/ Newbie #11  
From the MS Delta, I've been on the farm most of my life. First tractor job was driving a JD 5020 with a 30' Melrose harrow at 12 yrs old. And I have been at it ever since. After several years at the grind stone, I finally was able to turn it around and am doing quite well.

I make no claim to know everything, but since I have been at it for close to 42 years, I do have a bit of experience and hope you find my contributions worthy.

Not sure if the picture will show up, but here is the flagship. I can say I have never bought a new pickup, but I can't say that about a tractor!!! Priorities ya know!!! :laughing:

DSCN4900_zps4a4706db.jpg

Model? that isn't a 5075. Why the spread on the front wheels? Why the front weight?

/ Newbie #12  
Welcome. Please tell us more about your operation.

/ Newbie
Model? that isn't a 5075. Why the spread on the front wheels? Why the front weight?

8310R. This is a row crop tractor set on 38" rows. The weights are not only ballast for picking up large implements like a 40' hipper or planter on the three point, but with weight so it will pull better and have less slippage like with hipper or the large disk. When doing that I also fill all four rear tires with water.

Welcome. Please tell us more about your operation.

Just a small grain farm. Soybeans for now.. But I have raised rice, corn and grain sorghum.

BTW the only small tractor I have had is a 685 Case IH that I am trying to restore like new, but it is fighting me... LOL!!! The 5075E is a heck of a step up. I was looking for a 140hp tractor, but this one fell in my lap for a great price and I couldn't pass it up. I've never had a tractor with a shuttle and a loader. I have operated one before, just never enough to become proficient. I am having balls of fun playing in the orchard and working on my yard with it. And becoming better and better at operating it! :)

/ Newbie
For Creamer...

When you pick it up, you can feel the tires squat and the sink in the ground.

DSCN4970_zps9d6a3d65.jpg

DSCN5042_zps1bf6818c.jpg

DSCN5050_zpsaebde877.jpg

The reason I use water as ballast for the rear is I can remove it easily so the machine can be lighter when planting.

/ Newbie #15  
I understand now. That is a very large 3 pt implement.

38" rows - very wide - most have gone to 30". Is this for corn? Or does cotton take wider rows?

You have my curiosity up. I have never been around cotton growing.

thanks for filling us in!

/ Newbie
I understand now. That is a very large 3 pt implement.

38" rows - very wide - most have gone to 30". Is this for corn? Or does cotton take wider rows?

You have my curiosity up. I have never been around cotton growing.

thanks for filling us in!

No problem. I have played around with seeding populations and row widths for years. Going from 20" rows to 40" rows planted at same time I saw no significant difference. Plus planting on a rowed up seed bed is a benefit when it rains cats and dogs!!!! It is hard to make it here without row irrigation. Building a high seed bed is imperative. And... I don't have cotton. All grain.

And then there are the spring floods where being on a high row is another benefit. My friend calls farming, "Legalized Gambling" ... ;)

2015 kinda sucked....

stair%20step_zpsb18dyvkk.jpg

/ Newbie #17  
Looking at that photo high rows make a lot of sense!

Thanks!