Newbie To YM looking for answers.

/ Newbie To YM looking for answers. #1  

MahindraYanmar

Tractor
Mahindra 1526, Yanmar 186D
I have had a Mahindra 1526 for a couple years. It kinda feels like a Cadillac. The Yanmar 186d feels like an old time tractor. But I kinda like it.

I bought it to develop a 3A flat property so i don’t have to truck Big Red 400 miles one way. I can’t use it here because of the hills and no ROPS.
I have read through the forum, very informative. Some of the starting suggestions have helped

Stupid me, didn’t try the PTO when I looked at it. When i got it home I tried it and thats when the problems start. PTO test stirred up water in the Hydraulic system. Milk Leaking out of all the seals on the FEL.

Flushed and filled, added some Lucas conditioner. Got leaks to an acceptable, not catastrophic level.

Some questions
  1. PTO seems to be running very slow. Tried it today, ran fine in Double Neutral. It ran at speed. Do I need to start it in Neutral then shift into 1,2,3?.
  2. I know the guy I bought it from is a tinkerer He took the FEL off another in his bone yard. How much extra Fluid is needed for to run the FEL?
  3. I think my FEL jerking is due to not enough fluid. If you guys tell me 3g or more. , I will believe. I think I have 2.5 in now.
  4. After I got it off the trailer, I found hook piece on the trailer. The 4 wheel drive lever is not engaging anything. It did before i loaded it. A thread on here gave me a clue, but I am confused because the schematic didn’t match the pics. Pics had a hook, Schematic didn’t, Confused on this.

/ Newbie To YM looking for answers. #2  
First I would change is the hydraulic fluid and clean the filter screen that's inside the tractor, that could be why its jerky (sp)

The reason the fluid looks like milk is because there is water in it !

/ Newbie To YM looking for answers. #3  
I have had a Mahindra 1526 for a couple years. It kinda feels like a Cadillac. The Yanmar 186d feels like an old time tractor. But I kinda like it.

I bought it to develop a 3A flat property so i don’t have to truck Big Red 400 miles one way. I can’t use it here because of the hills and no ROPS.
I have read through the forum, very informative. Some of the starting suggestions have helped

Stupid me, didn’t try the PTO when I looked at it. When i got it home I tried it and thats when the problems start. PTO test stirred up water in the Hydraulic system. Milk Leaking out of all the seals on the FEL.

Flushed and filled, added some Lucas conditioner. Got leaks to an acceptable, not catastrophic level.

Some questions
  1. PTO seems to be running very slow. Tried it today, ran fine in Double Neutral. It ran at speed. Do I need to start it in Neutral then shift into 1,2,3?.
  2. I know the guy I bought it from is a tinkerer He took the FEL off another in his bone yard. How much extra Fluid is needed for to run the FEL?
  3. I think my FEL jerking is due to not enough fluid. If you guys tell me 3g or more. , I will believe. I think I have 2.5 in now.
  4. After I got it off the trailer, I found hook piece on the trailer. The 4 wheel drive lever is not engaging anything. It did before i loaded it. A thread on here gave me a clue, but I am confused because the schematic didn’t match the pics. Pics had a hook, Schematic didn’t, Confused on this.
When you flushed the hydraulic system, these older tractors can use diesel for the flush and a few cans of Seafoam. From Yanmar records, the capacity is between 8.5 to 9qts stock, without loader nor power steering nor external power beyond.

And when refilling use only J20C specified fluid. Be sure it states MEETS J20C and never 'compatible' with nor 'recommended'. Those are marketing terms and can cause odd behaviors with the hydraulics otherwise.

Here are examples,

TF500A=J20C_.jpg

20220710_153346md.jpg

20220710_153416md.jpg

/ Newbie To YM looking for answers. #4  

Some questions
BTW, do you need manuals ? We have them all for free at the YTOG,

Not just the parts manuals, there are OPS manuals, the data sheets, attachments, etc. Plus a community membership of nearly 3,000 Yanmar owners who have been there and done that already to pass on good wisdom. :) All free of course.

/ Newbie To YM looking for answers.
@bmaverick Thanks I have been working with a 186 parts list and a 165 manual.

When I flushed and filled I used JD20 and cleaned the screen before final fill. Had to wait for a new screen cover.

The info I had found said 2.1G for the tractor hydraulic capacity. I wasn’t sure how much more for the FEL

/ Newbie To YM looking for answers. #6  
When I flushed and filled I used JD20 and cleaned the screen before final fill. Had to wait for a new screen cover.
I assume that's the screen and cover beneath your left thigh. Did you also replace the larger filter below the loader control? That one was common for Ford so is widely available.

And did you find the transmission/hydraulic dipstick? It's below the seat, on the left. At the center of this photo.

p1630139rym186d-transdipstick-jpg.189580

I assume that's the screen and cover beneath your left thigh. Did you also replace the larger filter below the loader control? That one was common for Ford so is widely available.

And did you find the transmission/hydraulic dipstick? It's below the seat, on the left. At the center of this photo.

p1630139rym186d-transdipstick-jpg.189580
Screen cover below your left knee, Filter on the right-Napa 1525 even though I did a WIX because all the NAPA dealers were all out in the state
The dip stick will show fluid, but on a second dip not much. I think my jerking FEL is due to low fluid.

More interested in why the PTO is slow, but runs at speed in neutral

/ Newbie To YM looking for answers. #8  
Screen cover below your left knee, Filter on the right-Napa 1525 even though I did a WIX because all the NAPA dealers were all out in the state
The dip stick will show fluid, but on a second dip not much. I think my jerking FEL is due to low fluid.
Ok, filters don't seem to be the issue.
More interested in why the PTO is slow, but runs at speed in neutral
That is really strange. The shaft driving the PTO internal gears in effect, comes straight back from the clutch. Engage the clutch, the PTO gears are mechanically linked and should turn, either 540 or 1,000 rpm, at 'pto speed' on the tach. Have you tried driving a mower or something from the PTO?

And the PTO shaft shouldn't turn with its shifter in neutral.

EDIT - SEE MY NEXT POST.

Last edited:
   / Newbie To YM looking for answers. #9  
Looking at the YM186D Parts diagrams, I can't find a separate removable PTO module like I found on my YM240.

Apparently the shifter just moves things inside the transmission like an ordinary gearshift. See figure 42 in the 1980 microfilm version, or the 2010 pdf version, YM186 Parts Manual.

Last edited:
I have one of those strange 3 speed below and 3 speeds up top trannys.
If i can put short videos up I will try tomorrow