Buying Advice NH flail

/ NH flail #1  

No1umfan

Bronze Member
Tractor
Massey ferguson 135
There's a new holland 8 ft flail in my area for $1500. Seems high to me. What do you guys think. Has all it's knives and cosmetically looks pretty good. What kind of questions do I need to ask. What's the general quality oh NH flails?

/ NH flail #2  
I'd have to see pictures of it, but it probably is not too high. Not for an 8 footer. They are super heavy. What are you going to run it on? You will need over 40 pto hp to run it. 40 would be min. running on flat ground but once you go up hills you start to need more power.

/ NH flail
I have a kioto dk45se hst. It's 45 hp. The mower has been repainted so it looks pretty good. That's why I was asking what I need to check for to make sure I'm not missing something covered up by new paint.

/ NH flail #4  
Personally, I think an 8 ft flail is too much for the DK45 and would pass. You could try it if you are ok with the possibility of having to resell it. Some flails take more power than other because of drive train mass. I have had three flails, and still own two of them. I had a 7'6" Ford 907 and my 42 pto hp could barely run it in tall grass it had so much mass. Plus tall grass would wrap jam the heavy duty flails it had. I like my 6' and 5' flails. I will get an 88" at some point to run on my big tractor.

/ NH flail
Would it make any difference if it were actually 91" with flail width 88"?