Newer PTO Driveline shafts

/ Newer PTO Driveline shafts #1  

jjrennie

I just bought a used Bush Hog. I am trying to attach the pto driveline shaft to the tractor. Older pto shafts had a push pin. This one has a black rubber ring around it. How does this thing work?
Thanks.

/ Newer PTO Driveline shafts #2  
Do you have a picture?

If the shaft doesn't have a push pin then the collar around the end probably pulls back to allow you to slide the shaft on. The collar will be spring loaded.

Good Luck,
Kevin

/ Newer PTO Driveline shafts #3  
The collar on the PTO can be confusing. There's a plastic part of the collar that can be pulled one direction, and a metal part that can be pulled the other direction. The plastic part doesn't release the mechanism, but it feels like it does. I also can't remember which direction you have to pull/push without having it in front of me. So if you've been pushing, try pulling, and vice versa.

/ Newer PTO Driveline shafts #4  
The collar works like a quick disconnect. You pull it towards the other end of the shaft to open little slots that ball bearings fall into. That allows the shaft to be withdrawn from the PTO shaft. The balls lock into the groove that the pin type used to lock onto.

/ Newer PTO Driveline shafts #5  
My 3 pt finishing mower PTO shaft has a collar that you have to rotate clockwise to connect/disconnect. I fought with it for a while before I figured it out. It looked like it should be a pull back to release. The flail mower, same brand, has a pull back to release ring on it.:rolleyes: