New Yanmar---Cub Cabet

/ New Yanmar---Cub Cabet #1  

RS69

Tractor
Yanmar
I was at the local fair the other night and saw an amazing site, new Yanmar's. These Yanmar's are being imported by Cub Cadet. I was impressed by the quality and the price. It is not as affordable as my 1610D, but compared to the JD's, Kubota’s, etc, it was very affordable, 32 horse power at the flywheel and a loader for $16K.

Last edited:
   / New Yanmar---Cub Cabet #2  
Just remember....it is a contract tractor. Who is MARKETING it? Some new corporation set up solely to market it. Look around and see how many contract tractors became orphans. Early JD compact owners are beginning to have serious problems finding parts. Guess who made those tractors? But they were made under contract, and that contract has ended.

The aftermarket parts network for grey Yanmars is probably far larger than the parts availability for the vast majority of contract tractors.

/ New Yanmar---Cub Cabet #3  
LMTC said:
Just remember....it is a contract tractor. Who is MARKETING it? Some new corporation set up solely to market it. Look around and see how many contract tractors became orphans. Early JD compact owners are beginning to have serious problems finding parts. Guess who made those tractors? But they were made under contract, and that contract has ended.

The aftermarket parts network for grey Yanmars is probably far larger than the parts availability for the vast majority of contract tractors.

MTD has been around since the forties! I don't peg them any different then Case-IH, New Holland Kioti or JD!!!!!!

Much less for any american conversion of the chinese names or for where they came from and I'd still stick with a large company with roots over a start-up!

/ New Yanmar---Cub Cabet #4  
art said:
MTD has been around since the forties! I don't peg them any different then Case-IH, New Holland Kioti or JD!!!!!!

Much less for any american conversion of the chinese names or for where they came from and I'd still stick with a large company with roots over a start-up!

I think you missed Wayne's point. John Deere has been around longer that MTD and the parts for their Yanmar built tractors are getting scarce. It has nothing to do with a start up vs and established company. It is just modern day business.

/ New Yanmar---Cub Cabet #5  
I know with autos, (I assume tractors also) parts are made for x # of years. After those years are up & the parts are gone , that's it, no more new parts.

/ New Yanmar---Cub Cabet #6  
I am reminded of the Allis Chalmers 5020 attempted rebuild.

I found, after daily calls for more than a week, NOS pistons, rings, rod and main bearings coming from four different states, and I never did find over-sized liners which would have to be machined from liner stock. The costs associated with parts, freight, machine shop and delivery were too prohibitive for the AC 5020 owner to finish the overhaul.

Recently sold my Massey Ferguson 1020 (early 90's model) for the same reason. The Hinomoto, then Toyosha parts support from AGCO became less every visit to their parts counter.

Now John Deere...some 14 Yanmar based JD models will be as you've stated above, the end of another contract built tractor, parts and support issues will be gone in just a few short years...

Mark

/ New Yanmar---Cub Cabet #7  
Ok, good points but are there any new compact tractors that are not "contract tractors"? What new tractors are you recommending? I guess most the mahindras are made by Mahindra? Kubota? Kioti and Cub cadets were being made by daedong! Who is making the New Hollands? Who is making the new JD. In this world economy we are also seeing parts coming from everywhere and final assembly points are becoming less revelent.

/ New Yanmar---Cub Cabet #8  
Daedong IS Kioti....that is not a contract tractor. Kioti is the trade name for the primary line made by Daedong, not a separate vendor who contracts with Daedong. Kubota is the only other I am aware of that is marketed directly (ok, indirectly because there's Kubota USA and Kubota Int or whatever, but the relationship is essentially direct).

Because of the sheer volume, as long as supply and demand economics are at work, I believe that even 10 or more years down the road there will be better aftermarket parts support for the grey yanmars than just about anything else one could buy...even most current new tractors. We can access most anything for a good number of the YM models, ranging from 24-30 years old. Try to find parts for the early Ford compacts made by Shibaura...some of those have become orphanS(hte 1600 comes to mind), and others will. Try parts for the first JD compacts...the 50 series, as well as some of the 70s series. The 50s were sold fom 78-89 in 4 different models. We have JD dealers calling us looking for parts for them through our aftermarket supply.