NH 273 baler misties one side of some bales

/ NH 273 baler misties one side of some bales
I know the dust really blow on those knotters but, I'd get me a air tank and blow 'em off once in a while. bjr
I try to blow them off with the leaf blower at least every night, that picture was after a few hundred bales.

Aaron Z

/ NH 273 baler misties one side of some bales #12  
That is the spring I circled in orange? There was one on each knotter and the one circled in orange broke (the "hook" snapped off of the end of the spring) and I replaced it a few hundred bales later when I stumbled across another one in the toolbox.

Aaron Z

That's the one.

/ NH 273 baler misties one side of some bales #13  
Had a similar problem with my 271. I found that the internal of the bill hook had a sharp edge to it. Filed it down so it was a little rounded and it worked like a champ. The manual shows how it should look. Once you get these NH balers tuned in they just keep kicking them out like a champ.
Ah......a baler.....the love hate relationship with every farmer and rancher.....
RickB is the man on these puppies.

Glenn.

/ NH 273 baler misties one side of some bales #14  
A square baler is still my favorite piece of equipment. When someone else is baling I'll just walk along side the baler to watch it work sometimes. Watching them do their thing, making and tying and spitting out bale after bale, even the older ones - 15, 20, 30 even 40+ years old - is just really satisfying. They're made to last until the last critical component is just plain are worn away. That's the way all equipment used to be made, not like so much cheap crap today. Does my heart good to just watch them work...

/ NH 273 baler misties one side of some bales #15  
Hey Guy's, I had the same problem yesterday with my 273 baler too! After close examination, i noticed that the cutting blades were really worn down to almost nothing. And isn't it nice that they can't be replaced?! There riveted on. The good thing is, i have had two new knotter assemblies in my shop for the last 4 years just for when this event happened. Bad thing is, i don't have a manual that shows how to remove the old ones and install the new ones. Anyone have a shop manual that shows how to do this? I'm hoping it isn't a major undertaking. I'm mechanically inclined to a point, but not having done this to a baler before i could sure use some help! If you have a smart phone and could take photo's of the pages or copy them and e-mail them to me it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

/ NH 273 baler misties one side of some bales
I will try to remember to see if its in our manual when I get home.

Aaron Z

/ NH 273 baler misties one side of some bales #17  
Hey Guy's, I had the same problem yesterday with my 273 baler too! After close examination, i noticed that the cutting blades were really worn down to almost nothing. And isn't it nice that they can't be replaced?! There riveted on. The good thing is, i have had two new knotter assemblies in my shop for the last 4 years just for when this event happened. Bad thing is, i don't have a manual that shows how to remove the old ones and install the new ones. Anyone have a shop manual that shows how to do this? I'm hoping it isn't a major undertaking. I'm mechanically inclined to a point, but not having done this to a baler before i could sure use some help! If you have a smart phone and could take photo's of the pages or copy them and e-mail them to me it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

There is no shop manual for a 273, just the operator's manual which is readily available for probably less than $25. Yes, you can change the twine knives on the knife arms if you know how to grind off rivets and install nuts & bolts.

/ NH 273 baler misties one side of some bales #18  
Ugh! I have the operators & parts manuals, how are we suppose to work on these balers without shop manuals?

/ NH 273 baler misties one side of some bales #20  
Ugh! I have the operators & parts manuals, how are we suppose to work on these balers without shop manuals?

The baler op manual has all the knotter troubleshooting needed. The rest of it is just nuts & bolts, bearings & shafts; sprockets & chains. These machines & books were made when guys had to know how to fix stuff without being led around by the hand.