Mowing Newbie-looking for a belly mower for JD 870

/ Newbie-looking for a belly mower for JD 870 #1  

MGADon

Tractor
JD 870
Cheers, I'm a long time "lurker", first time poster on this board. I recently realized my dream of upgrading from my JD 770 to a pristine 870 previously owned by my retired neighbor. I'm presently installing a mid-pto kit and I'm on the hunt for a used 72 inch mid mount mower. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks. Don

/ Newbie-looking for a belly mower for JD 870 #2  
Hi, you may want to check machinefinder.com. About the mid PTO kit is it hard to install and what was the price on it if you don't mind me asking? Thanks and good choice of tractor!

Nick
990 4x4 turf, 272 RFM, 430 loader, 25A flail

/ Newbie-looking for a belly mower for JD 870
Hi Nick,
The kit for the70 series is a discontinued part # BM17995. I located one in a dealer's stock. He was showing the last listed price at $441. Considering how long he had stocked it, he was willing to sell it for $375 with shipping.
I'm quite impressed with the amount of hardware included. The installation doesn't look too bad.
A cover is removed from the bottom of the tramsmission. and one from the back right next to the rear pto shaft. The pto gearcase bolts where the bottom cover was, and a new shaft is inserted through the rear cover. The worst part is a multi-part system of levers and switches to effect the engagement, pto braking, and safety lockouts. There are fairly good instuctions with the kit, however. Are you considering adding a mid pto to your 990?

/ Newbie-looking for a belly mower for JD 870 #4  
Don,There are 2-72" Deere MMM's listed on E-Bay,one is brand new and has never been used for 2K...this one is for the 4xxx Series,but I'm sure it could be converted to fit your needs...

Do a search for "john deere mower"

Hi,
I've been eying those two listings. My limited knowledge so far is that 55 and 70 series decks are the same, only different brackets/hardware is required. I have a line on a full set of hardware to do the job. The guy is on vacation but I think he'll work with me. I'm wondering how much modification it would take to put on a deck from a 4600? Do you think it's physically larger? I have MIG, stick, and gas welders, and love to fabricate.
Don

/ Newbie-looking for a belly mower for JD 870 #6  
I was looking in to it at first but now that I got a 272 RFM a mid PTO is not needed. Just wondered since I saw a mid PTO kit for the 990 and JD said a mid PTO was not available after I emailed them. I guess if I get sick of the RFM I could get the mid pto & deck but the RFM is really nice for cleaning the bottom. What year 870 do you have? Just wondered. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Nick
990 4x4 turf, 272 RFM, 430 loader, 25A flail

It's a'93. I'm just getting into the pto install. It's just about the right time to do a 400 hour service, and the hydraulic fluid has to be drained anyway. The filter was pretty stuck after 10 years. I had to drill two holes in some flat bar and bolt that to the filter guard and use as leverage to keep the filter mount from twisting and bending while I wrestled the filter off. I'm still very happpy with the condition and capabilties of the machine.

How do yuo find the 990 for mowing? Does it damage your lawn? This is what I'm worried about with the 870.
Don

/ Newbie-looking for a belly mower for JD 870 #8  
Don,I can't say for sure if the decks differ in pysical size,but I doubt it.To the untrained eye such as mine,the older decks and the newer decks "look" the same,only diff. being the mounting tabs that are on the decks to connect the linkage to.

Kubota has used the same 72" MMM for several years and have adapted it to the model changes of the Tractors...

Good luck,sounds like a fun project to take on /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ Newbie-looking for a belly mower for JD 870 #9  
No the 990 does not damage my lawn. I got the wide turfs that really help and the 272 RFM does a great job. I did not know how it would cut since I have always used mid mount decks but now I am very pleased with my choice. We also have a 1992 970 that has a 72'' mid mount and that does not tear up the yard either so you should be fine. I can make a sharp turn and it still will not tear the turf. I just love the 70 series tractors. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks, Guys. I'll let you know how I make out.
Don