/ Newbie #41  
I've never figured out why some tractors have seat switches, some don't. A few tractors require the brake pedal to be depressed. Most tractors require the clutch to be depressed, but a few do not. Some require the sub-range to be in neutral...etc. There must be certain standards to reach, but compliance can come in different forms.

Yes dickfoster, there is no way around the seat switch, it's impossible short of buying another tractor. :)

Well if I want it gone bad enough, it will be gone. I spent my life doing electronics and avionics so it's a pretty simple thing to take care of.

/ Newbie #42  
Actually dick, it's a conspiracy. We look at the customer and start adding switches. We make a judgment about how savvy they are. If you got the seat switch, you didn't do so well on the test! Ha! :D

Hey adding another switch to my electronic hellbox ain't so bad. I might find a truly useful purpose for it someday.

/ Newbie #43  
Man, I wish I had some knowledge of a Mahindra. However most of the later tractors have a Main fuse usually of 60 to 80 amps it is usually inline, wrapped up in tape and near the either the starter or alternator. Look for a lump in the wire bundle. Measure it for continuetity when you get it out of the fuseholder. It should look the same as shorting your meter probes together. A fuse is nearly a "dead short" zero ohms of resistance.

In answer to above questions. on how to measure battery voltages start by placing black negative lead directly on negative battery post and place red positive lead on positive battery post, and then move outward to measure voltage on battery clamps and ground/chassis of tractor and of course the large cable going to the starter stud.

Putting a fuse near the starter would be pretty useless as the purpose of a fuse is to protect the wiring. You want a fuse close to the source of current not at the load end. Size the wire to the load and size the fuse for the wire.

/ Newbie
Well I've been out here in this 100 degree south Texas heat for almost 3 hours now and I'm no closer to starting my tractor than a was last weekend. I've got the hood off the cowl off and I have yet to find any fuses other than a 30 amp that has a picture of a fan on it. This tractor is less than 18 months old and if this is what I have to look forward to I'll buy another John Deere and let this thing go back.

/ Newbie #45  
I think before you throw the towel in, I'd have the dealer come out and fix it. Or haul it in to him. These aren't that complicated for a good service tech that has some experience. If he does not have it fixed in under an hour, I'll be very surprised.

/ Newbie #46  
First thing first.
Meter set to read DCV. Red on battery positive terminal. Black on battery negative. What does it read? Exactly. Should be 12.6 for a full battery.
Second. Turn on lights. Do they come on? If yes, try to start. Do lights dim? Or do they go it completely like they were suddenly turned off? If you're alone then put a mirror in front so you can see them.
Let us know the results of these first checks.

/ Newbie
It would be easier for me to get ***** to turn republican than it would be to get this dealer to send help. If it was that easy I wouldn't be on here.

/ Newbie
Lights have never come on. Battery reads 12.8. I've disconnected every ground connection and cleaned it with a file. I see no corroded connections. I see no seat safety switch. I think I might have finally found the big fuse and am in the process of getting to it. When I turn the key on I get the oil light, the bat light and glow light. No horn or lights. Starter doesn't even click. I'll get back to you after I check this fuse.

/ Newbie
I was gonna post a picture but don't know how. Very very corroded hot wire going into black box that says "Diesel start" something. Gonna clean that and hope for the best cause that's the last thing I know to check. It will take me three hours to get this thing buttoned back up. I'll let you know.

/ Newbie #50  
Putting a fuse near the starter would be pretty useless as the purpose of a fuse is to protect the wiring. You want a fuse close to the source of current not at the load end. Size the wire to the load and size the fuse for the wire.

I hear what you are saying, but this fuse is not "fusing" the starter they are inline main fuses to the main feed before it hits the fuse box. Why the heck they wrap them up and try to hide them is beyond me. The starter main stud is not fused by anything. It is direct off of the battery feed. Look at the schematic to your tractor and see what you see. Of course the knowledge I am spouting is drawn from Kubota and Kioti schematics, I don't have any Mahindra prints, but I expect they are similar. Look for a 60 to 70 amp inline fuse.