or maybe one of the other Wildkat threads and you'll get the picture.

I suspect this is not a high margin model (how could it be at $600?) so they don't feature it but it is a solid 3/8 inch steel grapple that will be functionally the equivalent of the 48" Millonzi I have been torturing for the past five years. It is all you'll ever need.
I believe their website listas the price as $900. I jumped on the band wagon in January and called them and paid like $547 plus freight. Unbelievable value

/ new wildkat grapple comin this way ? #102  
I know that this is an older thread and seems kind of worn out but I wanted to ask a question and thought this would be the best group to ask it to. How do you guys find the closing pressure of the grapple arm? I know that the hydraulic cylinder is small but the closing pressure on mine doesnt seem to be very much. I was cleaning out my paddock and had a pile of old hay, straw, and manure that I was trying to grapple out. When I closed up the grapple, it didnt clamp down very much. Is this what you guys are finding or could I be experiencing some other issue ie... air in the line, something wrong with the hook up or cylinder?
My two cents- I can pinch a 10 or 12" log with one tine (say 6-8' long) and it will have no trouble keeping a grip on it while I buck the log. My tractor is a 4720 so perhaps HP/GPM of pump is a factor.

/ new wildkat grapple comin this way ? #103  
When I bought my Wildkat grapple I had to call because it was not listed on the website. They deducted $50 to omit the skid steer hydraulic connectors. Shipping to a Memphis freight terminal was $126. This was by far the best deal I could find on any grapple. I have been pleased with the grapple. A grapple has increased the usefulness of my tractor more than any implement.

/ new wildkat grapple comin this way ? #104  
My two cents- I can pinch a 10 or 12" log with one tine (say 6-8' long) and it will have no trouble keeping a grip on it while I buck the log. My tractor is a 4720 so perhaps HP/GPM of pump is a factor.

Yeah...I'll keep running it through its paces. Im thinking that the manure and hay pile I was trying to compress was a little much. Ive got some tree work this weekend and I will see what it can do.

/ new wildkat grapple comin this way ? #105  
Hydraulic pressure on the upper grapple arm is important for "Clam Shell" style grapples as the bottom tines are actually perpendicular to the ground most of the time and therefore the load will fall out immediately even at rest if the clamping pressure it released or inadequate. For the more common grapple with longer bottom tines parallel to the ground the upper arm just keeps stuff from bouncing out so much less force is needed.

A good example of each is to look at the role of your thumb when picking up a big bolt from a table with your knuckles pointed to the ceiling: the thumb clamp is critical to picking up the object as a pincher. If you relax the thumb the bolt will drop. Contrast that with scooping a handful of bolts into the palm of your hand with the knuckles pointed to the ground. Now the thumb isn't really even needed except to gently hold the things in place when you move.

/ new wildkat grapple comin this way ? #106  
You'll like it. A coulpe of weeks ago we spent a couple of days cleaning up scrap metal out of barns and in the grass/brush on the farms. The grapple made the job SO much easier. We made more on the scrap then the grapple cost.