New Wood Stove

/ New Wood Stove #1  

GBeck

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota
Just had it my new fusion wood stove installed ... WOW what a difference then the oil furnace...(now I'll have lots of oil for the shop furnace on the other thread :D)
But what I am wondering is what everyone is using for wood storage in the house. The wife is starting to insist I stop using the gray storage tub for keeping the wood inside...

/ New Wood Stove #2  
For me, outside storage where you can bring in what you need for immediate placement into the stove is best. I dont know about you; but when I am down at the woodpile, or even at the house woodpile, I move a piece of wood and out pops everything from big ol wolf spiders, lil spiders, roaches, beetles, carpenter ants..........on and on..........I especially fear powder post beetle invasion into my home from doing this..............

Anyway, I bring up to the porch just outside the door and stack enough wood for 3 or 4 days depending upon the weather and feed the stove from there..........Dennis

/ New Wood Stove
right outside the door I piled enough for roughly a week or so...but I am trying to get into the habit of bringing in a days worth into the house mostly just because I don't wanna have to open the outside door right before bed....

never really gave much thought about the spiders and such.....good point:)

/ New Wood Stove #4  
I can deal with spiders in the wood. I can deal with just any old bug.

But after the mice got into the house no more wood was piled up on the porch. :mad: We have a big rubber maid two wheeled wheel barrow. Two loads a week heat the house. Keeps the porch a bit cleaner. Keeps most of the bugs out of the house. And NO &^^&^(& mice. :D

Later,
Dan

/ New Wood Stove #5  
my uncle that burns to heat his house has a special built in wood bin that nests under the stairs right next to the stove in the living room.

ive seen these types of racks in other peoples houses

cmw_firewood_rack_120600.jpg

If your handy seems something purpose built would be just the thing.
1_firewood_rack_main_400.jpg

/ New Wood Stove #6  
We store our firewood in plastic bags in the form of pellets. Around here, pellet prices are very close in price based on heat content as cord wood. Its clean to store and easy to transport. Depending upon weather, a 40# bag can last 1-2 days. With the programmable tstat for the stove, we can forget the stove for the most part. dump in a bag of pellets in the hopper when needed and remove ash every few days and that's it.

Still have 3-4 cords of firewood stacked from when we were using a stick burner.

What we do may not be the anwser for everyone.

/ New Wood Stove
haven't had the mice problem 'yet', but I am sure they are coming, I've only been in the country for about a year now, but I do see the dead ones that the cats catch so hopefully that will keep them out of the house.

schmism - that is what she is looking for, can't say I've seen them around here like that...nice pic

3rrl - I have been following that thread...nice looking cart

/ New Wood Stove #9  
My woodstove is in my basement and I used to put 10 full cords of wood all around the furnace in one corner of the basement. I use less wood and more propane, so I brought in 6 cords this year.

We get so much snow (15 to 30 feet) that it would be a major ordeal to bring it in after the snow begins to fall, so we have learned to have it all in position before the snow flies.

/ New Wood Stove #10  
Just had it my new fusion wood stove installed ... WOW what a difference then the oil furnace...(now I'll have lots of oil for the shop furnace on the other thread :D)
But what I am wondering is what everyone is using for wood storage in the house. The wife is starting to insist I stop using the gray storage tub for keeping the wood inside...

I use one of these to bring in the wood from my front porch to the wood stove. I also have a canvas wood carrier that I place at the bottom of it to help keep some of the dirt contained. If I bring in a full load, it is enough wood to last me for a day. (note: I am not the old guy in the picture :) )

Attachments

• 10815.jpg
    10815.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 123