new ZD21 owner

/ new ZD21 owner #1  

ae_ted

Silver Member
Tractor
MF 1040
just bought a 2002 ZD21 for $3500. Are these good mowers? Did I do ok on price? Where can i get a owners manual? Any experience with these mowers? Reason I went with this was my Woods 6180,s Briggs 18 hp Vanguard blew up with 750hr and the motor was going to have to be replaced at about $2000(motor plus installation) So for about $1500 more I was able to get a working 760hr Diesel 60" mower. I now have a MF1040 tractor with a Woods RD72 finish mower and a new to me Kubota ZD21. SIde note: the wife said I would have to paint the Kubota as she was not going to have any thing tenn orange on the property(We are KY fans). I told her kubota was not same as tenn orange!

/ new ZD21 owner #2  
I don't follow the prices that close, but it sounds like a really good price to me.

/ new ZD21 owner #3  
Sounds like you did good, I bought a ZD21 w/520 hrs last fall for $3995. It had the trans replaced, the early ZD21s had trans problems if used on hills so they upgraded them and extended the warranty. The service department stressed keeping the trans overfilled to the top of the flat on the dipstick, the newer ones are not affected by this.
Here's a link w/pics. http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/kubota-buying-pricing/145810-zd21.html

/ new ZD21 owner
Thanks for the reply and good information!

/ new ZD21 owner
Mowed my 2.8 acres this morning. The ZD does not like wet grass. I can now see how some Z turn mowers might slip on a slope and be a bit dangerous. My old Woods front deck just went were you wanted, hill or not. I can go under brush all but maybe 2 or 3 inches of what i could do with the front deck woods. The diesel is very smooth running. This was the first cut for my yard this year and the grass was wet and very tall this morning but the ZD21 had no problems with it at all. Did not use even 1/2 tank of fuel. The ZD is faster ground speed than the old woods and this thing is even faster cutting than the woods. Wife mowed 1/3 of yard this morning and she likes it also. The vibration of the old woods running hurt her knees after a while and the ZD21(2002 750hr) did not bother her at all so it must be smoother running than the old woods (may the Briggs vanguard engine rest in peace after blowing up after only 780hr). I expect this diesel to be running for many more years. I can trim around things like a clothes line pole better with the ZD than the old woods. Overall I really think this is a better mower than the woods. I NEVER thought I would go away from a front deck, but this ZD does all I could ask from it. IF I had a lot of steep slopes, I would probably still want a front deck, But this ZD is awesome on all of my moderate ditches. First impression of my new to me ZD21...I Like It!!

/ new ZD21 owner #6  
I'd say you did very well ! The ZD series does'nt do all things great, but most things very well.