New X310 Now Won't Start

/ New X310 Now Won't Start
Re: New X310 Now Won't Start. Update, Problem Solved

Problem found. Took it to the dealer and the service person tried starting it only it wouldn't turn over. When he pulled the second spark plug gasoline poured out. (When I'd pulled them no gas came out at all the plugs were just wet) He felt it was the float valve in the carburetor saying he'd seen one before that had a bit of plastic in it not allowing it to seat and close. I suggested it could be the float itself. He said he was ordering a new one (I assumed float valve). Two days later it was ready. He had to take a carburetor off another new tractor because Deere didn't have any of these carburetors in stock and didn't know when they would have them. Anyway it started right up and runs perfectly. When he looked at the removed carburetor he said there was a piece in the casting which the float was sometimes contacting keeping it from raising up and shutting off. I was a little disappointed he didn't change the oil and filter saying the level was fine and he didn't smell gasoline in it. I think I can smell some so I'm changing it myself just to be sure, so the first oil change will be at 2 hours instead of the 8 in the service schedule.
I'm just glad he knew what he was doing and found the problem right away while I was there. I would have bet that it was one of the safety switches. Anyway I'll change the oil now then put my "safety defeat switch jumpers" back in. When I'm mowing I like to turn around and look behind when I'm backing up, not look down on the dash and fumble with raising a switch.

/ New X310 Now Won't Start #12  
Glad your mystery has been solved Milo, these types of things can be very frustrating, especially when it's new! I agree with you on the safety switches too, I've changed mine and it makes the mower much easier to use.

Thanks Teddy. Now it's sorted out I'm pleased how it operates, both the effortless steering and how smooth and quiet the hydrostatic functions. The 42" deck cuts just fine with stock the 3 in 1 blades and the mulch plug on.

/ New X310 Now Won't Start #14  
I know you already found the solution, but just for future reference.

Any time your spark plugs are wet, you are getting way too much fuel, and it is flooding. 9 times out of 10, this is a carburetor issue.

A word of advice from a small engine mechanic, your biggest enemy is bad fuel. Gasoline today is only good for about 60 days max. Ethanol breaks down very fast. When gas is allowed to sit in your fuel system, over the winter for example, it turns into something similar to varnish. It smells terrible, and plugs the holes in your jet.

I know this wasn't your fault, but just remember to always get as much fuel out of your machine as possible before it will sit for long periods of time. Carburetors have a drain screw on the bowl, undo that screw and empty the bowl of all fuel before you store the machine for winter. This screw is usually off to one side of the bowl on a 45 degree angle. The screw in the center of the bottom of the hole will remove the bowl completely from the carburetor body.

Unfortunately, this is a common issue I see at the shop I work at. Dealerships put riding mowers out for display in 2012, let people run it around a bit, and when it finally sells in mid 2013, it has fuel that is 18 months old in it. I know your issue was a casting flaw, but stale fuel from dealer floor models is always an issue.

Thanks, JD. I mistakenly assumed after cranking and no fire, but wet plugs, it was a no spark issue. I know now.

Yeah I'm familiar with our poor excuse for gasoline. I use straight gasoline when I can but the only place to buy it is 30 miles the wrong way. But my 5 gallon cans always get StaBil added when they're filled, and an extra dose at the end of the season for storage. Float bowls get purged every Spring and Fall in everything with a carburetor because that's where water can accumulate. Conveniently the carburetors on all the ATV's, motorcycles, etc have drain valves.