Buying Advice Newbie looking at FORD INDUSTRIAL backhoe

/ Newbie looking at FORD INDUSTRIAL backhoe #11  
How far are you willing to travel to scope one out?
Funny you should ask that... are you familiar with the World Ag Expo in Tulare? About 300 miles. I'll be going there in February to spend 3 days just looking at tractors.

So, 300 miles is not too far.:laughing:

/ Newbie looking at FORD INDUSTRIAL backhoe
You must have a nice trailer?

I have been thinking that, with the bad economy and then city going bankrupt, Stockton might have a surplus of equipment for sale. I might go on a scouting trip up that way and do some poking around in the San Joaquin Valley on way up or way down. If I take the wife, I can call it a vacation!

/ Newbie looking at FORD INDUSTRIAL backhoe #14  
My two cents. Ran a FORD 840 (841?) in 60's while working my way through school. This was a rare animal for itrs time as it had an Eranco aftermarket driving front axle. Inearly 60's 4WD loader backhoes were non-existant with exception of big Dynahoes. Great machines for the money. had a buddy who was a Deere salesman and his line-other than.."nothing runs like a Deere" was once a customer got into a Ford for a lot less money, he could never get that customer back.

I would keep looking for a cleaner Ford-3000 or 4000 series. If you have the $ hold out for a 555. they were a true integrated TLB. Also if you can find a clean Deere (310/410 series, can't go wrong there either. As for the guy with the machine with the empty radiator???n "If it looks like a duck...etc"

Hi Red Horse,
Oh yeah! We had a 555 in a paving contractor fleet when I wrenched there. I LOVED that baby! It was comfortable and easy to operate. I tried like crazy to keep the boss from sending it to Ritchie Brothers auction and would have bought it myself if he had let me. He was one of those guys that would ship off a piece of equipment if he didn't have a job for it to be on for a couple of months. I felt like he let go of a gem of an asset.
And yes, I'm paying attention to all of you and reconsidering even going back to take another crack at the Harvester. Too many negatives and...... quacks like a duck:~)

/ Newbie looking at FORD INDUSTRIAL backhoe #16  
Ford made several good hoes. I grew up around almost all of them my top two picks in the older hoe range are Case and Ford. Simple to wrench on. When I was 17 dad bought a 75 Ford 3550 based on an industrial Ford tractor. These had several differences to the age tractors. Straight axle beefier transmissions and bigger brakes and such. The hoe was a quick teach rig with a sub frame and a big clamp rig. The 3550 was only built 3-4 years. It was marketed as an economy 14 foot depth hoe. A 3 point industrial hitch with power tilt and down force was an option to. Dad bought the tractor in 97 to use around the place .

I came in from school the first full day it was home and started in on stumps. I bought from dad a few years later. Still use it daily at the landfill for unloading trailers and doing some maintenance.

Well, they must never have gotten the Harvester running since they've never called me back. The Case 580 just blew a cylinder on a job so I have other things to worry about now.

Thanks Taylortractornut for the trip down memory lane!