Buying Advice Newby seeks help with buying a tractor.

/ Newby seeks help with buying a tractor. #21  
And no the 312 lawn mower does not count as a tractor in my book. My other one was a David Brown 880.

/ Newby seeks help with buying a tractor. #22  
I'm no expert, but I have been really impressed by the LS product. From what I can tell they are an OEM for New Holland and Mahindra.

I was recently quoted $15,800 for an LS 3033 (33HP) with FEL and 21K for the same tractor with a Backhoe.

/ Newby seeks help with buying a tractor. #24  
Thank you everyone for you're input. We have started looking at bigger tractors, Mahindra 4035HST w/ ML120 loader for $23590, Kubota L4600 (haven't received quote yet) and John Deere 3520 for $28000. Leaning towards the Mahindra for price and the tractor is way heavier.
What do you guys think?

Mahindra is a good brand--my 2008 Mahindra 5525 is a big, heavy beast with a 6-ft wide FEL (front end loader) bucket with nearly 3000 lb lift to 10.5 ft height. It's right sized for my 10 acres of flat pasture land here in the North Sacramento Valley. I'd look for a tractor in the 40-50 hp (pto = power takeoff on the rear of the tractor) with hydrostatic transmission, 4WD, power steering, 5 or 6-ft wide FEL bucket.

YOu should definitely order your tractor with dual hydraulic rear remotes so you can operate one or two hydraulic cylinders (rams) on implements that require this feature. Have your dealer weld chain hooks on FEL bucket (search here for "chain hooks" to see photos of typical arrangements).

Another nice option is the skid steer quick attach (SSQA) option for quickly changing from the bucket to other attachments for the FEL.

Rear tires should be R1 type if field work (rather than landscape maintenance) is your major interest.

Good luck.

/ Newby seeks help with buying a tractor. #25  
Maggie:

What progress toward a tractor since last post September 8th?

/ Newby seeks help with buying a tractor.
Just got off the phone with a different rep from Kubota, he now recommends the MX5100. Way bigger. Still has to email quotes.
As far as the soil, all I can say is its hard and rocky especially in the summer. I have not had it tested.
Gee, buying a tractor sure is hard. The Mahindra has a 5 year powertrain warranty which is great. The closest dealer is 1 and a half hour away and they would charge $45 a hour to drive here. John Deere is 30 minutes away and have had great service with our new Gator UTV.

Unfortunately LS amd Case dealers are 70+ miles away and no Yanmar dealer.
My issue with buying used is that we know nothing and my husband is no
mechanic...

/ Newby seeks help with buying a tractor. #28  
My issue with buying used is that we know nothing and my husband is no
mechanic...

Hopefully he agrees with you on that one! :laughing: It's when they think otherwise the problems crop up!

The MX-5100 you mentioned is a very nice machine that would probably handle the requirements for 95% of folks buying a 40-50hp tractor. It's not the fanciest, but has good specs all around.

Ok. So here are my options:
Mahindra 5035 HST $28,990
Mahindra 4035 HST $23,590
Kubota MX5100 HST (new) $32,262.38
Kubota MX5100 HST (Harvest rental with 156 hrs and 1a hydraulic remote) $31,400.56
Kubota L4400 DT (Used with 300a hours and manual) $20,750+tax