NH 310 Square Baler -- HELP !! PLEASE !!

/ NH 310 Square Baler -- HELP !! PLEASE !! #1  

Dave5264

Gold Member
Tractor
08 Montana C5264, 2011 McCormick CX100 XS
Well my first atttempt to run the baler has met with a bit of a disaster, I really need help here.

Decided to run it and feed it some old hay, Just to ensure the knotters etc were working.

First bale cam out with no twine, second bale emerging was looking ok as it emerged. Once it got the the knotting cycle, BANG !!, the knotter shearbot and the flywheel shear bots broke.

Needle latch was triggered and the crank hit it, i think (safety feature to prtect the needles).

One knotter was bunged up with 3 lines of twine
Other knotter was empty

I have cleared them, however there are several issues as far as I can tell

1) One of the bill hooks is facing rearward and is open

2) the other bill hook is facing the left side and is closed

3) The needles are Up (but not fully) and I cant move them at all by pulling on the yoke

4)Cant figure out how to cycle the knotters, the knotter clutch etc just doesnt move by hand.

5)i put new shear bots in but Im guessing the whole thing is out of time now.

I have a manual, but like may of them it says things like "trip the knottters manually" but doesnt say how. or it says 'align the clutch pawl on the knotter with the knotter stop'...how, i can budge it.

6)If i rotate the baler by hand the crank rod hits the latch, it will shear the bolts again...thre has to be an easy way to re time this thing

what do I do ?

please help.

/ NH 310 Square Baler -- HELP !! PLEASE !! #2  
Gotta clean everything out first (string, hay) Can you find a manual online that will show you how to set the timing? Once set, Run it through by hand before turning on the tractor PTO to make sure it is right.. Ken Sweet

/ NH 310 Square Baler -- HELP !! PLEASE !! #3  
I have a feeling that there are a few broken or bent parts in your knotter right now. The billhooks should be closed and both facing the same direction. What may have happened is that the wipers failed to scrape off the knots on the one side and they built up on the tongue. When the roller on the billhook tongue engaged the wiper arm to open it, it couldn't because it was wrapped with knots. This made the wiper arm mad and bent it or broke some teeth off the intermediate gear. That's why the one billhook is facing the wrong way. Its now disconnected from the gear timing.

/ NH 310 Square Baler -- HELP !! PLEASE !! #4  
It probably would help to supply some background and some pictures. Do you know whether this piece has baled recently? Get it from an auction? Has it sat outside for a few years (snow and rain etc.) uncovered? Was it a 'spare' that's now missing some parts?

I'd start by removing all hay and twine. Use a leaf blower to clean out the chaff, mud, rust and dead animals from the throat, bale chamber and chute area. You really just want to see if you can get the plunger drive back in action. All by hand , I mean. Then you will need to compare the left and right side knotter frames to see what's out of place. Then put it back in place (home position), even if you have to disconnect chain, links, or brakes. There are quite a few springs in there which regulate latches, cam followers, plunger stops, twine tension and tucker finger return. Can't run it with even ONE missing.

You need to then be in position to trip the knotter drive by rolling the measuring wheel along until the drive cam engages. Then roll the flywheel very slowly in small increments (a few degrees at a time) until you can observe the intermediate gears start to rotate, the twine disks turn, the billhooks rotate, the tucker fingers swing out, the billhook tongues open and close, and the wiper arms and cutoff knives draw by the billhook feet. You can't do this with twine loaded because the bales will have no length.

Just start the repair process one task at a time and VERY SLOWLY.

Read the manual one word at a time until you have it memorized. Its not a novel, but a detective mystery. Miss one thought and you are gonna be in a heap of hurt.

/ NH 310 Square Baler -- HELP !! PLEASE !! #5  
Well my first atttempt to run the baler has met with a bit of a disaster, I really need help here.

Decided to run it and feed it some old hay, Just to ensure the knotters etc were working.

First bale cam out with no twine, second bale emerging was looking ok as it emerged. Once it got the the knotting cycle, BANG !!, the knotter shearbot and the flywheel shear bots broke.

Needle latch was triggered and the crank hit it, i think (safety feature to prtect the needles).

