New Year's Day traditions

/ New Year's Day traditions #11  
Re: New Year\'s Day traditions

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Harv, I'm glad your wife's teaching your properly. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif Of course I am very fond of blackeyed peas anytime; especially if accompanied by fried okra and cornbread. And it sure doesn't hurt anything to have some sliced tomatoes and onions along with it, and even a little squash, fried or steamed. )</font>

Dang, Bird....you just described my favorite meal. I'm close enough, so next year it's New Year's Day at Bird's house for me. As long as you can find some decent tomatoes then. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ New Year's Day traditions #12  

My wife made a "bed" with 4 large cans of sauerkraut in the bottom of a large roasting pan, laid in some quarter-cut potatoes and some large prok chops, added spices (especially some fennel), and roasted the concoction until the pork was falling off the bones. I had made a special creole mustard sauce, something like a gravy, to go with my Christmas crown roast of pork which would have been a nice addition, but it all disappeared at the Crhistmas meal. However, the mustard gravy recipe called for heavy cream, which we don't usually have on hand, and there was enough left that my wife used it to make the mashed potatoes -- they were really rich and creamy!

I've thought about having a side dish of blackeyed peas just to double our luck, and to make sure no evil has a chance to occur, but I don't think I would have been able to eat another bite, this year. Fortunately, our luck has been running pretty good without them, but I still have a twinge of worry... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ New Year's Day traditions #13  

We do somthing similar. Blackeyes, sauerkraut, cabbage, and pork. Our local variation is to have hog jaw (jowel at the store) which is basicly really fatty bacon. Usually we'll have a ham or somthing as well. Of course there are all the attendent pies, sweets, and most importantly, family.

/ New Year's Day traditions #14  

When I was growing up, our traditional southern New Year's Day meal consisted of black-eyed peas, collard greens, and chitlins, all served at Granny's house.

Fortunately we also had chitlin cornbread and ham too /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ New Year's Day traditions #15  

I'm just happy I don't have the New Year's Day tradition shared by so many-an ice bag and a bottle of aspirin. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

I try to ride my bike every New Year's Day if the roads and weather are anywhere near acceptable. I have a lower level for that than most people, especially on that day. If the main roads are clear and it's not snowing or raining heavily, I'm out riding. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

This year it was nice enough out that I actually saw a couple other bikes on the road.

/ New Year's Day traditions #16  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( This year it was nice enough out that I actually saw a couple other bikes on the road. )</font>

Should have come a little farther north. You'd have seen a bunch of guys out chasing the little white ball! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ New Year's Day traditions #17  

our new year tradition is lutefisk. I know you need to be crazy to eat it, but it is the tradition and we still do it. As the older generation passes on we may change it to oh.. i don't know, something like margaritas. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif