newer bx not stopping when reverse pedal released

/ newer bx not stopping when reverse pedal released #1  

lamanated

Silver Member
Tractor
BX2360 JD 425 jd 455
wondering what to look at on a bx that wont stop when you let up on the reverse pedal, forward will stop within the 9 ft per the manual

/ newer bx not stopping when reverse pedal released #2  
Grease the linkage and check it for freedom of movement? That might be step one.

/ newer bx not stopping when reverse pedal released #4  
Some of what I'm about to say is sheer speculation. With that caveat, the 50 series BXs stopped so abruptly that Kubota rushed the 60 series out to prevent any tarnishing of the reputation of the line. The also canned the plastic hood and body fenders.

In returning to a "rolling stop", they may have actually over compensated a wee bit. (That's the sheer speculation part). I was totally used to this run on aspect with my first BX, an 1860. It's all I knew and I took it all in stride and as normal. Then, I got a B2320. Wowser, the somewhat abrupt stopping I had heard about with the 50 series BX was eerily familiar as I adjusted to life with the B2320. It was brutally quick, in comparison to my old BX1860. I adjusted. Got used to that aspect of its' operation as "normal".

Then, last winter, upon selling the B, I returned to a BX with a 2360. The first day, I just about rolled through the back of the garage. :laughing:

OH YES!!! I reminded myself. These BX's do this. First thing I did was a complete service on the new-to-me BX and I greased the zerk under the rubber floor mat tab and sprayed some lube on the linkage down below. It took me all of a day of snowing plowing to adjust back to the old, new normal.

/ newer bx not stopping when reverse pedal released
thanks, I grease it every 20 hrs, it only has 150 on it,I;ll check the under neath out as well

/ newer bx not stopping when reverse pedal released #6  
I had a constant problem with my BX2350 not going to neutral when the pedal was released (normally letting off of forward). Turns out there is an adjustment lever on the outside of the transaxle that I needed to adjust. Get your hands on a WSM and it explains the procedure which took about a half hour including removing one or both rear tires. Note that the adjustment I made was not to the return spring - BTDT.

/ newer bx not stopping when reverse pedal released #7  
I have the same problem that lamanated is having and I have about 170 hours on mine and if mine doesn't stop when I let off of the reverse pedal I just use the brake on the left side to stop it.

/ newer bx not stopping when reverse pedal released #8  
I didn't know I had a problem. :confused3: So for quite a while I was in the habit of, when stopping the tractor, centering up the pedal with my foot. It wasn't always necessary but had become a habit. I had always greased the tractor fairly regular and nothing really changed. But again I didn't realize I had a problem. I did notice after several years having to use more energy to center that pedal. So I greased again but this time I grabbed a hold of the pedal and worked it back and forth vigorously and greased twice. :thumbsup: Guess what. :laughing: It now works as it's supposed to.

Years ago I worked around a large conveyor system and saw the maintenance people grease a bearing on a regular basis. But one day the bearing broke down. When they opened it up it was all rusted and dry on one side. Seems the grease went in at the fitting and flowed real nice to one side but taking the path of least resistance never flowed to the other side. That's what made me think to give the pedal a real workout. :2cents:

/ newer bx not stopping when reverse pedal released #9  
I'm not familiar with your particular unit, but I think I'm gathering that its a hydrostatic? I have a kubota L3301 hydro with a foot rocker pedal, bought it brand new this summer. In the summer (Texas, its very hot), everything worked perfectly. But we've had a few cold spells that dropped us into the 20's and 30's. First thing I noticed was that the pedal stuck in forward or reverse. Nothing is mechanically binding, and when it warmed back up it went back to functioning perfectly. So it must be a fluid viscosity issue inside the transmission. I'm not too worried about mine, its not cold near often enough to warrant throwing money at it. It seems I might have read something a while back about different viscosities for different climates.

Not sure what your climate is, I just figured I would throw that out there. If it matches your symptoms it might be something to consider if you don't find linkage problems

EDIT:
By sticking in forward or reverse, I should clarify that it doesn't just stick hard in full forward or reverse motion. What I mean is it is very sluggish to return to center, and doesn't always make it all the way to center. It may "stick" to where its barely creeping. All that is necessary on my setup is to slightly push the pedal in the opposite direction to center it up. And it clears up once the tranny is warmed up.

Which brings up another thought. You might check your manual if it seems to be temp related. If I remember correctly, my manual has different warm up times for different temperatures. I think for very cold conditions, its as much as 10 or 15 minutes before using it hard

/ newer bx not stopping when reverse pedal released #10  
I'm not familiar with your particular unit, but I think I'm gathering that its a hydrostatic? I have a kubota L3301 hydro with a foot rocker pedal, bought it brand new this summer. In the summer (Texas, its very hot), everything worked perfectly. But we've had a few cold spells that dropped us into the 20's and 30's. First thing I noticed was that the pedal stuck in forward or reverse. Nothing is mechanically binding, and when it warmed back up it went back to functioning perfectly. So it must be a fluid viscosity issue inside the transmission. I'm not too worried about mine, its not cold near often enough to warrant throwing money at it. It seems I might have read something a while back about different viscosities for different climates.

Not sure what your climate is, I just figured I would throw that out there. If it matches your symptoms it might be something to consider if you don't find linkage problems

EDIT:
By sticking in forward or reverse, I should clarify that it doesn't just stick hard in full forward or reverse motion. What I mean is it is very sluggish to return to center, and doesn't always make it all the way to center. It may "stick" to where its barely creeping. All that is necessary on my setup is to slightly push the pedal in the opposite direction to center it up. And it clears up once the tranny is warmed up.

Which brings up another thought. You might check your manual if it seems to be temp related. If I remember correctly, my manual has different warm up times for different temperatures. I think for very cold conditions, its as much as 10 or 15 minutes before using it hard

Try greasing the treadle. There is a fitting right at the pivot/axle. I'd bet that either the grease in there is thin/dry, or maybe it's just not a good grease at low temps. It's supposed to be greased every 50 hrs, but I do it more like every 20 since it gets a lot of use.

I have never had the pedal stick on my L3200 (same as your 3301 except for Tier 4 and minor tweaks). I've used the tractor in weather from 10F to 100F.