Mowing NH 489 Haybine - tongue removal and replace

/ NH 489 Haybine - tongue removal and replace
Thanks - it will be awhile - I'll need to wait for the weather and help - upstate NY stuff!!!

/ NH 489 Haybine - tongue removal and replace #12  
Thanks - it will be awhile - I'll need to wait for the weather and help - upstate NY stuff!!!

Not a problem. I have a few more months left in Afghanistan anyway!!

/ NH 489 Haybine - tongue removal and replace
Hawk,
We're having a streak of strange warm weather here - picked up the haybine today - loaded as you suggested with a skidsteer - and back on the road in about an hour. Traveled through two small cities - no problems Thank you!!!!

Bob

/ NH 489 Haybine - tongue removal and replace #14  
Hawk,
We're having a streak of strange warm weather here - picked up the haybine today - loaded as you suggested with a skidsteer - and back on the road in about an hour. Traveled through two small cities - no problems Thank you!!!!

Bob

Bob,
Sure thing! Glad it was helpful and that you were able to make the trip with no incidents.:thumbsup:

Thanks for the follow up and Happy Haying!!

Hawk

/ NH 489 Haybine - tongue removal and replace #15  
Hi Aaron
I have the tongue removed from my 489 and it is a bear of a job. Two pins to ermove (upper and lower ) 4 bolts in the front of the pto shaft on the hanger bearing then pull the pto shaft out of the front of the slipper clutch .Then support the haybine to take the weight off the tongue and pull out.What i need to do is replace the u-joint on the front of the slipper clutch ,but can't see how to do this without removing the gear box behind the slipper clutch to give enough clearance to take the front of the clutch out
Anyone hane any suggestions?
thanks
Bob

/ NH 489 Haybine - tongue removal and replace #16  
Good question. I would have to get out to where the haybine is parked and if that doesn't happen tonight, it probably wont happen until next week.
Personally, if you can, I would call or email Messicks (Messick's | Dealer for New Holland, Case IH, Kubota, Cub Cadet and More | Online Parts, Sales & Service.). They have exploded parts diagrams on their site (the one for the 489 is found at http://www.messicks.com/NH/52749.aspx ) and when I needed to rebuild the overrunning clutch for the crimper rollers, they walked me through the basics of what needed to be done on the phone.
One thing that I ran into on that was that it makes things much easier to get at if you remove the skid plates under that area. It took me ~20 mins to get them off and 45-60 mins to get them back on (working alone).

Aaron Z

/ NH 489 Haybine - tongue removal and replace #17  
Thanks for the info and web sites Aaron . I did go to a ford new holland dealer in my area but they were not willing to offer any help. I went to the john deere dealer to see if they had anything on it and they printed me off some pictures of the clutch that were helpful.In the mean time i have purchased a repair manual from ebay (hasn't arrived yet )
thanks again
Bob

/ NH 489 Haybine - tongue removal and replace #18  
The rear U-joint yoke floats on the slipclutch input shaft splines. To reassemble the tongue/shaft, remove three bolts retaining the front bearing housing in the tongue. Shove the shaft further into the tongue so enough sticks out to sling with a piece of wire or twine. Feed the tongue/shaft into the trailframe and connect the shaft to the slipclutch. Remove the sling, install the upper & lower pins & retaining hardware. put the shaft back in position (don't pull it too far!!!) and reinstall the bearing housing retaining bolts.
Back off the flotation spring tension prior to removing the tongue.

Thank you for the info