Newbie needs advice on when is the optimum time to cut hay.

/ Newbie needs advice on when is the optimum time to cut hay. #11  
You don't say what all tools you have for making hay. If you don't have a tedder, I might suggest getting one. They can be a real life saver, especially for horse hay. You most definitely want it dry.

I cut mine Thursday, and it is very heavy. A mix of Rye Grass, Red Clover, Alfalfa, Blue Grass, and supposed to be some Tuukka Timothy in there. Clover is just starting to bloom, Rye & Bluegrass is headed out, & fine stemmed. Saw some bloom on the Alfalfa too. Got my 4 day window to make it, so cut it down. Ought to make some pretty decent hay

I tedded it yesterday morning when the dew was still on. It dried pretty decent, but will check here in a bit, and see what it looks like. May hit it again, before the dew is completely off, if it needs turned over. Then again tomorrow before raking. Humidity has dropped to 45% here the last two afternoons, with 10+ mph winds. Great hay drying weather for around here.

A fellow I worked with custom baled hay. He told me his secret to tedding hay, is to do it when the dew is still on. Hay is still pretty tough, and it will not knock the leaves off. You will get some loss the day of baling, but not like waiting until later in the day.

I'll be spending the day hitching tools up & gone over. Lots handier having a tractor & tool for each job..!!

Attachments

• 2014 First cutting hay 002.jpg
    2014 First cutting hay 002.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 105
   / Newbie needs advice on when is the optimum time to cut hay. #12  
From my experience, which is rather limited, I like Babygrand's posted answer, however that's not easy because when the neighbor is cutting, he doesn't have time. That goes especially with baling your hay unless you have a baler. As far as when the plant' s optimum time for cutting has arrived, my opinion is that the head or seeds just appearing is when I would do it. If I would have had synthetics 40 years ago I sure would have had more fun making hay.

/ Newbie needs advice on when is the optimum time to cut hay. #13  
If he can come cut it next week you should be fine...

/ Newbie needs advice on when is the optimum time to cut hay. #15  
Looks like some Hemp Dogbane in there but if you can get it cut before it seeds then you can get rid of it and a lot of the other weeds.

/ Newbie needs advice on when is the optimum time to cut hay. #16  
I have always found that the real difference between horse hay and hay for dairy cattle, is the difference in quality. The best hay goes to the cow producing milk. The worst hay goes to the horse. That said, hay for horses has to be absolutely dry before it is bailed. If the bale is "heavy", it is not dry enough and will mold in the barn - even if it is dry enough to stack. The mold is a problem for horses because of the dust problem attached to it and the potential to ruin a horse's lungs- when they inhale the dust as they eat.
Plenty of horses have been on rich heavy alfalfa or clover hay. They eat it fine. Too much and it may lead to blood clotting problems. I saw a three year old stud (new to the barn) gelded and almost bleed to death. The owner after talking with the vet said the horse had been on clover for some time.
We like a timothy mix for our horses and stay away from anything fertilized with septic sludge. In our area, fields are frequently cut in sections, instead of the whole field at once. This allows people to get the hay under cover and stacked when they are working alone, or with one helper.
I don't worry about the nutritional value of hay, I feed grain as well. It is the getting dry hay that concerns me most- that won't mold in the barn. Dry hay never does.

/ Newbie needs advice on when is the optimum time to cut hay.
You don't say what all tools you have for making hay. If you don't have a tedder, I might suggest getting one. !

DJ- I indeed do have a tedder. Actually, a New Holland 255 Rake/Tedder which I purchased last year after learning a harsh lesson about needing one. Thanks for the advice about tedding in the AM with a damp crop. I will give this a try this year.

tmac