Newly bought Massey 135 1965, help.

/ Newly bought Massey 135 1965, help. #1  

johnking

Silver Member
Tractor
1965 Massey 135
I just bought a 1965(guy sad it was a 1967) Massey 135 gas tractor with bush hog. I have searched and am having trouble finding what I need. My plans are to use this tractor for mowing only until winter and then start to restore it. Serial SGM641005290 what year is this tractor? I checked the chart and it looks to be a 1965 but the owner said 1967. How do I determine what engine this is? I am going to order manuals today and oil/filter so I do not want to get the wrong ones. I am getting a lot out of this forum and appreciate the help Masswv thread is great . 155.jpg151.jpg158.jpg162.jpg164.jpg

Last edited:
   / Newly bought Massey 135 1965, help. #2  
Judging by the serial number (SGM641005290), it's a 1965 model with a standard chassis, gasoline engine, and dual clutch. The guy you bought it from might have thought it was a 1967 model but he was wrong.

From your pictures, I can see that it's a deluxe model with a Continental Z-145 gasoline engine. You can confirm this by locating the engine identification tag which is located to the upper right of the distributor and to the upper left of the coil. The following image shows what your engine identification tag should look like, it's possible that it's been painted over so you may have to carefully remove the paint to see it.

35je3jt.jpg

Last edited:
   / Newly bought Massey 135 1965, help. #3  
Nice old tractor. Mine is a 1964 MF135 diesel deluxe with multipower.
Be sure to check the fuel system. Clean the bowl and for added protection I'd install an inline fuel filter. The fuel tank in my 135 needed a thorough cleaning after I got it home.

/ Newly bought Massey 135 1965, help. #4  
I just bought a 1965(guy sad it was a 1967) Massey 135 gas tractor with bush hog. I have searched and am having trouble finding what I need. My plans are to use this tractor for mowing only until winter and then start to restore it. Serial SGM641005290 what year is this tractor? I checked the chart and it looks to be a 1965 but the owner said 1967. How do I determine what engine this is? I am going to order manuals today and oil/filter so I do not want to get the wrong ones. I am getting a lot out of this forum and appreciate the help Masswv thread is great .View attachment 275517View attachment 275516View attachment 275518View attachment 275519View attachment 275520
If you don't mind me asking. What are you needing/looking for? -robert

/ Newly bought Massey 135 1965, help. #5  
One man's artistic freedom, wonder what the 3 of hearts represented. Nice find, looks like a little TLC and basic maintenance and you'll be tractoring in no time. Congrats. :)

/ Newly bought Massey 135 1965, help.
Robert-clarify your question, are you referring to the picture? My oil pressure gauge is stuck at about half. Should I not run it untill I have replaced the gauge? It has oil and sounds good but I am limited on my mechanical knowledge but I am wanting to learn and this tractor seems to be a pretty straight forward teacher. I have ordered all manuals(thanks MasseyWV) and am waiting on those to determine what to do after changing the oil, cleaning the glass bowl and adding an inline gas filter.

/ Newly bought Massey 135 1965, help. #7  
My oil pressure gauge is stuck at about half. Should I not run it untill I have replaced the gauge? It has oil and sounds good but I am limited on my mechanical knowledge but I am wanting to learn and this tractor seems to be a pretty straight forward teacher. I have ordered all manuals(thanks MasseyWV) and am waiting on those to determine what to do after changing the oil, cleaning the glass bowl and adding an inline gas filter.

You'll probably be fine running it with the existing oil pressure gauge for now, but you should replace it as soon as possible. For repair order 528415M91 oil pressure gauge, and 836975M91 lighting kit. The lighting kit is necessary because Massey 135's prior to 1967 (not sure about exact date) used electroluminescent lighting (no light bulbs) for the gauges. Aftermarket gauges are also available for less money, and can usually be found by searching for the part numbers such as the ones listed above.

For more information about electroluminescent lighting, see my TBN post (link below) about in my Massey 135 restoration thread.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...my-1966-massey-135-tractor-7.html#post2845681

Here's a picture of my tractor's electroilluminescent tachometer. The camera I was using had difficulty focusing on it so the picture doesn't do it justice. It looks really cool.

2vuxyzm.jpg

The electroluminescent gauges are powered by a module that takes 12 volts DC and converts it to 200 volts AC at 250 cycles per second. Here is a picture of the module.

2vlwe90.jpg

/ Newly bought Massey 135 1965, help. #8  
Robert-clarify your question, are you referring to the picture? My oil pressure gauge is stuck at about half. Should I not run it untill I have replaced the gauge? It has oil and sounds good but I am limited on my mechanical knowledge but I am wanting to learn and this tractor seems to be a pretty straight forward teacher. I have ordered all manuals(thanks MasseyWV) and am waiting on those to determine what to do after changing the oil, cleaning the glass bowl and adding an inline gas filter.
John if the tractor was running before you purchased it, more than likely the oil pressure is adequate. Those gauges should clean up by removing them and carefully using some bio friendly paint remover on then just long enough to soften and remove. Rinse carefully any residue. You may be able to replace the oil gauge with a aftermarket copy if it's bad. The trim around the glass should be black. Check to see if your oil pressure line is not crimped anywhere. The block connection on a continental is located on the right side just to the left of the exhaust manifold under the heat shield. My replacement oil gauge used the original brass fitting which mates to the brass flared nut.

You will have to burp the OP line to get the air out. Simply loosen the nut at the gauge till oil leaks out with the engine running and retighten.

/ Newly bought Massey 135 1965, help. #9  

Get yourself an oil pressure gauge with a hose and the correct fitting.

Disconnect the line to the existing gauge at the block and hook up the other gauge. Now you're protected in case the oil pump is bad and you have zero oil pressure when you start the engine for the first time. If you get decent oil pressure, reconnect the old gauge to see if you get the same pressure reading. If not, clean the metal tube to the gauge and recheck to eliminate contamination in that line as the problem. If the old gauge still is reading wrong, replace it.