Snow Equipment Owning/Operating Newbie with a 3 mile snowplow challenge

/ Newbie with a 3 mile snowplow challenge #11  
PeatMoss, I really don't care to recommend a specific tractor because there are several brands that are reliable and capable. Personally, I am partial to Kubota but John Deere, Case IH. New Holland, Mahindra, Kioti and others make quality tractors in the size and features mentioned above.

In the Kubotas, look at the M series. Expect $35,000 plus for a NEW cab tractor alone minimum. Then add the cost of front end loader, snow plow and snow blower.

/ Newbie with a 3 mile snowplow challenge #12  
Not sure what your terrain looks like but it's a lot quicker and more comfortable to plow snow in a truck. I have a tractor and a Chevy Diesel pick up with a V plow. I would choose the truck to plow any day. Snow blowing around the door yard or where there's no room to plow makes perfect sense. 3 miles is a long way to snow blow or plow with a tractor.

/ Newbie with a 3 mile snowplow challenge #13  
Skiah - absolutely. A plow truck is the way to go.

Everyone here has hammers, so they're looking for nails - but the right tool is a full-sized truck with an 8 ft plow, not a tractor. Ask anyone who clears snow for a living what tool they want for 3 miles of paved road - and you'll universally get "truck."

You can buy a very reliable used plow truck for much less than the price of a 50HP closed station tractor and have enough left over for a nice used 25HP sub-cut and attachments to handle the maintenance of the 1/4 mile of gravel.

/ Newbie with a 3 mile snowplow challenge #14  
PeatMoss, I really don't care to recommend a specific tractor because there are several brands that are reliable and capable. Personally, I am partial to Kubota but John Deere, Case IH. New Holland, Mahindra, Kioti and others make quality tractors in the size and features mentioned above.

In the Kubotas, look at the M series. Expect $35,000 plus for a NEW cab tractor alone minimum. Then add the cost of front end loader, snow plow and snow blower.

Not sure what your terrain looks like but it's a lot quicker and more comfortable to plow snow in a truck. I have a tractor and a Chevy Diesel pick up with a V plow. I would choose the truck to plow any day. Snow blowing around the door yard or where there's no room to plow makes perfect sense. 3 miles is a long way to snow blow or plow with a tractor.

Skiah - absolutely. A plow truck is the way to go.

Everyone here has hammers, so they're looking for nails - but the right tool is a full-sized truck with an 8 ft plow, not a tractor. Ask anyone who clears snow for a living what tool they want for 3 miles of paved road - and you'll universally get "truck."

You can buy a very reliable used plow truck for much less than the price of a 50HP closed station tractor and have enough left over for a nice used 25HP sub-cut and attachments to handle the maintenance of the 1/4 mile of gravel.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The heavy wet snows he receives there are referred to as Cascade Concrete
and a plow truck will in no way handle it.

He is dealing with melt freeze cycles that make very very dense snow pack and it does
not melt very well during the snow season when the chinook winds are heavy and bring
plenty of hevay wet snow and wild temperature swings along with it.

The other issue is snow banks as they do not melt very well either and the heavy snow pack
will only be managed with a snow caster.

/ Newbie with a 3 mile snowplow challenge #15  
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The heavy wet snows he receives there are referred to as Cascade Concrete
and a plow truck will in no way handle it.

He is dealing with melt freeze cycles that make very very dense snow pack and it does
not melt very well during the snow season when the chinook winds are heavy and bring
plenty of hevay wet snow and wild temperature swings along with it.

The other issue is snow banks as they do not melt very well either and the heavy snow pack
will only be managed with a snow caster.

I'm familiar with Cascade Concrete, but I wasn't aware that everyone up there used blowers. I've seen mostly plow trucks. Are they all wrong?

Perhaps the issue is whether or not he'll be able to plow regularly, as other snow removal companies do. If he's only clearing the road on demand when someone wants to visit, he'll need a snow thrower. If he's doing it after every storm, a plow truck will be fine.

Chinook winds melt snow. They're call "snow-eaters," not "snow-makers." If they do create snow, they create powder - not cement.

/ Newbie with a 3 mile snowplow challenge #16  
If the snows are frequent with no melt there is a limit to which a plow can work.

/ Newbie with a 3 mile snowplow challenge #17  
If the snows are frequent with no melt there is a limit to which a plow can work.

Which is why you plow frequently during big storms.

Look around the country - you'll see the prime choice of snow removal professionals all over the place is the truck & plow whenever the amount to be removed is measured in miles. It's cheaper & faster than a tractor. Are there tractors and/or snowblowers in use in some specialized areas? Sure, but there's nothing to indicate (yet) that this is such a case.

If he isn't able to plow frequently, then a tractor/blower may be better - but he's a "year round" caretaker that "brings guests up." That implies to me that he's in residence at the camp year round and a plow is the right choice.

/ Newbie with a 3 mile snowplow challenge #18  
I did contract snow for about 12 years in the Laurentians north of Montreal (and know most contractors in area)
A plow equipped truck is the fastest and most economical method. 4 X 4. Diesel (man tranny) 3/4 ton with 8 ft Fisher is what I suggest.
New not even necessary, good used GMC or Ford and maybe chains for icy days.
You plow as wide as possible to start as things tend to get narrower as time goes by. The distance is not that great so I'd forget a side wing (costly), just make more passes,( like push it all in the ditch if possible), sure by spring the road might get narrow, like so what. (maybe push open a couple of passing spots).

Now if really choked up any blower equipped tractor can (on a sunny day) leisurely widen the choked spots.
Heck even an open station old 8N ford would do it.

With a blower figure 2,3,4, MPH while blowing and with truck more like 30 MPH.

A tractor for in and around cabins, that I see, maybe 25-30 HP, hydrostatic with 5-6 ft blower FEL and cabin.

Also you might even need to consider some sort of sanding arrangement for those icy events.

/ Newbie with a 3 mile snowplow challenge #19  
Which is why you plow frequently during big storms.

Look around the country - you'll see the prime choice of snow removal professionals all over the place is the truck & plow whenever the amount to be removed is measured in miles. It's cheaper & faster than a tractor. Are there tractors and/or snowblowers in use in some specialized areas? Sure, but there's nothing to indicate (yet) that this is such a case.

If he isn't able to plow frequently, then a tractor/blower may be better - but he's a "year round" caretaker that "brings guests up." That implies to me that he's in residence at the camp year round and a plow is the right choice.

So where does the snow go when it's higher than the plow and can't be shoved aside?

The skidoo and sled are the cheapest option.

/ Newbie with a 3 mile snowplow challenge #20  
Something not equipment related BUT we have had situations where if a road / driveway wasn't kept plowed so emergency vehicles couldn't get in the insurance company would cover fire or accident. Also buildings couldn't be rented or have paying guests.
Just something to think about.