New wood chipper, will not fit my CAT1quick hitch...what are my options?

/ New wood chipper, will not fit my CAT1quick hitch...what are my options? #11  
So you're lifting the implement using the QH's top hook with the QH's legs dangling before you engage them to the implement? I'm having trouble visualizing how this works.
Yep...it can happen. The normal top link pin is set too high in the implement, and so the top hook of the QH lifts the implement, and the lower portion of the QH not fully engaged. When this happens, you simply need to lower the top link pin to next setting. This allows all 3-points of the QH to engage simultaneously.

/ New wood chipper, will not fit my CAT1quick hitch...what are my options? #12  
You can put the QHs on or off more easily if you raise the 3ph as high as it will go before removing or putting back on. With the 3ph up, the bottom of the QH will kinda sit on the ends of the lower arms.
Are you sure? The QH is too heavy to lift it that high and balance it with one hand while trying to pin the tractor's lower links into the QH. And if the other side slips off the end of the arm its resting on, you are risking mashed fingers.

I mount the QH working at ground level. Engage the top link first then lift each leg of the QH a couple of inches to pin it on.

/ New wood chipper, will not fit my CAT1quick hitch...what are my options?
Previous Qhitch discussions have mentioned its easy to widen one using a Hi-Lift jack.

I just looked and HF no longer shows their clone that they called 'Farm Jack'. Maybe too many injuries.

Added - I wonder if the hydraulic cylinder from my HF 'Shop Crane' could be removed, special brackets made, and then used to widen a Qhitch.

Or possibly the Shop Crane would have enough force to do the job unmodified. It has a ton lift out at the end of the arm so the force close in next to the cylinder would be a lot more.

61858_W3.jpg
Indeed, I used my 30 ton bottle jack, with lots of wood :)

Bottom line, I now have 27.5" between hooks (gained 3/8" after spring back), and it fits on the chipper. I still needed to shave the bolt heads on both latch pivot bolts, those fit with like 1/16" to spare, even after the widening...27.5" should work with everything else, as it is within spec, but I will double check tomorrow with my other implements.

Problem solved, for now. Next step is finding out if I have to cut the pto shaft.

/ New wood chipper, will not fit my CAT1quick hitch...what are my options? #14  
So you're lifting the implement using the QH's top hook with the QH's legs dangling before you engage them to the implement? I'm having trouble visualizing how this works.
Google the video. You put the QH onto the raised bottom arms first and then attach the top link and then the bottom arms.

/ New wood chipper, will not fit my CAT1quick hitch...what are my options? #15  
A picture of this issue would have been good. I have had a few quick hitch battles myself. Some of them were something easy that just took me a minute to see and others involved cuttin'-n-'cursin'

/ New wood chipper, will not fit my CAT1quick hitch...what are my options? #16  
I don't understand the concept of modifying QH (stretching it wider) when it works with all other implements when there is only one implement that needs to be fixed.... Stretching it may jeopardize structural integrity and also causing misalignment of implements that already work with it...

Dale

/ New wood chipper, will not fit my CAT1quick hitch...what are my options? #17  
I don't think most people modify their actual quick hitch. They sell quick hitches for CAT1, CAT2, etc which would be at the correct size for those implements. I would think it is the other way around where you try to adjust the implement by getting shorter/longer pins, reversing them(in vs. out), using washers as spacers to shim more gap, or by using the adapters for top link mount points. Not sure why any company would make anything CAT1 where the pins don't line up between 26-28" and following the standard.

/ New wood chipper, will not fit my CAT1quick hitch...what are my options? #19  
Are you sure? The QH is too heavy to lift it that high and balance it with one hand while trying to pin the tractor's lower links into the QH. And if the other side slips off the end of the arm its resting on, you are risking mashed fingers.

I mount the QH working at ground level. Engage the top link first then lift each leg of the QH a couple of inches to pin it on.
It's not difficult. I lift my arms about halfway. I have all my pins handy and then put the QH on the arms. I use my top link pin as a temporary arm pin. Its undersized to the hole and slips right in. This gives you the stability to focus on aligning the second arm. Then I properly pin the second side and go back and fix the first side. After that attach the top link.

/ New wood chipper, will not fit my CAT1quick hitch...what are my options? #20  
I don't think most people modify their actual quick hitch. They sell quick hitches for CAT1, CAT2, etc which would be at the correct size for those implements. I would think it is the other way around where you try to adjust the implement by getting shorter/longer pins, reversing them(in vs. out), using washers as spacers to shim more gap, or by using the adapters for top link mount points. Not sure why any company would make anything CAT1 where the pins don't line up between 26-28" and following the standard.
Implements are probably "approximately " CAT X size (using old skool measurements) not the most recent defined standard...,
Ands I agree not do not damage or change hitch but to FIX offending implement to within latest "standard"...