NH 268 hayliner. time for knotter rebuilds. Anyone doing exchanges/core? kits?

/ NH 268 hayliner. time for knotter rebuilds. Anyone doing exchanges/core? kits? #1  

countryguy1225

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota M6060 & L2550GST(4wd), W/ Backhoe attch. Mitsubhish MT160D (4wd) :- )
After about 6 years of ownership, the 1968 NH 268 is ready for needed knotter maintenance and rebuild over Winter. Left particularly, but think I'll do both just to be done. I usually just hit up messicks and do everything myself but thought I would ask here if anyone knows of someplace that you can do an exchange/core with for a fair price? Or just send it in? Needs new bill hook rollers, knife blades, the Brass. Thinking of just putting in Poly bill hooks over the twine ones we have on it. Tired of twine. I guess I just talked my self into doing it myself as it looks easy on paper. pfffft.. But I'll ask anyway.
It just might be worth it to me.

/ NH 268 hayliner. time for knotter rebuilds. Anyone doing exchanges/core? kits? #2  
When u say rebuild what are u thinking needs replacement? Like is everything all original still from 40 years ago??

/ NH 268 hayliner. time for knotter rebuilds. Anyone doing exchanges/core? kits? #3  
Billhooks designed for poly twine will tie sisal just fine. That choice is a no-brainer. Biggest thing is to evaluate your knotter frames. If they aren’t worn out they are well worth rebuilding.

/ NH 268 hayliner. time for knotter rebuilds. Anyone doing exchanges/core? kits? #4  
Jeff, just have Christa do it! New billhooks aren't that expensive (dealer or ebay). New wiper arm cutt-off blades are a good investment and sharpening the plunger knives.

Hey, I found you an elevator...

/ NH 268 hayliner. time for knotter rebuilds. Anyone doing exchanges/core? kits?
Yeah... I'll end up doing it. Just thought I would ask... I've looked a few times but only seem to find parts sources. Anyway, I will put on the new billhooks and blades, and the brass rollers (forget the name)... and do the PM work. They are in good shape less the noted items. I'm trying to get a few rooms on the 'inside' of the house for a change -vs- barns and gear and tear-downs every winter.

Hey.. I'll have the M6060 now to pull the stackliner too! Looking forward to that finally. You saw my Pic I sent ya I'm sure. Hope you and T are doing great and the labs are all good.

-Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!
J&C

PS- we could just hustle the 3 ponies over to your place for a few seasons. We'll head off to those Vaca's we can never take. heck, you would really love them 24x7 right!

Jeff, just have Christa do it! New billhooks aren't that expensive (dealer or ebay). New wiper arm cutt-off blades are a good investment and sharpening the plunger knives.

Hey, I found you an elevator...

/ NH 268 hayliner. time for knotter rebuilds. Anyone doing exchanges/core? kits?
Ok, I bought the parts I needed. I learned quite a bit thus far too. The knotter parts were purchased from Messicks... Just cause they are close, shipping is light, and they always help me when I call them. Getting the entire shaft w/ both knotters out was pretty easy actually. I just ordered 2 of the bill hook pinions. The flat is really worn on one side. (which is when they say to replace from some other sites I found) (pic below) And the awesome link w/ great color photos for some rebuild efforts I found: Mechanics Corner: Help your baler 奏ie the knot - Progressive Forage

when it comes to the knife arm roller (brass roller at end of knife arm). here is a great link on replacing those: (which I am).
New Holland knotter rebuild questions - Yesterday's Tractors

Will post back a bit more later as I get everthing back together and play alignment and tweak for probably a month.....
.. Tx CG.

0217PF-seckinger-1.jpg.

Last edited:
   / NH 268 hayliner. time for knotter rebuilds. Anyone doing exchanges/core? kits? #7  
Two under appreciated adjustments. Knotter stack end play and the knotter home position. Also check needle adjustment THEN twine finger adjustment after you reinstall the knotter stack.

Check... yep Thankt. The knotter stack end play was a big one when I first got it. Will get into those others you note. I should note that I am following the guide called FORD-NH BALER KNOTTER SERVICE MANUAL. $15 all over ebay. Get one w/ good quality pics. I did not... and just bought another. ;-( live and learn.

And why I pulled basically... Not much 'round' left. (pic) 1 of the knife arms was threaded for the brass roller. WHOOT. Here is a pic of the other side's bill hook roller and knife arm roller... I get to grind off the round-over (?) to get it off and will either zap on a washer (as noted in post before link).. or D&T a hole for screw and washer.... we'll see. I want to drill and tap it... (want and do-effectively... two separated things :rolleyes:).

brasswear-268knotter spoon and knife roller.jpg

Last edited:
   / NH 268 hayliner. time for knotter rebuilds. Anyone doing exchanges/core? kits? #9  
Not for nuthin but I’d pitch that billhook and the other one if it looks like that. I know they have gotten stupid expensive but they are the heart of the knotter. More so if you plan on using plastic twine, those are sisal hooks if that one is fully closed. Knife arms benefit greatly from a knife kit and new roller. That’s a real money saver.

You want the billhook made for plastic twine but with the old school brass roller for your frames with non-replaceable billhook cams.

yeah. it's a 2 knotter rebuild. To summarize a bit.. L Knotter Assy is original and all of her 40 years old. R knotter assy is a replace from who knows when and a bit newer. Both sides on billhook and brass roller on knife arm are just pitiful. knotter pinion gear has the worn side like the pic a few above.
New parts : Putting in new bill hooks, bill hook pinion gear, brass knife roller, knotter hook, the spring, New Knifes, and a few new nuts, washers, etc.

... and for those that'll get here and need to do the same brass roller grind-down mod: Pics below also. I just did the washer weld on for the L knotters knife arm brass roller. Started by Grinding off the rounded pean end, pried off the washer off the shoulder (and resused it actually to ensure the spacing). Slid on Brass roller, put pried off washer back on shoulder, grabbed a grade- 8, 5/16 washer. Used a hose clamp to hold the washer to the assy for a tac-weld. removed clamp, finish up getting it to stick from the center of the washer. ugly but it holds. Smacked it hard w/ a hammer for shock test.. it's on.

IMG-2365.JPGIMG-2364.JPG

Last edited: