Newbie with buying decision.

/ Newbie with buying decision. #1  

BobTex

OK, just found the forum and hopefully I can get some useful opinions.

I have a 2005 Farm Trac which I bought 02/06 w/ a FEL. 2WD. no cab, base tractor. I traded an old 1977 Ford Industrial 335 that had a 4 way blade on the front and was a war horse I used in cleaning this raw wooded land. It was getting quite tired through 2005 and when we suffered extensive damage from Hurricane Rita she just wasn't up to the task so I traded her in on the Farm Trac. All my neighbors have longs of varying ages and this was a product of Long Agribusiness so I felt comfortable with my purchase and the price was very good.

Well, obviously I got a tractor that suffered quality control issues. I had several failures (hydraulic seal on the axle assembly and the 3 pt hitch lift). Plus numerous other issues (power steering leak(s), starter failure, poor wiring(breakage), etc. Well, I am getting out from under this poor buy on my part. I have a buyer that I'll get about 20% equity out of the tractor. I want to get in a new 4WD and I want to make an informed decision. (Presently cleaning up from Hurricane Ike too). Thanks for listening to the vent.

Local dealer just picked up New Holland(12 miles). I think I want a Kubota (40 miles to the 3 nearest dealers). Other possibilities are Kioti which I know of no owners but have heard scant good things about them. MF dealer is 50+ miles away but is possible. JD dealers at 40 and 50 miles away. These are my "local" new dealers.

My work is mostly bushhogging/mowing (10 of my acres and on the deer lease to keep roads open), working a 1.5 acre garden (initial ground breakup), working on cleaning up the woodlot(s) on the place, some grader work on the road/drive in which is about 900', and some dirt moving with the bucket for small projects. Probably 50-75 hours a year. Budgeteer says keep the price under $25K.

How about it ... I gotta have a strong dependable tractor in the 45-50 HP (engine) range with a strong loader. My only life experience has been with Fords and the Farm Trac (grew up with a Ford 4000/gas w/ Allison tranny).

Thanks in advance!

Bob

/ Newbie with buying decision. #2  
You will hear this a thousand times. It is not about the tractor as much as it is about the dealer... Do more research on them and less on your tractor..

You know these things break, and they will. Kubota, Deer, NH, MF, Kioti, TYM... all great brands... 45 to 50 HP is putting yourself into a tractor that will make a bunch of people envious around here. You might be one of the rare and get a lemon. Again it happens. It will be about the dealer at that point and not the tractor.

As for the tractor. Get each one for a day... Dealers will usually do this. Drive it around and get a feel for how each one is. I never liked Kubota because of the treadle (forward and reverse control). That was just me as they are brilliant tractors. For whatever reason I could never felt comfortable on a Montana (too close to the wheel). TYM felt really nice, Deer was exceptional. I bought a Power Trac which lack completely in ergonomics and comfort, but is strong and super duper stable...

Good luck with the purchase and take pix.....

/ Newbie with buying decision. #3  
Bob, a question that may help others to help you with your decision. Do you need to purchase implements for your new tractor? If so, do they need to be included in the 25K? I'm sure others will have other questions, and the more info that you can give, the better the answers that we can give.

Welcome to Tractor By Net, and I hope that some of us will be able to help you spend some of your $$$$$. :D

/ Newbie with buying decision.
Bob, a question that may help others to help you with your decision. Do you need to purchase implements for your new tractor? If so, do they need to be included in the 25K? I'm sure others will have other questions, and the more info that you can give, the better the answers that we can give.

Welcome to Tractor By Net, and I hope that some of us will be able to help you spend some of your $$$$$. :D

Really don't need any implements ... I have all that I need now. I just want a good bang for the buck on a machine. I maybe got burned not really doing my homework previously. The Farm Trac broke inordinately for the type and amount of work it did.

Tractor and FE loader is all I want. I want to know good and bad points, weaknesses and strengths. I will feel the dealers out and investigate them and anyone I feel will not back me up won't get my business. I have multiple choices on all but NH and MF.

Thanks again for the responses.

/ Newbie with buying decision. #5  
OK, just found the forum and hopefully I can get some useful opinions.

I have a 2005 Farm Trac which I bought 02/06 w/ a FEL. 2WD. no cab, base tractor. I traded an old 1977 Ford Industrial 335 that had a 4 way blade on the front and was a war horse I used in cleaning this raw wooded land. It was getting quite tired through 2005 and when we suffered extensive damage from Hurricane Rita she just wasn't up to the task so I traded her in on the Farm Trac. All my neighbors have longs of varying ages and this was a product of Long Agribusiness so I felt comfortable with my purchase and the price was very good.

Well, obviously I got a tractor that suffered quality control issues. I had several failures (hydraulic seal on the axle assembly and the 3 pt hitch lift). Plus numerous other issues (power steering leak(s), starter failure, poor wiring(breakage), etc. Well, I am getting out from under this poor buy on my part. I have a buyer that I'll get about 20% equity out of the tractor. I want to get in a new 4WD and I want to make an informed decision. (Presently cleaning up from Hurricane Ike too). Thanks for listening to the vent.

Local dealer just picked up New Holland(12 miles). I think I want a Kubota (40 miles to the 3 nearest dealers). Other possibilities are Kioti which I know of no owners but have heard scant good things about them. MF dealer is 50+ miles away but is possible. JD dealers at 40 and 50 miles away. These are my "local" new dealers.

My work is mostly bushhogging/mowing (10 of my acres and on the deer lease to keep roads open), working a 1.5 acre garden (initial ground breakup), working on cleaning up the woodlot(s) on the place, some grader work on the road/drive in which is about 900', and some dirt moving with the bucket for small projects. Probably 50-75 hours a year. Budgeteer says keep the price under $25K.

How about it ... I gotta have a strong dependable tractor in the 45-50 HP (engine) range with a strong loader. My only life experience has been with Fords and the Farm Trac (grew up with a Ford 4000/gas w/ Allison tranny).

Thanks in advance!

Bob

My 2008 Mahindra 5525 (54 hp engine, 45 hp pto, 2WD, partial constant mesh tranny, power steering) with the ML250 FEL (6-ft bucket, 2960 lb lift at the pivots) might be a fit to your requirements. It's a $17K tractor with the FEL.

If you prefer 4WD and full syncromeshed shuttle shift tranny, the Mahindra 5500 (54 hp engine, 45 hp pto) with FEL would be right at your $25K limit.

Farm tractors for Ag Farmers, Hobby Farmers - Sub Compact, Compact & Full Size 2WD & 4WD Utility Tractors

There should be a Mahindra dealer in your neighborhood. Go to the Mahindra website and type in your zip code to find the nearest dealer.

/ Newbie with buying decision. #6  
Bob, the best that I can do for you is to tell you to be sure that you sit in as many different brands that you can. Look at everything from 40hp and up. Anything that has a cat 1, 3 point hitch. Some makes will give you more bang for your buck, but may not have the dealer support that you want. Usually Kubota, John Deere, New Holland, and Massey would be considered the major brands with bigger dealers, while Kioti, Mahindra, Montana,TYM and the others are usually thought to have smaller not as developed dealerships. Some of these guys will have standard things, like skid steer attach, rear remotes, draft control, etc,:) while the others will have these items as options, and will charge you accordingly for each and every one that you choose to have.:( Typically I think that you will find that the minor brands will have some if not all of the extras included, while the major brands charge for each and every one of them. Then again, as you move up the scale with more deluxe models with all the goodies, they will come std with more of the options than the more bare bones type of machine.

I, have been looking for another tractor in the 35-49hp range for a while now. Some of them just do not sit well for me, they are uncomfortable to me and I can't see myself on some of them for any amount of time and still feel comfortable when I was done for the day. Some of the controls seem to be in the oddest locations, or move in an unnatural motion for me.

Because all tractors are not the same, if I were you, I would find the tractor that suited me the best first, then find a dealer you could be satisfied with, that can get you that tractor. If you can't find what you want for the price that you can afford, then you may need to have a second choice. Best of luck to you and I'm sure that others will give you their opinions as well. Two more things, get a good comfortable seat,:D and most all of the tractors today are pretty good, reliable machines. Every one of them produces a lemon every once in awhile and that should not stop you from getting any of them.

These are just my opinions as I see things from where I am at.;)

/ Newbie with buying decision. #7  
Will you look at older tractors as well?

Where's you get a 4000 with an allison tranny?

soundguy

/ Newbie with buying decision. #8  

soundguy

I've heard many people refer to the Ford SelectOspeed as an "Allison Tranny". I'd bet that's the case. Lots of 4000's built with 'em .

/ Newbie with buying decision.

soundguy

Sorry ... I had brain flatulence with a late evening post.

It was a Sherman tranny I think. We regularly used a Marvel tree cutter with it and never had any drive train issues. Pretty good tractor considering the work we did with it. It had a very strong FEL.

/ Newbie with buying decision. #10  
Welcome to TBN. With the budget you supplied and not needing any implements just about any dealer will have what you need. The question becomes do you want a basic tractor or one with bells and whistles? They will all do the job, but the bells and whistles add to the cost. Sit down and go over the tasks that will be a day to day chore and see if the tractor you prefer will accomplish those tasks. Then see if those once in a while tasks will be covered as well. If not then you can always jump up in size or hire out the once in a while tasks.

Good luck and keep us informed, also once the decision is made, show us the pictures. We like pictures as much as spending other peoples money.:D