Newbie looking for tractor, overwhelmed by number of models..

/ Newbie looking for tractor, overwhelmed by number of models.. #41  
Does an industrial Ford 4400 have a rear 3 point? There is one for sale which has a rear backhoe, but I am not sure if it accepts other implements.

I don't see a 3pt on tractordata.com for that model, so I don't know. Even if it did, you would need to have the kit as they would be hard to find if the seller doesn't have it. Bear in mind that many of these old backhoes were NOT quick disconnect style and often took hours to disconnect and reconnect (at least for me). They were not like my current Kubota set up where it is a matter of minutes.

Last edited:
   / Newbie looking for tractor, overwhelmed by number of models..
Thank you Tom. I am not interested in hours upon hours of labor to switch it out. It seemed to be in nice condition with low hours. Was thinking of looking at it.

I am noticing that 9n, 2n, 8n and other really old Ford tractors are a dime a dozen. Most are overpriced, and don't seem to sell. They just sit on Craigslist forever. I have decided I want live PTO at the minimum, and a front loader for sure. I also need a Bush Hog and box blade or similar. 2wd is fine, and gas is ok, but I definitely want something which has been taken care of. If somebody has just left the tractor outside in the elements for 30 years, I consider that abuse. It is nice to see machines which people have taken care of.

/ Newbie looking for tractor, overwhelmed by number of models.. #44  
Thank you Tom. I am not interested in hours upon hours of labor to switch it out. It seemed to be in nice condition with low hours. Was thinking of looking at it.

It wouldn't hurt to look at it, just in case.

/ Newbie looking for tractor, overwhelmed by number of models.. #45  
I am noticing that 9n, 2n, 8n and other really old Ford tractors are a dime a dozen. Most are overpriced, and don't seem to sell. They just sit on Craigslist forever. I have decided I want live PTO at the minimum, and a front loader for sure. I also need a Bush Hog and box blade or similar. 2wd is fine, and gas is ok, but I definitely want something which has been taken care of. If somebody has just left the tractor outside in the elements for 30 years, I consider that abuse. It is nice to see machines which people have taken care of.

go for a 660/661, 860, 861, optionally a 960/961 if you want a trike, or at least a rowcrop .. perhaps with a wide front... otherwise a 2000, /4000 4 cyl with a 5spd, a 2000-3000 3 cyl with an 8spd, and do check id for live pto... in the end.. if you could find it.. a 4000/4600 3 cyl , ind pto would be the ticket. good hp.. good size.. live power.. and a great front axle for the loader.

SU series machines will have a ld axle like a 3000 etc..

/ Newbie looking for tractor, overwhelmed by number of models.. #46  
I'm thinking a MF 135 or something of that size.
I had one of those for a while and had a miserable time with the shift linkage. $3K at a farm action and that probably says it all. If you are not mechanically adept, make sure of your service and parts for any used tractor before buying.

/ Newbie looking for tractor, overwhelmed by number of models.. #47  
Beside the $6K you have what can you afford on a monthly payment for 5 years. I bought 24,000 worth of new tractor and implements for a little over $400/mo. My Kubota BX 25 will do everything you want one to do and more. Comes w/ a backhoe. Until you have a BH you will wonder how you would do without. Save your cash for something else and go new, $0 down, 0% interest at all the SCUT dealers, Kubota, JD, New Holland, the Chinese ones. Ride them all and pick the one you like best and you cannot go wrong. I picked the Bota.

Ron
I'm with Ron here. If you are committed to really using your tool for a long time, see about making it a car payment. Buy too used you will be spending too much time with maintenance, looking for parts, wondering how to upgrade. But we all know that there are limits on what you can afford. I bought a BX25D for under $20K 0 down 0 interest with some accessories and insurance. Peace of mind, and it's no toy!!!

/ Newbie looking for tractor, overwhelmed by number of models.. #48  
I was quoted $17990 [out the door] for the L3200 w/ FEL. But that was the cash price. Not sure what discount I would get for that. It is tempting, but I have talked myself out of it for now.

I'm usually not one to advocate debt, but if you could find a four or five year old tractor in that HP range, it would do as much or more than the bigger 40 year old tractors. With far few problems. As far as the backhoe, we bought a used one mounted on a trailer. It was fifteen years ago, but we only paid $2.5K. It has dug many a fish pond, a few garbage holes and done a lot of lifting over the years. And if you have a heavier truck, you don't even have to hook it to the tractor to use.

/ Newbie looking for tractor, overwhelmed by number of models.. #49  
Pretendfarmer,

Put these on your "Watch for" list. International Harvester, 424, 444, 454, 464. John Deere 1010,1020, 1520, 2010, 2020, 2510, 2520. These are from the mid 60s to early 70s 2 wheel drive tractors. They will have 3point hitch, check for live pto, though most will be live(two stage clutch) it was an option often. They will have live hydraulics usually as well. These are utility Ag tractors and a GIANT leap over 2N, 8N, 9Ns.

These show up between $4500-$7000 usually.

go for a 660/661, 860, 861, optionally a 960/961 if you want a trike, or at least a rowcrop .. perhaps with a wide front... otherwise a 2000, /4000 4 cyl with a 5spd, a 2000-3000 3 cyl with an 8spd, and do check id for live pto... in the end.. if you could find it.. a 4000/4600 3 cyl , ind pto would be the ticket. good hp.. good size.. live power.. and a great front axle for the loader.

SU series machines will have a ld axle like a 3000 etc..

Wouldn't you know that a clean Ford 861 with a 722 loader came on Craigslist within the last couple days and it sold immediately. I did not even have a chance to go look at it. That's the problem- everybody is looking for the good ones.

PS- The 4400 was gone immediately, too. Same day it was listed.