newbie ???

/ newbie ??? #1  

logan97

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota B7800 4/wd
I have been in the market for a used tractor for the past couple months. I was thinking of purchasing a Yanmar 1810D or 2310D with FEL; it would be my first tractor ever. I do not want to get anything too big. In my searching I have found for the same money 10K there are some NH and Kubota tractors. I am still leaning toward the Yanmar one year parts and labor warranty. The other consideration is distance, I have found some ads close to home the Yanmars (with warranty)are in TX and No. AL both UTDA members.The folks in TX have a great web site,reply to e-mails and are quite helpful with ?? . The No. AL dealer lacks these qualities (still waiting for pics and info 4 wks and counting) but their price is less. Another consideration is tires. Both Yanmar dealers have ag tires.The tractor will primarily be used for road grading,scraping, occasional hole digging,wood chopping,fire wood hauling,some log moving under 1000 lbs. winter snow removal, BRM Va, 18" on the ground right now. I believe both dealers will deliver. OK that said, being unfamiliar with tractors I would really like to make a trip to test drive some Yanmars. If I am pleased with the results, would it be advisable to order a tractor sight unseen from TX, OH or AL?

/ newbie ??? #2  
Without getting into a brand war, I'd peruse some of the many posts on this website FIRST and get a feel for how many problems a particular brand or model is showing. Then I would consider how much you're saving by NOT going with one of the major brands. (I think Kubota has or had 50% of the compact market - maybe for a reason? And yes, I have a kubota, bought new on line, sight unseen, and am very happy with result so take that into consideration)

Major brand will have better resale, more dealers, and it will be easier to get worked on, get parts etc. I know yanmar actually makes some of the engines that go in JD, not sure how they stack up on the rest of the tractor. Read the posts and make an educated decision but don't use a few bucks to sway you. A good tractor will last you 20+ years and the little bit you may pay more for up front is pennies over the life of trouble free operation.

/ newbie ??? #4  
Like you Newbie, I struggled with the buy new or used thought process and for years I'd take a shot at the used market. My rationalization or justification for purchasing used was that I had convinced myself that I couldn't afford a new tractor (let some else suffer the depreciation on new etc). I always wanted to buy, a made in America machine or should I take a shot on an lesser expensive import. John Deer had always been my benchmark in quality tractors, but I could never afford one
I had been hearing a lot about Kubota diesel engines and being in the transportation business, I knew their engines powered most of the refrigeration units on highway trailers & delivery trucks, (Carrier and Thermo King)

I bought a Kubota in 2003, (B7800 c/w L402 front end loader) and never looked back
Where I used to spend money fixing and slowly refurbishing used tractors, I now spend money on implements (6 ft blower, 6 ft bush hog, 5 ft under belly mower deck, 2 sets of tiers & wheels ag & turf, Kubota backhoe) The long & the short of it is, I've changed my perspectives. I now suggest you look at the overall cost of ownership and most importantly, the enjoyment you'll get from using your machine vs. fixing used. Once I overcame the sticker shock (and also won the battle with the war department, wifey) buying new was the most fun I've had in years

Lastly, I have had zero warranty issues on my B7800 since new, so I can easily recommend Kubota

Dan

/ newbie ???
thanks Dan I am not struggling with the new vs used issue. My decision is.
a total U.S.refurbished Yanmar with a 1 year parts and labor warranty plus delivery vs a used NH or Kubota with no warranty and no delivery.

/ newbie ??? #6  
Hello
While warranty is a consideration, dealer support should be considered.
Delivery can also be part of the deal along with some sort of warranty if you buy from a dealer.
Keep in mind a refurb means used and rebuilt and that what you are looking at is probably 20+ years old.
Do a lot of research to be sure you can live with your decision.
Good luck