One knotter was bunged up with 3 lines of twine
Other knotter was empty

I have cleared them, however there are several issues as far as I can tell

1) One of the bill hooks is facing rearward and is open

2) the other bill hook is facing the left side and is closed

3) The needles are Up (but not fully) and I cant move them at all by pulling on the yoke

4)Cant figure out how to cycle the knotters, the knotter clutch etc just doesnt move by hand.

5)i put new shear bots in but Im guessing the whole thing is out of time now.

I have a manual, but like may of them it says things like "trip the knottters manually" but doesnt say how. or it says 'align the clutch pawl on the knotter with the knotter stop'...how, i can budge it.

6)If i rotate the baler by hand the crank rod hits the latch, it will shear the bolts again...thre has to be an easy way to re time this thing

what do I do ?

please help.

1. Determine why the billhooks are not pointing in the same direction. One of them has a broken drive pin that fastens the billhook to its pinion, or one of the billhook pinions is out of time with its cam gear. If a billhook pinion is out of time with the cam gear, excess knotter stack endplay is the usual culprit. Reverse the listed procedure for reducing knotter stack endplay so as to be able to retime the billhook and pinion. Reposition the billhook pinion, and adjust the knotter stack endplay to spec.

2. Rotate the knotter shaft until the needles and knotters are in the home position. Set the trip arm all the way down and knotter clutch pawl in the disengaged position. Then, and only then, check the flywheel to knotter timing.

Post back when you get that far.

/ NH 310 Square Baler -- HELP !! PLEASE !!
Did some more looking....one of the billhook pinions is out of time with its cam gear, it was bound up on the cam gear. I unbolted that side and managed to swing it up, its free now but still out of time.

My operators manual doesn't list any procedure for end play adjustment that i can find...is there an online reference? does this involve full disassembly of the knotter mechanism ?

thanks Guys

Background. the Baler came form a Guy down the road, was used last summer, was kept in a drive shed.

thanks again for the advice

/ NH 310 Square Baler -- HELP !! PLEASE !! #7  
Did some more looking....one of the billhook pinions is out of time with its cam gear, it was bound up on the cam gear. I unbolted that side and managed to swing it up, its free now but still out of time.

My operators manual doesn't list any procedure for end play adjustment that i can find...is there an online reference? does this involve full disassembly of the knotter mechanism ?

thanks Guys

Background. the Baler came form a Guy down the road, was used last summer, was kept in a drive shed.

thanks again for the advice

I would give the "Guy down the road" a call. He may have been thru this before. Ken Sweet

/ NH 310 Square Baler -- HELP !! PLEASE !! #8  
My operators manual doesn't list any procedure for end play adjustment that i can find

If you have a New Holland operator's manual, knotter stack endplay is in there.
If you are going to be responsible for your baler's operation, you need to develop the patience and ability to find and understand the info in the manual. Read it again.

The other option is to rely on others to do the repairs.

/ NH 310 Square Baler -- HELP !! PLEASE !! #9  
All sound advice. You might as well figure this out and reread the manual until it makes sense. Pictures and or video of the baler would help greatly.

If it makes you feel any better I went thru the same time of ordeal and got tons of help from this sight. And I can almost This is why everyone hear says reread and fully understand the manual.

By the way your 310 what year where they made and what kind of hp requirement does it need? Love too see a pic of it.

/ NH 310 Square Baler -- HELP !! PLEASE !!
well, found the paragraph on end play. Followed the instructions, I added a shim to try to create some added play to move the bill hook pinion back, however in my zeal to create more play I added a washer/shim and tightened the bolt, but it sheared off. 15 min later after a Drill and thread extractr, the broken bolt has been removed. I then used a brass punch and moved the cam back far enough to move the pinion to the correct location....small success.

I was able to remove the end play thats required as I put it back together.

now, in my step by step validation of things, I find the Knife arm is bent (like zzvyb6 inticated) . It contacts the toe of the bill hook and doesnt sweep/wipe under it. It also doesnt have the required clearance once its fully swept thru its cycle (3/8 - 1/2 "). Operators manual says I can use a hammer or a pry bar to bend it to fit....anyone know just how much "pry" this will take ? I dont want to snap it off.. thanks

knotters
th_baler002.jpg

correct pinion position on left knotter
th_baler004.jpg

incorrect pinion position on right knotter
th_baler003.jpg

the end play i can create
th_baler005.jpg

the Baler
th_baler001.jpg

Last edited: