Mowing Next project, brush hogging (I think)?

/ Next project, brush hogging (I think)? #21  
I assume when you are talking brambles and briars you're talking thorns. If so either have R4's or plenty of fix-a-flat or whatever tire repair method you prefer.

/ Next project, brush hogging (I think)? #22  
Every single time I ask a question, you guys are AWESOME!!!

I know that under the lines people have dumped :( The big power-line machines went through last year and we thought it was going to be a good place to hack. I saw tires with rims, busted furniture, and other stuff that they had mowed over, I have not seen what they mow with but I guess it is really tough. So I was not planning on doing more than two tractor widths (about 12 feet) however I may just try it.

Next question, once I get the brush from the other side what is the best way to get it off the fence? I am guessing there will be 6 inches to a foot that the tractor can not get to, that is the fence line.

Thanks again!

If you don't need the area for crop production it might be best to just leave that brush. I think it looks nicer than a fence and it is a great barrier to the people who are dumping trash on the powerline right of way. The critters will thank you.

I replaced my straight, line-of-sight driveway a couple of years ago with one that curves through the trees. I would love to have that briar patch to fill in the old driveway.

To encourage native growth, I used the cultivator to rip up the old driveway and gouged rows in the formerly grassed area on the far side of the old driveway. I transplanted several firs and all sorts of native wild brush. Wild roses and other gnarly plants are moving in on their own. It is already grown up enough that you can't tell the old driveway was there.

I've attached a few photos that show how the bush is reclaiming itself, plus one of a couple of rainbows. One photo is from the public road looking up the old driveway and the others looking down to the road. It is hard to believe a lot of this looked like the other pasture less than two years ago.

In addition to improved privacy it cut down on mowing work. I removed 10-15% of the mowed area but it was irregular and a headache to mow. It's cut the mowing time by 2/3's.

I like the bush but we're all different. My wife would like the whole place like an English garden but realises we're getting too old to do the work.:)

Whatever you decide, good luck with your project.

Cheers :thumbsup:

Attachments

• MainRdToShed.JPG
    MainRdToShed.JPG
    563.9 KB · Views: 192
  • DrvWay_1.JPG
    DrvWay_1.JPG
    484.9 KB · Views: 183
  • DrvWay_2.JPG
    DrvWay_2.JPG
    352.2 KB · Views: 169
  • DrvWay_3.JPG
    DrvWay_3.JPG
    275.5 KB · Views: 157
   / Next project, brush hogging (I think)?
Kebo- That is just one of our fence lines.
Baby Grand- I was going to say the same thing... do I look like Huck Finn? Unfortunately I can't walk the brush. It is really dense so to the other guys that are suggesting herbicides I am unable to get it applied very far in.
Acme-Good thought on the lynch pins, how do I wire them in?
FWJ- I love your answer, I probably will wait :( I am allergic to those stingy things... maybe November. But I now need a new summer field project, suggestions?
RPW- These are like blackberry brambles, wild rose and the like... little thorns. Am I really going to need that? The tread on the tires is 4 to 5 times thicker than the longest thorns. Just checking, I want to be sure your not joking.
KCO- I agree with you and was only going to do enough to uncover the really nice fence (that is probably half down) that is underneth. I now do field work and maintence on the farm and the owner asked if the brambles were bad for the fence (the answer is yes), the barn manager only does the basics so I started out doing the field maintence in my horses two fields (that grass that is mowed in the first two photos is all my work). I have about a half a month until I get into nutient application and then over seeding in the fall, so I am looking for things to do.

So I am going to pocket this information until it get cold and ask you all, "Suggestions on another project"?

Thanks!:thumbsup:

/ Next project, brush hogging (I think)? #24  
Use some baling wire or whatever you have on hand and go around the circle part of the pin to either the part the pin goes through or back around the shaft part of the linch pin. What you want is so that the circle part of the linch pin is not able to flip up. Same goes for any pins with cotter pins. Rotate so cotter is on top or most protected area. Tried to do a little graphic for you.

Attachments

• pin.png
    pin.png
    3.1 KB · Views: 115
   / Next project, brush hogging (I think)? #25  
Spray it first Remedy wont hurt your grass and with it dead will be alot easier to shred.

/ Next project, brush hogging (I think)? #26  
No, no joke. I really depends on your tires. I've had mesquite thorns go right through my R1's and front 3 rib tires. I know mesquite thorns are longer but..... If you don't have your tires filled with liquid you could put "Slime" or other puncture preventor in. Not to start another no/yes firestorm about slime or other products. I haven't needed to fill my tires for ballast yet and when I get serious about tilling my land I will as I've already gotten a flat from thorns and have plugged it but it still leaks slowly.

/ Next project, brush hogging (I think)? #27  
did alittle brush hogging today[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• shredding1.JPG
    shredding1.JPG
    812 KB · Views: 229
  • shredding3.JPG
    shredding3.JPG
    682 KB · Views: 215
   / Next project, brush hogging (I think)? #28  
I have good luck keeping my pins from getting knocked off by wrapping them with good black electrical tape. Cheap and easy.

/ Next project, brush hogging (I think)? #29  
I have good luck keeping my pins from getting knocked off by wrapping them with good black electrical tape. Cheap and easy.
I like cheap & easy!

/ Next project, brush hogging (I think)? #30  
In an area like that I like to mow in reverse.. slowly of course. The underside of today's tractors are cluttered with wires and linkages that really need to be stronger than they are. Brambles and sticks like to rip at stuff like that. Once they're mowed flat they can't reach high enough.

If it were me, I'd mow about 6-10 feet into the thicket (or as far as I could see the ground from the seat), then get off and see what's on the ground for the next little bit. You don't have a great big area to mow, so it's not so bad.

Going through it in forward gear with the bucket down will work, no question. You'll probably do it without damage too. It's the "probably" part that has me suggesting "R" for reverse.

Sean